Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #3691
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Thanks. I may attempt a repair myself, if I can get one that is working. Otherwise I will pay to have someone else work on it. :-)
Yep, I have a working model on it's way to me now. I will likely rip into the broken one after I shoot a few rolls through a working one.

11-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #3692
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm a fan of Retinas as well; actually the 2.8 lens can be more contrasty than the 2.0. Comparing to other cameras of the same era and general purpose, the Retinas are well thought out and have better lenses than most of the competition. About the only sharper lens is the f/2 Solagon on the Agfa/ANSCO Super Memar. But that lens has its own character, emphasizing sharpness over other rendering, so maybe not as balanced as the Retina lenses.
I had not heard of the Memar, but checking your Flicker site, see why I thought it was an Agfa Silette of some type. Looks as if it's 6 element lens is the competition for the Xenon. You make an interesting comment about the f2.8 vs f2.0. lenses. I have Retinas with the f2.8 Xenar, 2.8 Xenon and f2.0 Xenon. If there are differences in results, I have trouble seeing them. Gut feeling tells me that 6 lenses may not be useful with a f2.8 aperture, but have benefits of correction with F2.0 and wider. Do you think the Xenon at f2.8 has any advantage over the Xenar f2.8 lens? My thoughts are that if corrections are not needed at f2.8, the extra glass just becomes a source of reflections - which supports your comment about contrast differences.
11-05-2015, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #3693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't comment on the Xenar - not having tried one - but as much as I love(d) my IIa Xenon f/2, when I compare results the 2.8 Xenon is consistently sharper seeming - whether that's due to a 3 or 4 year age difference in lens coatings, or indeed that the 2.8 is easier to correct.

IIc with 2.8 Xenon

IIa with 2.0 Xenon

But the light bloom is fun to play with

11-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #3694
Marketplace Reseller

+1 on the Xenons. The 50mm f/1.9 Retina-Xenon found on the later Deckel mount bodies is one of my favorite lenses of all time, and I frequently use it with an adapter on my K3. The 50mm f/2.8 Deckel Retina Xenar is no slouch either, and quite a bit smaller than the Xenar, but is jjust missing something in its rendering that the Xenon has.

I can't comment on the Xenar - not having tried one - but as much as I love(d) my IIa Xenon f/2, when I compare results the 2.8 Xenon is consistently sharper seeming - whether that's due to a 3 or 4 year age difference in lens coatings, or indeed that the 2.8 is easier to correct.

IIc with 2.8 Xenon

IIa with 2.0 Xenon

But the light bloom is fun to play with

11-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #3695
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Truth be told, I don't know if I've ever used the "S" setting on my 90/2.8LS except by accident. (Which I'd discover due to blank frames on the roll. ) It's a very specialized setting, and I'm guessing it wasn't a popular one; the 165/4LS doesn't have it, from what I recall.
I've only used the "S" setting a couple times for taking double exposures with the 6x7 Tak 90/2.8LS. The issue is the viewfinder is blacked out after you press the camera shutter button, so you have to compose the 2nd (or 3rd, 4th and so on) shots "blind". You trip the LS with a cable release attached to the lens.

Not the best setup, but it does work. Yes the newer 165/4 LS does not have this feature.

Phil.
11-05-2015, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #3696
Loyal Site Supporter

That kitty is very appealing.

Before modern lens coatings, pioneered I believe by the SMC Takumars, adding lens elements usually meant reducing constrast which contributes to the perception of "sharpness." Most really good f2.8 normal lenses were four element Tessar-formula or close to Tessar configurations, the Tessar formula being one of the truly great breakthroughs in lens design. To get one more stop, f2, 1.9, 1.8 generally means at least 6 lenses, and as noted above, that adds additional reflecting surfaces = inevitable contrast and image degradation. Pushing physical limitations - larger aperture, wider wide angle, longer zoom range - almost always comes with some loss of IQ although modern coatings, ed glass and aspheric surfaces have allowed multiple focal lengths to achieve f1.4 with IQ that matches or surpasses the best Tessars of the past.
11-05-2015, 11:18 PM - 3 Likes   #3697
Site Supporter

Old standby (left) and newly acquired older brother (right):

The Mirar lens on the Flexaret IIa is a triplet, which makes me strongly suspect that the Belar on the Va is probably a Tessar-type.
There's a significant difference in weight between the two, which isn't surprising as the Va has far more complex machinery inside it. Though the IIa is also light even compared to my Yashicaflex, which is similar in functionality.

(I'm not actually using 400 speed film in these, but it seemed fitting to throw it on the table with them.)
11-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #3698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Old standby (left) and newly acquired older brother (right):

The Mirar lens on the Flexaret IIa is a triplet, which makes me strongly suspect that the Belar on the Va is probably a Tessar-type.
There's a significant difference in weight between the two, which isn't surprising as the Va has far more complex machinery inside it. Though the IIa is also light even compared to my Yashicaflex, which is similar in functionality.

(I'm not actually using 400 speed film in these, but it seemed fitting to throw it on the table with them.)

Beautiful cameras.

11-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #3699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Beautiful cameras.
+1.

In medium format, a triplet can beat a 4 element lens...
11-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #3700
Site Supporter

A new accessory for the Yashica Mat 124G thanks to my thrift store ... a cased "YASHINON AUX WIDEANGLE" with viewer lens.

Picked up the wide-angle plus a quite nice working Olympus 35 RC and case for 2 each ... see the "2" on top of camera. Bastards ...

I am going to a swap in Nantes on Sunday and I will try to trade away the left Mat G ... but, keeping the wide angle set, hood and hard case set

11-06-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #3701
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Picked up the wide-angle plus a quite nice working Olympus 35 RC and case for 2 each ... see the "2" on top of camera. Bastards ...
I know, right? It seems such a shame to ruin such a nice camera, by using a felt marker on the sticker. Sigh.
You should send that to me, I could live with that. :-)
11-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #3702
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, right? It seems such a shame to ruin such a nice camera, by using a felt marker on the sticker. Sigh.
Sometimes felt marker writing can be removed by gentle, persistent rubbing with alcohol.
11-06-2015, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3703
Site Supporter

I got the marked "2" off thanks to my trusty Scotch "Easy Clean Pen" ... works great.
11-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #3704
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sometimes felt marker writing can be removed by gentle, persistent rubbing with alcohol.
Merci, W
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Once after I gently and persistently rubbed my insides with alcohol I woke up with felt marker writing on me.