Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #3811
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I've always assumed that's the reason, to be honest. The Contax clones seems to have been about the only place where they decided to stick with a complicated mechanical design. (And then most likely because they got the equipment & technicians to do so. )
Could be that copying the Contax rangefinder with it's vertical travel roll-up garage door-style shutter was a mistake, as that shutter was both prone to breakdown and very expensive to repair.

01-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #3812
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Could be because the mechanical design was much simpler, especially because there's no instant-return mirror.
I assume you are talking about the Kiev Salyut first, then 80 and 88.

The mechanical design of the Hasselblad 1600/1000 was very complicated, it was designed by a watchmaker and the Swedes never made it work, the Soviets got obstinate and finally a Kiev is more reliable than a H1000, which is not to say much.

For the Contax, in the 30s it was the top camera (much more sophisticated than a Leica) and the vertical shutter was a great feature, Kiev Arsenal was more succesful with that design than with the Hasselblad.

I don't have a Kiev 2 or a Contax III but I've a IIa and a IIIa and they were superior to any Leica screwmount I have ever tried.
01-12-2016, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #3813
Veteran Member

This is my latest project, to add a wide angle to the "Baby" 2x3 Century.
The camera is from 1953 and is in very good condition.
The lens is from 1968 or so.
The lens board, the grip and the alignment "jigger" were made on my 1939 South Bend 9A lathe.
Attached Images

01-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #3814
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
This is my latest project, to add a wide angle to the "Baby" 2x3 Century.
The camera is from 1953 and is in very good condition.
The lens is from 1968 or so.
The lens board, the grip and the alignment "jigger" were made on my 1939 South Bend 9A lathe.
Nice.
I have a 4x5 speed graphic and a 2x3 Burke&James. I am trying to figure out what that alignment jig is for.

01-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #3815
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I am trying to figure out what that alignment jig is for.
Hi Mike,
It does the same job as the bed (rail) stops.
The jigger is adjusted initially after the front standard is set to infinity (or hyperfocal)
Then each time the lens is used, the jigger is set in place and the front standard is drawn out to contact it.

According to some of the guys on Apug, such jiggers were actually used, although I have yet to see a photo of one.
I just made it from their description.

The 2x3 century is capable of (limited) rise and tilt.
Here is its dof & vertical correction capability with the 103 mm Graftar:
https://app.box.com/s/guawvk0g2ods4g0xlms00t42pvyrpovl

Last edited by wombat2go; 01-12-2016 at 07:45 PM.
01-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #3816
Veteran Member

Hi Mike,
It does the same job as the bed (rail) stops.
The jigger is adjusted initially after the front standard is set to infinity (or hyperfocal)
Then each time the lens is used, the jigger is set in place and the front standard is drawn out to contact it.

According to some of the guys on Apug, such jiggers were actually used, although I have yet to see a photo of one.
I just made it from their description.

The 2x3 century is capable of (limited) rise and tilt.
Here is its dof & vertical correction capability with the 103 mm Graftar:
https://app.box.com/s/guawvk0g2ods4g0xlms00t42pvyrpovl

Ahh, I see. My speed graphic has the fold down stops. My B&J has the stops set all the way to the end of the bed.
But as I change lenses a lot, I don't use any stops at all, I just guesstimate a bit short of focal length, then use the view glass to nail the focus with a loupe.

I got my B&J because the old advertisements claimed it did rise, fall, shift, swing and tilt on the front.
Well, it doesn't.
Rather it didn't.
The front did tilt, and if you then set it as portrait, that tilt became swing. Duh.

I disassembled the front standard base and re built it with a swing function. Now it does have full movements on the front.
01-15-2016, 01:30 PM - 4 Likes   #3817
Pentaxian

Today's quick image from the "Daily Challenge" group ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-15-2016 at 01:46 PM.
01-17-2016, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some sunday gear to share. This arrived yesterday from Eric. He did a very fin job fixing the Asahiflex 1A early version. The shutter curtain was so dry that it almost fell apart, some of the letherette needed fixing and he also restored some of the paint work. I only paid $36 for the camera, so well worth paying Eric for the restore and CLA. Now I need to get a 50mm lens for this baby.

On the rear door, the word Asahi OptCo is engraved into the letherette. This I have never seen before.

In the pictures you also will see a Takumar 100mm with its original lens hood. Havn't seen many original lens hoods for these old lenses.

Enjoy![COLOR="Silver"]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 01-17-2016 at 11:25 AM.
01-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #3819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I had to take another picture. One is nice, but two makes it p0rn?
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice twins!

Phil.
Twins in a pRon thread is NSFW.

mrs. monochrome just looked over my shoulder and said, "NO!" So that for sure is NSF Home viewing either.
01-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #3820
Veteran Member

I disassembled the front standard base and re built it with a swing function. Now it does have full movements on the front.
Would like to see it.
01-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #3821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
This arrived yesterday from Eric. He did a very fin job fixing the Asahiflex 1A early version.
I would love to have one of these, especially a serviced one like yours. A real treasure.
01-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #3822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
twins in a pron thread is nsfw.

mrs. Monochrome just looked over my shoulder and said, "no!" so that for sure is nsf home viewing either. :d
rofl!!!
01-18-2016, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #3823
Veteran Member

Would like to see it.
here ya go.
This one is a normal, un moved set up. Note the copper lever at the bottom of the standard, that is my lock on shift and swing. The manufacturers knobs on side of standard, lock rise and tilt as normal.

OK, here I have shifted right, added rise, tilted down and swung to the left.
Better view of locking lever. Note that the rivets had to be removed from original standard support to allow the swing.
I hesitated to make this modification, because those rivets fastened the standard to the shifting mount.
Without those, the only supporting fastener would have to solidify and support the standard from a single point.

This shot shows shift right, rise, tilt up, and swing right. I had to add some brass washers to raise the standard above the groove that it was riveted into. I agonized for several weeks on making this mod, until I had completely visualized the entire process and how the result would work.

The locking lever, has a nut that I ground down to nearly the thickness of the copper sheet, that fits the bolt that comes up from the bottom. JB weld saved this project.
01-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #3824
Veteran Member

I agonized for several weeks on making this mod
ingenious
01-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #3825
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
my Minolta 35mm F1.8 came in today. seems like a sweet piece of glass. Can't wait to shoot it with my XK
I have 2 copies of this lens, a near mint and another that is very battered on the outside but has pristine glass... I sold my x570, one of my favorite cameras but kept the lens... I decided to buy a xd11 to keep using the 35mm f1.8... it is a must have.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Looks pretty good on mine . . . Ho - Ho - Ho . . .

It's not as awkward as the 58mm f1.2 on my XD-11!

As soon as I get my xd11 I will reenact this picture but with far more humble lenses hehehe