Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #3841
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote

Ronnie
That looks in great shape! Hope it works as well as it looks!

12-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #3842
Site Supporter

Ronnie, that XR-2 looks like a beautiful copy. It was the only camera I ever bought brand new and I got mine in 1978 with a XR Rikenon 50 f/2 for $329 Canadian.
12-24-2015, 02:40 AM   #3843
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That looks in great shape! Hope it works as well as it looks!
The shutter speed scale was loose in the viewfinder but that's been fixed. Otherwise it seems to work but I've not tried a film in it yet. :-)

Ronnie
12-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #3844
Site Supporter

Some of the great features on the Ricoh XR-2 I found particularly useful were 1/125 sec flash sync, viewfinder blind for exposures without an eye to the eyepiece, multiple exposure button, and good viewfinder info.
Ricoh put this model out shortly after Pentax took away the great K2 and KX and the XR-2 incorporated some things that were surprisingly similar to those two. For this similarity and a couple Ricoh XR lenses that appeared to have Pentax build some of us always wondered if there was a business connection between the two companies back in the seventies.

12-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #3845
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Some of the great features on the Ricoh XR-2 I found particularly useful were 1/125 sec flash sync, viewfinder blind for exposures without an eye to the eyepiece, multiple exposure button, and good viewfinder info.
Ricoh put this model out shortly after Pentax took away the great K2 and KX and the XR-2 incorporated some things that were surprisingly similar to those two. For this similarity and a couple Ricoh XR lenses that appeared to have Pentax build some of us always wondered if there was a business connection between the two companies back in the seventies.
The XR-2 also has the same shutter (Copal Square ES or is it SE) as the Nikkormat EL and EL2.

Ronnie
12-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #3846
Pentaxian

Ronnie, that XR-2 looks like a beautiful copy. It was the only camera I ever bought brand new and I got mine in 1978 with a XR Rikenon 50 f/2 for $329 Canadian.
Just noticed there is no third party Pentax body review section like there is for lenses. I think there should be especially for the Ricohs.

---------- Post added 12-24-15 at 03:31 PM ----------

The XR-2 also has the same shutter (Copal Square ES or is it SE) as the Nikkormat EL and EL2.

Ronnie
You probably meant Copal in a generic manner but I believe Seiko was used by Pentax and Nikon - and others, developed their own. Copal was used by Minolta and Leica and likely others too.
12-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #3847
Forum Member

Just noticed there is no third party Pentax body review section like there is for lenses. I think there should be especially for the Ricohs.

---------- Post added 12-24-15 at 03:31 PM ----------

You probably meant Copal in a generic manner but I believe Seiko was used by Pentax and Nikon - and others, developed their own. Copal was used by Minolta and Leica and likely others too.
No I didn't. :-)

Nikon used the mechanical and electronically timed Copal Squares in all the Nikkormats as well as the FM and the FE. Konica also used the mechanical one in the Autoreflex bodies. The Ricoh XR-1, XR-2 and KR-10 also used the Copal shutter (and maybe the KR-5 too?). I think Nikon and Ricoh both got hold of the Copal shutter since they had bodies made for them by Mamiya (Nikkorex F which was later sold by Ricoh still with the Nikon mount).

Pentax did use the Seiko MFC in the ME-Super and later bodies. The same Seiko MFC shutter was in the Nikon EM (probably the FG series too) and also the Minolta XD series. I believe the Chinons used the Seiko shutter too.

I believe the Nikon shutters in the FM2n and FE2 are both developments of the Copal Square which Copal may have had a hand in.

Ronnie
12-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #3848
Pentaxian

The same Seiko MFC shutter was in the Nikon EM (probably the FG series too) and also the Minolta XD series.
The Copal shutters were used in the Minolta/Leica collaborations of XE/R3 and XD/R4 series cameras.

---------- Post added 12-24-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

Nikkorex F which was later sold by Ricoh still with the Nikon mount
Not exactly. The Ricoh F mount will mount Nikon F mount lenses but the Nikons can't mount the Ricoh "F" mount lenses. Opening "A" and "B" pictured below are different.

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-24-2015 at 03:13 PM.
12-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #3849
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe you are correct for both the XR-2 and the Nikkormats. The original Nikkormat used the original Copal Square and the electronically controlled version made it into both Ricoh and Nikon products including, IIRC, the Nikon FE.

Steve
12-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #3850
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was definitely some cross-fertilization going on there. Eventually most of the features and components (shutters and such) of both Ricoh and Pentax made it into the models of both makers.

Steve
12-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #3851
Forum Member

The Copal shutters were used in the Minolta/Leica collaborations of XE/R3 and XD/R4 series cameras.

---------- Post added 12-24-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

Not exactly. The Ricoh F mount will mount Nikon F mount lenses but the Nikons can't mount the Ricoh "F" mount lenses. Opening "A" and "B" pictured below are different.
I wasn't aware of the differences in the Ricoh F mount. :-)

The XD series definititely do NOT have a Copal shutter. The shutter is identical to the Seiko in the ME-Super only downrated to a max 1/1000 speed for more reliability.

Ronnie
12-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #3852
Pentaxian

The XD series definititely do NOT have a Copal shutter. The shutter is identical to the Seiko in the ME-Super only downrated to a max 1/1000 speed for more reliability.

Ronnie
If the camera breakdown review of the XD-11 in the Jan 1979 Popular Photography can be relied on then you are correct as they list a Seiko MFC shutter instead of a Copal. I don't have the review for the Leica R4 to see what shutter was used in that since these were joint developments.

Interesting why Nikon didn't consider the vertical shutters good enough to use on their pro cameras until they addressed the issues with them before finally fitting them into the F4 -> Vol. 11. History of the Nikon cameras and shutter mechanisms (Part II)

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-25-2015 at 01:30 PM.
12-25-2015, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #3853

Apparently this one is fairly rare,

12-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #3854
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fishfood Quote
Apparently this one is fairly rare,

Yeah.

12-26-2015, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3855
Pentaxian

Managed to score on a bargain priced Nikkor to add to the lineup as I have been curious to compare viewfinder brightness and ability to achieve critical focus.