Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #3991
Veteran Member

I've got a lovely Exakta Varex IIa with a 50mm f2 Pancolar that I picked up a while back. It has the wrinkliest shutter curtains I have ever seen but someday I'll get it fixed and running properly again.

Last edited by edmundrt; 03-22-2016 at 02:21 PM.
03-22-2016, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #3992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Did you own a Asahi Pentax S in the 50's? wow!! Cool.
Yes, my first 35mm camera, coming off a hand-me-down roll-film folder which I wish I still had (Zeiss Ikonta, now a collector's item). Took me over a year saving allowance and mowing the lawn to get the $125 for the camera plus f2.2 preset Takumar. At first I used a hand-me-down Kalart flash gun that was really designed to go on a 4X5 press camera. It took screw-base flashbulbs the size of a 40 watt incandescent, but I got a reducing adapter so I could use smaller bayonet-fit FP bulbs. Neither Canon nor Nikon made an SLR at the time, although the original Canonflex (with its odd base-plate mounted lever wind) and the Nikon F were introduced within 12~18 months, I forget exactly how long. Other major 35mm SLR's available were Exacta, Contax S, Edixa, Practina, Practica and maybe Alpa. Practina had the most impressive list of lenses and accessories. Other than an instant-return mirror, one major advantage of Pentax at the time, although I did not realize it when I purchased, was a far superior viewfinder. Discovered that later when someone let me hold their "quality" German-made Exacta, and in a camera store when I looked through a Contax S viewfinder. "Primitive" is the word that comes to mind.
03-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #3993
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I've got a lovely Exacta Varex IIa with a 50mm f2 Pancolar that I picked up a while back. It has the wrinkliest shutter curtains I have ever seen but someday I'll get it fixed and running properly again.
Gorgeous...
My copy has a near perfect shutter curtain and a roll of double X loaded btw
I have a Meyer Optik Gorlitz 50/2.8 for it too, it currently sits on my EXA 1 though

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes, my first 35mm camera, coming off a hand-me-down roll-film folder which I wish I still had (Zeiss Ikonta, now a collector's item). Took me over a year saving allowance and mowing the lawn to get the $125 for the camera plus f2.2 preset Takumar. At first I used a hand-me-down Kalart flash gun that was really designed to go on a 4X5 press camera. It took screw-base flashbulbs the size of a 40 watt incandescent, but I got a reducing adapter so I could use smaller bayonet-fit FP bulbs. Neither Canon nor Nikon made an SLR at the time, although the original Canonflex (with its odd base-plate mounted lever wind) and the Nikon F were introduced within 12~18 months, I forget exactly how long. Other major 35mm SLR's available were Exacta, Contax S, Edixa, Practina, Practica and maybe Alpa. Practina had the most impressive list of lenses and accessories. Other than an instant-return mirror, one major advantage of Pentax at the time, although I did not realize it when I purchased, was a far superior viewfinder. Discovered that later when someone let me hold their "quality" German-made Exacta, and in a camera store when I looked through a Contax S viewfinder. "Primitive" is the word that comes to mind.
Interesting information and I have to admit that while the Exakta is a joy to use from a mechanical point of view, then it is not equipped with the best finder I have seen, which make sense given your explanation.

---------- Post added 03-22-2016 at 06:04 PM ----------

Hi

Here is my K-3 showing off with a Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 50mm f3.5 (version 3), taking a self portrait. It looks good and really tiny. A bit difficult to use since the pre-set mechanism ends up upside down when mounting it on the camera. And the lens is so tiny that it doesn't cover the two small slots on the m42->K adapter, there is a big chance for light leaking into the mirror box. This can be seen on the last image.

The last image show my K-3 joined by a Asahiflex Ia with a Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 100mm f3,5 and the Asahiflex lens hood. The oldes camera was produced sometime between May 1953 and September 1954, and the K-3 is from after October 2013, the gun-metal version introduced in 2014 (?).
Now that 100/3.5 I am very jealous of... very nice looking classics
03-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #3994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Now that 100/3.5 I am very jealous of... very nice looking classics
Thanks. It looks and feels nice! also a bit hard to use, since the aperture numbers and distance ends up upside down when in use.

Cheers
Baard-Einar

03-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #3995

Thanks. It looks and feels nice! also a bit hard to use, since the aperture numbers and distance ends up upside down when in use.
And backwards, from the look of it.

03-23-2016, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #3996

I just got this from a flea market: A Takumar 58 f 2
It needs a CLA but lens seems good
Name:  20160323_104955.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  137.6 KB
03-23-2016, 03:19 AM   #3997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
And backwards, from the look of it.

You know, selfie with a mirror

---------- Post added 03-23-2016 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Juventino Quote
Attachment 303670
From a flea market? Wow really nice find

03-23-2016, 03:53 AM   #3998
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Attachment 303670
That does bring back memories, although I cannot make out if is an "S" or the semi-automatic "K."
03-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #3999

That does bring back memories, although I cannot make out if is an "S" or the semi-automatic "K."
I think it is an "Original": Max shutter speed of 1/500 and no "S" or "K" written on the top
03-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #4000
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good catch !
That 58/2 lens is a 'Sonnar' design, and is very valuable.
Those usually came on Pentax 'AP's.

Last edited by Moe49; 03-24-2016 at 05:46 AM.
03-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #4001
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I've got a lovely Exakta Varex IIa with a 50mm f2 Pancolar that I picked up a while back. It has the wrinkliest shutter curtains I have ever seen but someday I'll get it fixed and running properly again.
I almost bought one like that, but as with yours the shutter was not right. Still though, I was impressed with the camera overall with the exception of the shape. I would need some sort of grip for my hand size.

Steve
03-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #4002
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rewind knob is chrome on the Ap and S. It is black on the K.
03-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #4003
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I almost bought one like that, but as with yours the shutter was not right.
It seems to be a common problem with Exaktas as almost every one I've ever seen that hasn't been refurbished has had wrinkled shutter curtains. Whatever they made them with, it hasn't held up well to time.
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #4004
Veteran Member

Yes, they're very susceptible to wrinkling and also to pinholes - held up to the light, mine looks like Swiss cheese. When I see one going cheaply I might pick up one of the later Exa bodies to use my Pancolar on - it's too good a lens to see it go to waste on a shelf.

Also, on the gear p0rn front, I have something very rare and exciting winging its way from Japan as we speak...
03-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #4005
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The rewind knob is chrome on the Ap and S. It is black on the K.
So the pictured one is a model "S" just as mine was.