Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #406

Photos: Albums
The latest addition to the family ― a Fujifilm X100s (left). (Minolta Hi-Matic F rangefinder on the right).

06-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My latest addition to the family via a 3€ thrift store purchase ... everything works, but the case has to be trashed ...

06-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My dad and I both thought the SRT 101 needed shutter service, but it turns out that all it needed was for the MLU switch to be placed in the off position. New seals/foam (thank you, Jon Goodman) and a MR-9 adapted silver cell and we appear to be fully functional and ready for film. As for the SRT 102...I replaced the seals and it seems to be working correctly except that the shutter simply does not sound right. The camera has a big dent on the prism housing as evidence of a hard knock at some point. I will have to put a test roll through at some point.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
My latest addition to the family via a 3€ thrift store purchase ... everything works, but the case has to be trashed ...
Being a Pentax and Retina man, I had no idea about the Minolta SRT series until I picked one up at a swap meet. It really impressed me with it's heft and quality. The shutter has a distinctive sound. They seem slightly bigger than the K series, but the quality is just as good. Enjoy these metal jewels. To me the MC lenses appear to be better made than the MD versions. I had three of mine converted to 1.5 volts, but for my SRT 303b I sent away for the 1.3 v Wein air cells, as it was still original. The 1.5 volt battery on it caused erratic readings..

Last edited by arnold; 06-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.
06-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #409

QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
The latest addition to the family ― a Fujifilm X100s (left). (Minolta Hi-Matic F rangefinder on the right).
wow that's uncanny

06-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #410
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
...They seem slightly bigger than the K series, but the quality is just as good. Enjoy these metal jewels. To me the MC lenses appear to be better made than the MD versions. I had three of mine converted to 1.5 volts, but for my SRT 303b I sent away for the 1.3 v Wein air cells, as it was still original. The 1.5 volt battery on it caused erratic readings..
My SRT 101 was made in 1969 (black shutter dial and cross-head screws) and would have been market competition with the Spotmatic. At first glance, the Spotmatic looks to be a much smaller camera, though in reality it is only a few millimeters smaller in each dimension. My Pentax KX (just a hair taller than the Spotmatic) is still smaller in comparison and in the hand than the SRT 101. The main item of bulk on the Minolta is the 58mm f/1.4 normal lens which dwarfs the equivalent Super-Takumar. Minolta offered a somewhat smaller 55/1.7, but it is my understanding that most SRT 101 were sold with the f/1.4.

In the hand, both cameras are well-balanced and handle nicely, but the award in this category goes to the Spotmatic. I would expect that a camera salesman at the time would have contrasted the size and handling of the Pentax vs. the advanced feature set of the Minolta. Both cameras have comparable excellent build, though it would be appropriate to note that the Minolta is a much more sophisticated design. (Two thumbs up to Minolta in regards to their battery cover...much better in every way than the Pentax product.) Speaking of batteries, as Arnold noted the SRT Minoltas were calibrated to use the 1.3v mercury cells and unlike the Spotmatic, they are voltage dependent. I have a MR-9 adapter that provides voltage step-down for a 1.5v silver cell, though it is also possible to wire a diode into the meter circuit to accomplish the same thing. (Two thumbs down to Minolta for putting the meter switch on the bottom of the camera...what could they possibly have been thinking.)

I suppose I should do a group shot of my 1969-vintage SLRs. I have representatives from Pentax, Minolta, Mamiya/Sekor, and Ricoh covering the range from budget to fairly expensive. They all look pretty similar and except for Pentax, are all about the same size and weight, though each is distinctively different in actual use.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-05-2013 at 05:14 AM.
06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #411

I was feeling rather bored this evening, so I decided to mix my two passions together: photography and music (a Pentax K-5 on an Ampeg bass amp). I shot this with my new Fujifilm X100s at f/2. (Photo editing done in Lightroom)

"Blue-black passion no.1"

"Blue-black passion no.2"

"Blue-black passion no.3"

Last edited by Into The Lens; 06-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.
06-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #412

Very nice – looks solid. And I like the pattern on the Ampeg. Very stylisch.

My favourite Portrait machines:

06-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #413

Now if I could only get her working... conceding it could be user error. I like the slight yellowing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My latest acquisition - The Pentax SMCP-K 55mm f/1.8

06-11-2013, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #415
Pentaxian

WARNING : CHEAP RUSSIAN P0RN

Another thrift store score : a Zenit EM ('80 model by serial #) with Helios 44M 58/2 with original lens cap and camera case. Everything works, even the meter, but the leather smells like old shoes ... oh well, I cannot complain too much for the pricey sum of 3€ ... yeah! Gotta buy a roll of Ilford Delta 100 at my B&M shop and test it out ... only downside is that the Helios is quite stiff ... normal bad lubricant used in these Russian lens, but I have others to substitute for it until I find the time to "CLA" it ... another into the collection, J (x posted "latest acquisition" thread)

06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My latest acquisition - The Pentax SMCP-K 55mm f/1.8
Great lens, hope you like it.

Phil.
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #417
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
only downside is that the Helios is quite stiff
This is normal. Fortunately the lens is pretty easy to strip down for lube. There are instructions on the Web.

Steve
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is normal. Fortunately the lens is pretty easy to strip down for lube. There are instructions on the Web.

Steve
Thanks Steve for the tip ... Salut, J
06-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #419

Nothing beats a Russian beauty with a little lube.
06-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just picked up a second one of these and posted the resultant film. Sending it away for a CLA as the shutter occasionally freezes. Bought it for the leather case mostly.