Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #4276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I look at this photo, the song "Blonde on Blonde" floats into my head...

Pentax 67 | Takumar 6x7 105/2.4 | Provia 400x | V750 scan

07-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #4277
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I just bought this handsome machine from a gentleman in my neighbourhood, with the 50mm f/1.7 (which is the same as the one I already had) for €30. He was the original owner and has obviously taken great care of it, it seems to work perfectly.

When he bought it (late 60s??), he walked over the mountains from Catalunya to Andorra and back to get the camera cheaper and avoid customs.

IMGP0726
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

IMGP0728
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Damn, nice Black SRT 101! I have a chrome SRT 102 with lens kit and they make great photos. I'm keeping an eye out for a black SRT 101 to go with it.
07-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #4278
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Somebody here said no Carl Zeiss Jena was as good as a Takumar in term of building quality.

Today I received this sort of bazooka, and I think that yes, it's equal or better than a Tak...it's wonderfully built.

Quoting Wedge Antilles:"Look at the size of that thing!"

I was lucky to find a Sonnar 200mm f28 with electric connectors for my VLC3, so I can enjoy open metering with this beast.

The small BC3 is invisible in front of this huge lens, the Praktica PB adapter is much better than the Pentax K, easy to fix, but it can't read open metering and it transform the lens is a preset one.

Included in the package there is a nice metal screw in hood, caps and original leather case.

I also received another esoteric lens, I think it's a japanese third party one, not even close to the Zeiss building quality but 18-28mm zooms are rare and I got it for a decent price.

Does anybody know what it is?
07-07-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #4279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote

I also received another esoteric lens, I think it's a japanese third party one, not even close to the Zeiss building quality but 18-28mm zooms are rare and I got it for a decent price.

I'm pretty sure that's a Samyang built lens.

07-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #4280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm also pretty sure I recall a Samyang of that focal length being available. Have you checked for any other lettering or symbols near inside the front outer rim without the filter attached. However, a google search turned up this thread right here on PF with reference to a review in the 2nd entry.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/254726-samy...28mm-lens.html
07-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #4281
Pentaxian

The image from that review certainly looks similar:

07-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #4282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm pretty sure that's a Samyang built lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I'm also pretty sure I recall a Samyang of that focal length being available. Have you checked for any other lettering or symbols near inside the front outer rim without the filter attached. However, a google search turned up this thread right here on PF with reference to a review in the 2nd entry.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/254726-samy...28mm-lens.html
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The image from that review certainly looks similar:
Yes you guys are right, that's the lens....I assume it's not that great, the building quality is also iffy in comparison to the Olympia Sonnar but I thought it would have been handy to have a 18mm.

07-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #4283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not sure it it was precisely the same version, but I had a Rikenon 50mm f1.4 when I was using two Ricoh XRM bodies. It was one of the most beautifully finished lenses I've ever handled. The focus action was absolutely perfect - butter smooth with no hint of looseness. However, the IQ was disappointing. I never found it as satisfactory at any aperture as the f1.4 Takumar on my Spotmatic.
I finally got some pics of this lens with the XR2S, it's not bad,I would rate it better than a M50mm f1.4 but not better than a K50mm f1.4, good sharpness, goos colours, wild bokeh....I used Fuji 200 and a polarizing filter that I assume helped a lot:

07-12-2016, 10:14 PM - 5 Likes   #4284
Veteran Member

Ooops... I did it again.

1977 Kiev 4A, black. It came with a silver Jupiter-8, but this is with my Helios-103 on it which I prefer.
07-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #4285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ooops... I did it again.

1977 Kiev 4A, black. It came with a silver Jupiter-8, but this is with my Helios-103 on it which I prefer.
That's real purdy...
07-13-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #4286
Veteran Member

That's real purdy...
Innit just? I've a thing for black and chrome things that tend black. Mostly I just wanted an older one without the selenium meter to carry and hold easier since I've only used that meter (it still works accurately on my 4M amazingly) a handful of times and really just for kicks. This 4A one is definitely a little less awkward to handle but feels older & stiffer, though just using it seems to be loosening it back up. Hope the shots turn out as well as the 4M - I'd like it to become a regular.
07-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #4287
Veteran Member

Innit just? I've a thing for black and chrome things that tend black. Mostly I just wanted an older one without the selenium meter to carry and hold easier since I've only used that meter (it still works accurately on my 4M amazingly) a handful of times and really just for kicks. This 4A one is definitely a little less awkward to handle but feels older & stiffer, though just using it seems to be loosening it back up. Hope the shots turn out as well as the 4M - I'd like it to become a regular.
I was just yesterday drooling over a gorgeous Contax IIa and Sonnar 50/2...
07-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #4288
Veteran Member

Got it.

With a Sonnar 1.5. And a Biogon 2.8...both of them West Germany of course.

However these black Kievs and Feds are lovely and well made, I would also like to get one, but at the moment my purchase is limited to two Soviet M42 lenses:

I don't like the fact they are preset but you can't have everything in life, I heard good things about the Tair, not so much about the Mir 1v, but I got for a £20 extra so I assume I can't complain.
07-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #4289
Veteran Member

I've done the same off and on as well - same setup - but can't justify it given the results I get from this Soviet combination. Someday perhaps - but this experience is pretty close I'd reckon. They're definitely better feeling/handling than the Soviet "Leica" counterparts.

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Got it.

With a Sonnar 1.5. And a Biogon 2.8...both of them West Germany of course.

However these black Kievs and Feds are lovely and well made, I would also like to get one
As near as I can tell from my research the past year or so, black was never a factory color. I've read that any which are found to be black are done by a certain repairman back in the early days (cannot recall where he was located) or just by average folk more recently. No real way to know when-or-how my '77 copy became black - it does havea very slight "orange peel" look to the finish, but I don't really care. It was cheap and looks good to me. Might not be a factory-quality job, but it's pretty darn well done. (Though "factory quality" in FSU camera plants is up to interpretation!)

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 03:04 PM ----------

Hmmmm... perhaps there are some original factory black copies. (Now I'd like to take a closer look at mine)
Genuine Black Kiev 4 - Rangefinderforum.com
07-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #4290
Veteran Member

I've done the same off and on as well - same setup - but can't justify it given the results I get from this Soviet combination. Someday perhaps - but this experience is pretty close I'd reckon. They're definitely better feeling/handling than the Soviet "Leica" counterparts.

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 03:01 PM ----------

As near as I can tell from my research the past year or so, black was never a factory color. I've read that any which are found to be black are done by a certain repairman back in the early days (cannot recall where he was located) or just by average folk more recently. No real way to know when-or-how my '77 copy became black - it does havea very slight "orange peel" look to the finish, but I don't really care. It was cheap and looks good to me. Might not be a factory-quality job, but it's pretty darn well done. (Though "factory quality" in FSU camera plants is up to interpretation!)

---------- Post added 07-13-16 at 03:04 PM ----------

Hmmmm... perhaps there are some original factory black copies. (Now I'd like to take a closer look at mine)
Genuine Black Kiev 4 - Rangefinderforum.com
Yes they were made by an artist in Kiev in the late 90s as far as I remember.

To be honest I don't care, these cameras are common and the result is professional, also in order to get that quality they had to disassemble the camera and I assume they reput it together in a better way Arsenal did the first time. :P