Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #4306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

New-to-me Mamiya C330 with Newer-to-me 180/4.5.

07-26-2016, 03:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4307
Pentaxian

My recent 6x7 acquisitions ... another non-MLU ...

07-26-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #4308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, Jean, now you something for candid street photography.
BTW: Only once did I encounter someone using a 6X7, way back (1990's) on the Virgin Islands, a commercial photographer, on a beach, photographing one of two beautiful women standing in the water (they were changing outfits in a tiny tent), He had one assistant to hold a big oval reflector, and another to hand him a second 6X7 body and reload the first. What was the assignment? A magazine ad for perfume. All that trouble and expense, and a beautiful woman standing in gentle surf, to sell perfume???

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-26-2016 at 03:49 AM.
07-26-2016, 04:48 AM   #4309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
So, Jean, now you something for candid street photography. ...
Yeah ... Stealth photography at its best and nothing compared to these guys at I picked up at my thrift store for 2€ each ... the 35/2.8 is really, really small ...

07-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #4310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. Purchased one of those for my daughter (think it is still around the house somewhere - must look for it). Those clamshell all-auto 35mm cameras were really, well, nifty. Better protected in your pocket than most current retractable-lens P&S digitals, and they have a much larger "sensor"
07-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #4311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
My recent 6x7 acquisitions ... another non-MLU ...
Even a non-MLU 6x7 is always a win Very nice, Jean!

BTW: Only once did I encounter someone using a 6X7, way back (1990's) on the Virgin Islands, a commercial photographer, on a beach, photographing one of two beautiful women standing in the water (they were changing outfits in a tiny tent), He had one assistant to hold a big oval reflector, and another to hand him a second 6X7 body and reload the first. What was the assignment? A magazine ad for perfume. All that trouble and expense, and a beautiful woman standing in gentle surf, to sell perfume???
I am pretty sure that for a lot of people, mine is the only 6x7 they have ever seen in the wild. I know I haven't seen a second one. But hey, those perfume ads have to come from somewhere, don't they? Look at the expense people go through now to make elaborate, special effects-heavy commercials, to sell...what exactly? Car insurance? A new phone? Things haven't changed.
07-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #4312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Even a non-MLU 6x7 is always a win Very nice, Jean!

I am pretty sure that for a lot of people, mine is the only 6x7 they have ever seen in the wild. I know I haven't seen a second one. But hey, those perfume ads have to come from somewhere, don't they? Look at the expense people go through now to make elaborate, special effects-heavy commercials, to sell...what exactly? Car insurance? A new phone? Things haven't changed.
Amen to that, but at the time I had trouble linking a lady standing in the surf to perfume - a bathing suit, sun screen, a shady hat, after-swim wrap: sure - but perfume?? Then again I've seen car ads with a sedan - not a 4X4 - parked on or zipping along a beach, even splashing up a bit of water. Where and how am I supposed to drive this car? The whole purpose, I surmise, is to catch your eye so you read the ad, and to insert an image into your memory that you link indelibly with the product, however illogical the juxtaposition of product and location

07-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #4313
Veteran Member

Amen to that, but at the time I had trouble linking a lady standing in the surf to perfume - a bathing suit, sun screen, a shady hat, after-swim wrap: sure - but perfume?? Then again I've seen car ads with a sedan - not a 4X4 - parked on or zipping along a beach, even splashing up a bit of water. Where and how am I supposed to drive this car? The whole purpose, I surmise, is to catch your eye so you read the ad, and to insert an image into your memory that you link indelibly with the product, however illogical the juxtaposition of product and location
I think just the very fact that I didn't see the juxtaposition until you pointed it out is proof that the ad men are right
07-26-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #4314
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, Jean, now you something for candid street
photography.
I've done it with my 6x7, but it's not easy. The "candid" generally disappears after the first time that shutter fires.

Untitled
by Andrew, on Flickr
07-26-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #4315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I've done it with my 6x7, but it's not easy. The "candid" generally disappears after the first time that shutter fires.

Untitled
by Andrew, on Flickr
Absolutely. The shutter is a little loud That's why I'm looking forward to doing more shooting with my C330.

Good thing for the 6x7 in those situations, that sound is slower than light is
07-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #4316
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

IIRC, @Rense does street photography with a 6x7 using the waist-level finder.

Steve
07-27-2016, 02:17 AM   #4317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
They should have come with a silencer...
07-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #4318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, @Rense does street photography with a 6x7 using the waist-level finder.

Steve
I believe that one of the authors on the Luminous Landscape (which is now a pay system) decided to shoot street from far away with a huge tripod with a gimbal, a 67II and a 600mm f/4. An odd choice, but it works.

I love shooting mine in street-like locations. I shot it at the Rennaissance Fair and Colonial Williamsburg on the street, and got some really good stuff.
07-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #4319
Veteran Member

My latest addition... Busch Pressman D 4x5 with Caltar II-N 150/5.6
Next to my 67 it looks big, but it's actually quite compact for a 4x5 camera.

07-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #4320
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
My latest addition... Busch Pressman D 4x5 with Caltar II-N 150/5.6
Next to my 67 it looks big, but it's actually quite compact for a 4x5 camera.

Very nice

You are going to like the Caltar. I like mine.

Steve