Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #4456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I have these guys, too. Plus an MX and another LX body.

Enjoy the LX. They are very special.
I have an ME-F floating around somewhere too but it has the dreaded winder issue...One of these days I'll take it apart and play with it. Right now I'm happy with the 3 working bodies I have. The K1000 is what I learned on and has sort of been retired, but it still works so I may take it out now and again. I really like the handling of the ME-Super, especially for street photography.

The LX will fit nicely in the middle, I'll use it mostly for portraiture and pictures of the family. I can already tell just handling the LX around the house that it is something special. Already looking to see what all finders and focusing screens are available. Very interested in getting a grip for it too.

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 08-16-2016 at 02:02 PM.
08-19-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #4457

Finally found a decent FED-2 (D) from a domestic seller at a decent price. Came with a Fed-3 case but I'll live.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Archimedes the Dog; 08-19-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Forgot the variant
08-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #4458
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A quick lineup of family hand me downs.

I hope to clean up and test the 3 120 format fella's - if I do I will post some better pictures.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
08-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #4459

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote

I hope to clean up and test the 3 120 format fella's - if I do I will post some better pictures.
Charming group!

08-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #4460
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Finally found a decent FED-2 (D) from a domestic seller at a decent price. Came with a Fed-3 case but I'll live.
Mine looks a lot like yours and is very fun to shoot. Congratulations!

Steve
08-19-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #4461

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mine looks a lot like yours and is very fun to shoot. Congratulations!

Steve
Yours is the one that got me onto them!
08-20-2016, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #4462
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my FED2. Great fun, when I remember to take the lens cap off...
08-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #4463
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Always important. Important too to put it back on! Fried shutter (courtesy of solar energy) is a persistent risk!

Steve

08-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #4464

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Always important. Important too to put it back on! Fried shutter (courtesy of solar energy) is a persistent risk!

Steve
Mine is missing the lens cap but the case covers it. Ordering a replacement once I validate the working condition of the camera.
08-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #4465

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
With my folding camera it's that i forget to take the filter off when switching to color film
08-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #4466
Veteran Member

With my folding camera it's that i forget to take the filter off when switching to color film
Luckily with my folder it won't fold with a filter on, so I don't have that problem. I used to forget to focus, but I soon learnt that lesson. 120 film is too expensive to waste on blurry images!
08-21-2016, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #4467

Early birthday present.
08-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #4468
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wbsmith200 Quote

Early birthday present.
QuoteOriginally posted by wbsmith200 Quote
Early birthday present.
Nice - great combo there.
08-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #4469
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote

Look forward to what these can do. What format are they? Size 6x9, 6x6?

---------- Post added 22-08-16 at 10:02 ----------

The old folders require a presence of mind:
1) Open, and advance the film with the wind knob.
2) cock the shutter,
3) estimate the focus distance.
4) estimate exposure to set aperture and
5) set speed.
After exposure advance film if you don't want to risk a double exposure.
Remember that a half press will lock out the release on cameras that use this method to prevent double exposures.
08-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #4470
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
After exposure advance film if you don't want to risk a double exposure.
Remember that a half press will lock out the release on cameras that use this method to prevent double exposures.
Thanks for the process and the double exposure tips Arnold, that will be very helpful.

I've found a few double exposed negatives in the collection of images shot on these cameras. And I've done that myself - image below is a crop from a commercially processed roll of 116 shot in 1972 with the Kodak 1A Autographic Junior on the right when I was taking a photography course in school.

In order from left to right the others are all 120 format - Kodak No. 2 Brownie Model F, Agfa Billy Record, Voigtlander Bessa RF. I believe they will all produce 6 x 9 images. It is my understanding the Bessa had a mask you could insert for 6 x 4.5 but I don't have that with mine.

I've found someone locally who will process 120 B&W for me. Hoping to do some retro photography at a fall harvest festival on the Labour Day weekend. My plan is to check out the bellows on the Agfa and Bessa before then and be sure I can rig up a tripod or monopod. I have some 1972 handheld shots from the Kodak 1A taken indoors that are not very sharp.

I've been really surprised by the quality of some of the images from the cameras given the right conditions. I think I am lucky to have them, and also to have some of the prints and negatives they have produced.

If I produce anything worthwhile I'll start a new thread in one of the other areas so I don't steer this one off any more than I already have.
Attached Images