Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #4531
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,079
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wanted a Mat 124G so badly when I was in my teens and would probably jump at a clean one if I came across one today. Beautiful camera.Steve

We always called a Yashicamat the "poor man's Rolleiflex." Holding one you could probably tell the difference in build quality, but I doubt anyone faced with 30 or so B&W prints some made with a 'mat, others with a Rollei, would be able to do better than random chance sorting them out.

09-09-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #4532
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 266
Received a different FED-2, this one recently CLA'ed, in the to-me-more-desirable (B) model, in the dusky red color. I got it for a song.

My lens is off being CLA'ed at the moment. The grease was likely original and it was stiff to focus.

09-10-2016, 03:48 AM - 5 Likes   #4533
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,550
Pentax K Camera P0rn

I got really lucky the other night. A local listing on a classified website had a Pentax K advertised. I didn't hesitate. I bought it sight unseen.

What I didn't realise was the package in wait. Original boxes, manuals and advertising material. And original purchase receipt!!!!

Enjoy















09-10-2016, 04:08 AM   #4534
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,655
^^^ Wow! What a great find. It looks to be in really great condition, too! Congratulations!

09-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #4535
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
F6, 105mm/f2.8, TMax 100, HC-110, X1 scan:











I have been having trouble lately with Paterson reels getting sticky despite thorough rinsing after use and a good brushing to remove residue. So I spent last night practicing with Hewes 35 and 120 reels and this film was developed entirely in metal (Hewes and Nikor tank).

Chris
Lovely collection, i am espexially find of the Leica M and the medium format. Premium stuff! I have buildup on my reels too but it hasnt caused issues for me yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here's some p0rn shot on film (Pentax 645 to be precise) of one of my Yashica Mat 124Gs.


Pentax 645 Rollei RPX 100 003a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


Pentax 645 Rollei RPX 100 004a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Lovely shots of a lovely camera. Part of me thinks pictures of camwras on film is a bit weird but i dig it.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wanted a Mat 124G so badly when I was in my teens and would probably jump at a clean one if I came across one today. Beautiful camera.


Steve
Go for it. They are fantastic for the price. I loved mine. I had to pass it on after i got a C330. I still have my Yashica 635 which has the same superb Yashinon lens.
09-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #4536
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,182
QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
I have been having trouble lately with Paterson reels getting sticky
I have changed over to the Samigon plastic reels
One is shown at the front in this photo with the old gray plastic ones at the rear.
https://app.box.com/s/28pp1anl5lj87qdzzhw4gfus51vty31q

The Samigon ESA325 reels are of a slippery white plastic and are of similar dimensions, but weigh 50% more than the gray ones.

On each side are 2 pairs of larger tabs, forming a slot making it much easier to feed the film in.
Mine are still new, and so far the film catching /sticking problems are not occurring.
I still run a pencil "lead" around the spiral and balls, after drying and before each use.
09-13-2016, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4537
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
My mother works with someone whose husband, a photographer, passed on a few years ago. I was lucky and honored to be able to pick up a large chunk of his film camera collection. His children took all his Nikon glass and DSLR stuff.

This is the Retina IIa he had.







The Retina IIa is a fixed-lens, all-mechanical, all-manual rangefinder. the 50mm f/2 is very sharp and it focuses down to about 2.5 feet from the user. It's also very compact; hardly bigger than my Rx100 when it's in its ever-ready case. I adore it.

Thank you, Gary.
09-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #4538
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,079
Those folding Retinas were among the very best compact, fixed-lens 35mm cameras ever made. With manual exposure determination, you had to know what you were doing and preferably carry along a separate light meter. I think Kodak's attempts to incorporate a selenium-cell meter into the Retina line kind of spoiled the camera. The f2 lenses were, as I recall, made by Schneider and were excellent at the apertures used for 90% of the images taken.

09-13-2016, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #4539
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,436
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My mother works with someone whose husband, a photographer, passed on a few years ago. I was lucky and honored to be able to pick up a large chunk of his film camera collection. His children took all his Nikon glass and DSLR stuff.

This is the Retina IIa he had.







The Retina IIa is a fixed-lens, all-mechanical, all-manual rangefinder. the 50mm f/2 is very sharp and it focuses down to about 2.5 feet from the user. It's also very compact; hardly bigger than my Rx100 when it's in its ever-ready case. I adore it.

Thank you, Gary.
This just sinfully beautiful.


Steve
09-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #4540
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,343
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My mother works with someone whose husband, a photographer, passed on a few years ago. I was lucky and honored to be able to pick up a large chunk of his film camera collection. His children took all his Nikon glass and DSLR stuff.

This is the Retina IIa he had.

The Retina IIa is a fixed-lens, all-mechanical, all-manual rangefinder. the 50mm f/2 is very sharp and it focuses down to about 2.5 feet from the user. It's also very compact; hardly bigger than my Rx100 when it's in its ever-ready case. I adore it.

Thank you, Gary.
Beautiful camera. You can tell just by looking at it that it will be a pleasure to use.
09-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #4541
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Those folding Retinas were among the very best compact, fixed-lens 35mm cameras ever made. With manual exposure determination, you had to know what you were doing and preferably carry along a separate light meter. I think Kodak's attempts to incorporate a selenium-cell meter into the Retina line kind of spoiled the camera. The f2 lenses were, as I recall, made by Schneider and were excellent at the apertures used for 90% of the images taken.
I am finding that mine is an absolute gem, extremely compact and lovely to use in every way. The only disadvantage to the small size is the VF window is pretty squinty, and you can forget about using glasses or shades while shooting it. I am carrying a Sekonic incident/reflective meter from the same batch of gear, but end up using sunny 16 and my eyes for most of it. I had a IIIc that had the built in meter, and that meter was inaccurate at best.

I haven't gotten anything out of this one, but it does have the F/2 Schneider and it looks beautiful. I have seen other users' output and this is just an outstanding lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This just sinfully beautiful.


Steve
Thank you. I used the LED light from a document camera in a dark room. I'm glad you like the results as much as I do!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Beautiful camera. You can tell just by looking at it that it will be a pleasure to use.
I have run a roll of color through it, and have a roll of HP5+ in it now. It's been lovely! The only problem is that the thing is so small and the door blocks enough of the right-hand side that it's hard to grip. I end up doing a thumb-under grip with the right hand. The rangefinder is gorgeous, the shutter is super quiet, and the winding mechanism is superb. This thing is a masterpiece and I forsee it becoming my carry-everywhere film camera in much the same way my Sony Rx100 is my carry-everywhere digital.

It's hard to appreciate in my photos, but it really is a tiny camera.



Today I was at work and a buddy showed me the camera he bought for a photo class. The lens on the front was very special and I gave him $100 for it on the spot.



It's an SMC Pentax-F 17-28 f/3.5-4.5 fisheye. Full-frame fisheye zoom with full aperture control and autofocus. $100 was win-win pricing since he paid $40 for the camera and lens bundle. Whoever worked in that pawn shop was a moron. Now I just need to figure out how to put a lens cap on the front.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 09-14-2016 at 07:29 AM.
09-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #4542
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,079
Above I said the folding Retinas were about the best fixed-lens 35mm cameras made. I will add that I think the IIa is the best of the Retinas. The later IIIc and IIIC command much higher prices, but I doubt their selenium light meters are still reliable, and that extra feature moved the wind lever to the base plate - clumsy - almost as bad as the base-plate mounted hot shoe on my Rollei 35.
09-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #4543
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,436
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
It's an SMC Pentax-F 17-28 f/3.5-4.5 fisheye. Full-frame fisheye zoom with full aperture control and autofocus. $100 was win-win pricing since he paid $40 for the camera and lens bundle. Whoever worked in that pawn shop was a moron.
Ha! Ha!

That is a very interesting lens indeed and a quite decent price too


Steve
09-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #4544
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Above I said the folding Retinas were about the best fixed-lens 35mm cameras made. I will add that I think the IIa is the best of the Retinas. The later IIIc and IIIC command much higher prices, but I doubt their selenium light meters are still reliable, and that extra feature moved the wind lever to the base plate - clumsy - almost as bad as the base-plate mounted hot shoe on my Rollei 35.
I quite agree with everything you said. The IIa is pretty much perfect. I had a IIIc, and though I liked it, you'll note I said *had*. The bottom wind was pretty clunky, though you could get used to it, and the whole package was a LOT bigger. Leica M-big.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha!

That is a very interesting lens indeed and a quite decent price too

Steve
It is, and it was a "jump or it gets away" moment, but I convinced him of my veracity in purchasing the lens by whipping out the money. I will enjoy playing with it. Unfortunately, it's a rare day for me; I didn't bring any Pentax bodies to work, so all I can do is stare.

I also need to figure out a front cap.
09-15-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #4545
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 266
A friend's father in law passed away recently at a rather advanced age. My friend was cleaning out his house when he found this 1948 (by the serial number) Argus C3 with an original case. Since it wasn't worth much, monetarily, he sent it on to me. Shutter speeds look good, focusing is stiff though. I might make this a project camera and do a rebuild on it. I love the swirly bokeh on these, the ergonomics suck though. Still want an Argus AF, someday, as well.



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645n, af, bronica, camera, chris, ebay, eric, f2.8, fa, film, flickr, lens, mx, nettar, p3, p30t, pentax, photography magazine, post, praktica, retina, shutter, site, store, stuff, swap, test, thrift, tools, winder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Keeper" Lens Club -- You'll regret it if you sell it. vandamro Lens Clubs 103 5 Days Ago 06:14 PM
Is it safe to share my personal collection of K-01 lens p0rn? elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 41 03-01-2013 11:16 AM
If you aren't using it, zip it up! The Jannie Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-16-2011 04:35 PM
You've got to love technology and it's mindlessness mtansley General Talk 6 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
Cityscape Got one I'd like to see what you can do with it photolady95 Photo Critique 9 06-25-2011 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top