Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 03:23 AM - 9 Likes   #4576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
G and T's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Langwarrin Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 352
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My latest acquisition which is currently being serviced by Eric.
Gorgeous, a black K, I love these early bodies a very lucky find.

My film body addiction has had me trawling every charity shop, flea market, fleabay and junk store that I could find, these are my latest additions.
A very rare fully working black ME-F complete with winder and matching AF zoom all in remarkable shape.
A Pentax SL (meterless Spotmatic) which I can understand). I don't understand why you would then go out and buy a meter to put on top of it, this is probably why the SL meter that this camera came with is so rare. This is the only working SL meter that I have ever seen and yes they are different to the earlier clip on meters and are the only meters that fit the SL.
Two siblings, a black K2 and a black KX.
Last but not least a triple treat, two Ks with zebra taks and a AP with a 58mm /2.4 preset Tak.

Attached Images
       
09-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #4577
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Gorgeous, a black K, I love these early bodies a very lucky find.

My film body addiction has had me trawling every charity shop, flea market, fleabay and junk store that I could find, these are my latest additions.
A very rare fully working black ME-F complete with winder and matching AF zoom all in remarkable shape.
A Pentax SL (meterless Spotmatic) which I can understand). I don't understand why you would then go out and buy a meter to put on top of it, this is probably why the SL meter that this camera came with is so rare. This is the only working SL meter that I have ever seen and yes they are different to the earlier clip on meters and are the only meters that fit the SL.
Two siblings, a black K2 and a black KX.
Last but not least a triple treat, two Ks with zebra taks and a AP with a 58mm /2.4 preset Tak.
Wow, that's a fantastic collection of cameras you have there, and most of them in gorgeous black. Very nice indeed.
09-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #4578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
G and T's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Langwarrin Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 352
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Wow, that's a fantastic collection of cameras you have there, and most of them in gorgeous black. Very nice indeed.
Unfortunately or fortunately which-ever way you like to look at it these are only the tip of the iceberg. These are only the latest additions! I believe the current count of film bodies is approaching 60.

Glenn
09-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #4579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex County, Ontario
Posts: 479
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I believe the current count of film bodies is approaching 60
Remember, they're all going to want exercise!

09-25-2016, 02:12 AM   #4580
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Remember, they're all going to want exercise!
They do, and they can actually die from disuse as much as they can from misuse. This, along with lack of money and space, is why i stopped collecting. I still have a lot of cameras, you might even say a collection, but they all get used, and they all do something interesting photographically. When i find myself not using something, I pass it on. Generally, it's because I have something else that does all the same things, or is very close to doing all the same things.

I used to have a really gorgeous Pentax Screwmount collection. 50/1.4, 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 135/3.5, all metal Pentax lens caps, and some really beautiful bodies; An Asahi SV which was just beautiful, a really awesome beat up old black Spotmatic (It had patina in the best way possible) and an ESII that was a great shooter.

But I found that my K-mount gear made it all completely redundant. I didn't need two parallel film camera systems. And the Takumars, wonderful as they were, didn't do anything my K-mount lenses didn't do better. So I decided to sell the whole lot of them. I thought I'd regret it instantly, but I didn't. I saw my cameras go to new loving homes and felt really good about it. Plus I had money to buy something else

I'm not chastising anybody for collecting. That would be hypocritical. But I am saying that we should collect stuff we're going to use. Collecting to look at it sitting on a shelf is greedy, or at least a bit wasteful.

Those lenses and bodies above are beautiful. Enjoy shooting with them!

Last edited by unixrevolution; 09-25-2016 at 02:18 AM.
09-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #4581
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 190
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I used to have a really gorgeous Pentax Screwmount collection. 50/1.4, 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 135/3.5, all metal Pentax lens caps, and some really beautiful bodies; [...] But I found that my K-mount gear made it all completely redundant.
I feel similarly, when I found some good Pentax-A lenses. Really, though, the only thing I don't like about the takumars is my (digital) camera's (lack of) ability to meter properly through them, because of the lack of contacts (or shorting out of the contacts). Green button notwithstanding, I really appreciate the A lens metering. But as you can see from my signature, I can't quite replace the M42s with Pentax-A lenses yet, because I don't have a replacement for the macro 50/4 1:1 preset, the 100/4 macro, the 17/4 fisheye, and the 85/2 Russian tank.
09-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #4582
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I feel similarly, when I found some good Pentax-A lenses. Really, though, the only thing I don't like about the takumars is my (digital) camera's (lack of) ability to meter properly through them, because of the lack of contacts (or shorting out of the contacts). Green button notwithstanding, I really appreciate the A lens metering. But as you can see from my signature, I can't quite replace the M42s with Pentax-A lenses yet, because I don't have a replacement for the macro 50/4 1:1 preset, the 100/4 macro, the 17/4 fisheye, and the 85/2 Russian tank.
Stop-down metering is a pain, but when you get used to it the Taks don't do too badly. My problem was that I already HAD replacements for everything my Takumar set could do. At that point, what reason is there to keep both?

I do have a Minolta 35mm setup with some nice lenses, and I"m not giving that up. It was a gift from a friend, and the sweet thing about that is that since that setup is so much smaller than my Pentax setup, it's grab and go; I don't have to spend an hour deciding what to take, then finding the right size camera bag and repacking the whole thing
09-25-2016, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #4583
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 190
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Stop-down metering is a pain, but when you get used to it the Taks don't do too badly
I don't mind stop down metering at all; the preset lenses are actually the best; for the others I have to use the A/M switch. But even with that, as you know, Av mode metering is inconsistent depending on the aperture of lenses that don't short out the contacts, and even though folks swear by M mode and the green button, I haven't found it to be as consistent as the A lenses. The best metering with manual lenses comes from my handheld meters (hmm, I seem to growing a small collection of them -- Gossen Luna Pro F, Sekonic L-398A, and the Pentax Digital Spot meter). But they are just about as large as the camera body, which makes them cumbersome.

09-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #4584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex County, Ontario
Posts: 479
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
The best metering with manual lenses comes from my handheld meters
Agreed asharpe. These could be a lot more popular, as they were years ago, but so many would have to learn new skills in order to use them properly. Few things in my experience of setting up a shot rival the ability to interpret and apply a carefully made ambient light reading.
09-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #4585
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I don't mind stop down metering at all; the preset lenses are actually the best; for the others I have to use the A/M switch. But even with that, as you know, Av mode metering is inconsistent depending on the aperture of lenses that don't short out the contacts, and even though folks swear by M mode and the green button, I haven't found it to be as consistent as the A lenses. The best metering with manual lenses comes from my handheld meters (hmm, I seem to growing a small collection of them -- Gossen Luna Pro F, Sekonic L-398A, and the Pentax Digital Spot meter). But they are just about as large as the camera body, which makes them cumbersome.
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Agreed asharpe. These could be a lot more popular, as they were years ago, but so many would have to learn new skills in order to use them properly. Few things in my experience of setting up a shot rival the ability to interpret and apply a carefully made ambient light reading.
I have not found the stop-down metering with Takumars to be inconsistent enough to actually matter. Maybe I'm not that careful that I have an exact perfect exposure, but they always did fine for me.

Handheld meters, I have a few myself. An Incident/Flash meter, a couple reflective, and of course the good ol' Pentax spot meter. But I tend to use those with cameras that have no built-in meter of their own, especially medium and large format stuff. I use the Spot with the Zone System in my large format gear. (have yet to develop with contrast control, still getting the hang of just plain making the pictures come out right. But that's for later ) Even without special development, the Zone System is effective.
09-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #4586
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,496
I gave up stop-down metering entirely as it's so unreliable, for any type of lens. I just use trial and error and I've gotten to the stage where I can guess pretty well what settings I need to use, at least as a starting point.
09-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #4587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,335
Sunny 16 works for me!
09-27-2016, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4588
Pentaxian
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 311
I live in western Norway. Is there a rainy 16 rule? :-(
09-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #4589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,798
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I have not found the stop-down metering with Takumars to be inconsistent enough to actually matter.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I gave up stop-down metering entirely as it's so unreliable, for any type of lens.
Stop-down metering is the traditional gold standard* and works quite nicely with SLRs designed to meter in that fashion. It is with modern AF dSLRs that problems occur. The full explanation is lengthy, but the blame lies with viewfinder compromises and metering strategies that depend on the body controlling the aperture.

* By "gold standard", I mean that the meter cell "sees" the same light as the film regardless of iris calibration. Back in the late 1960s to early 1970s, this was viewed as one of the strong points of the Spotmatic and other stop-down meter cameras.


Steve
09-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #4590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,798
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I live in western Norway. Is there a rainy 16 rule? :-(
Here in the Pacific Northwest of North America, it is usually "sunny 11" for other than mid-summer somewhat worse in winter. I figure in Norway, it is much the same only much worse in winter


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645n, af, bronica, camera, chris, ebay, eric, f2.8, fa, film, flickr, lens, mx, nettar, p3, p30t, pentax, photography magazine, post, praktica, retina, shutter, site, store, stuff, swap, test, thrift, tools, winder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "Keeper" Lens Club -- You'll regret it if you sell it. vandamro Lens Clubs 103 10-13-2017 06:14 PM
Is it safe to share my personal collection of K-01 lens p0rn? elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 41 03-01-2013 11:16 AM
If you aren't using it, zip it up! The Jannie Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-16-2011 04:35 PM
You've got to love technology and it's mindlessness mtansley General Talk 6 07-24-2011 05:43 PM
Cityscape Got one I'd like to see what you can do with it photolady95 Photo Critique 9 06-25-2011 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top