Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #4666
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus 35SP

A rather handsome camera, IMO. I restored it fully, including a partial tear-down of the shutter mechanism to fix the 'bulb' function; a thorough cleaning, lube, and adjustment; and test. It was an enjoyable project, although the shutter repair took me much longer than anticipated.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-30-2016 at 02:36 PM.
12-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #4667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
A rather handsome camera, IMO. I restored it fully, including a partial tear-down of the shutter mechanism to fix the 'bulb' function; a thorough cleaning, lube, and adjustment; and test. It was an enjoyable project, although the shutter repair took me much longer than anticipated.

- Craig
Agreed. Olympus made a series of nice looking, clean, incluttered very compact cameras.
12-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #4668
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

- Craig

Ohhhhh...I like!!!!

Steve
01-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #4669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- Craig

Congratulations on your courage in working on these. One really needs to know what one is doing to avoid damaging them. My SP, fortunately, is in excellent condition.

01-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #4670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Agreed. Olympus made a series of nice looking, clean, incluttered very compact cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ohhhhh...I like!!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Just sold a 35ES I did a similar restoration on. Both the 35s and the Half frame Pens are great little cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Congratulations on your courage in working on these. One really needs to know what one is doing to avoid damaging them. My SP, fortunately, is in excellent condition.
Thanks for your comments.

I was pleased with the result of the restoration. I'd say I'm fairly handy with mechanics and electronics, but I was learning as I went along. Fortunately there are good descriptions of similar projects online. Delving into the shutter mechanism was the most challenging -- I was constantly asking myself, "Ok, how far in can I go without doing harm?" Taking plenty of pictures at each step is critical. And, I was able to recover from some *dumb* mistakes (like holding the camera upside down but NOT over my workmat - did you know it's really hard to find a small spring on the workshop floor?)

- Craig
01-05-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #4671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments.

I was pleased with the result of the restoration. I'd say I'm fairly handy with mechanics and electronics, but I was learning as I went along. Fortunately there are good descriptions of similar projects online. Delving into the shutter mechanism was the most challenging -- I was constantly asking myself, "Ok, how far in can I go without doing harm?" Taking plenty of pictures at each step is critical. And, I was able to recover from some *dumb* mistakes (like holding the camera upside down but NOT over my workmat - did you know it's really hard to find a small spring on the workshop floor?) - Craig

Classic example of the Peter Principle: "The smallest and most valuable part will fall and roll to the most inaccessible point on the workshop floor."
01-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #4672
Veteran Member

Great looking Olympus.

Here's one from me. Not all gear is cameras after all

01-06-2017, 09:16 AM - 5 Likes   #4673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Great looking Olympus.

I like my B&W developing kit more

Film developing kit
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
01-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #4674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I like my B&W developing kit more

Film developing kit
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
It's very nice, and I see you prefer Ilford chemistry. I tend to use either D-76, Xtol or Rodinal for all of my development work. I may give Ilford stuff a try, but the economy of the Kodak stuff and the Rodinal's shelf life, combined with good results, mean that I'm pretty happy where I am.

As for the last part of your kit, I'm sorry to say that though I'm not a teetotaler or anti-alcohol, I just don't like beer. I want to, but I can't. That may be slowly changing as Milk stout is something I do enjoy on occasion, but it's just not me.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I see you included the most critical ingredient on the right...

---------- Post added 01-06-17 at 12:53 PM ----------

I have a Plaubel Makina W67 that I also did a similar shutter overhaul on which is basically a giant-sized version of this same project. It's still in pieces since I just moved and had to pack everything up before I had time to fabricate a new plastic viewfinder insert. I'll be sure to post it here when done.
Good luck with that Makina!
01-06-2017, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #4675
Veteran Member

My $30 K2 which Kitamura had shoved in their junk case because it was missing its mirror bumper foam. Apart from that it's perfect - even the ASA ring is buttery - and I got the lens cheaply too because it had a little dust in! Very happy camper. I understand why people like these bodies so much.

01-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #4676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
My $30 K2 which Kitamura had shoved in their junk case because it was missing its mirror bumper foam. Apart from that it's perfect - even the ASA ring is buttery - and I got the lens cheaply too because it had a little dust in! Very happy camper. I understand why people like these bodies so much.
Lovely find of a great camera.
01-06-2017, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #4677
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice find!

My latest acquisition on the right. Was playing with flash and not a huge fan of how this shot turned out.

01-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #4678
Pentaxian

It's very nice, and I see you prefer Ilford chemistry. I tend to use either D-76, Xtol or Rodinal for all of my development work. I may give Ilford stuff a try, but the economy of the Kodak stuff and the Rodinal's shelf life, combined with good results, mean that I'm pretty happy where I am.

As for the last part of your kit, I'm sorry to say that though I'm not a teetotaler or anti-alcohol, I just don't like beer. I want to, but I can't. That may be slowly changing as Milk stout is something I do enjoy on occasion, but it's just not me.
I use Ilford chemistry because (a) it's easy to get hold of here and (b) I have always used Ilford's helpful development instructions from their website, since I first started. I have a small bottle of some other developer which has been waiting to be used for around two years, but I have all the times and temperatures worked out for Ilfosol and it's extra work to try something new. I certainly should though, especially given the backlog of developing I have.

---------- Post added 07-01-17 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Very nice find!

My latest acquisition on the right. Was playing with flash and not a huge fan of how this shot turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Beautiful cameras
01-07-2017, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #4679
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
That's OK.

I'll drink your share.
01-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #4680
Pentaxian

Great looking Olympus.

Looks like you're mixing drinks on the side there. :-)