Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #4921
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
You're braver than I am...I wouldn't, under any circumstances, consider saying anything about my wife's purse collection.
I was reading Trey Ratcliff something (HDR tutorial, I think), and he had this step by step process. Step 1 was something like "Get a camera. Be sneaky about it, don't tell your wife. Or tell her. You never know how it's going to pan out". My wife thought it was funny

05-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #4922
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
You can still shoot without batteries on the LX (unless I incorrectly researched it) as long as you use the mechanical speeds 1/75 - 1/2000s (the other speeds require electronic timing).

But yea, that's one of the reasons when I was looking around that I decided to look for an MX versus say a K2 or ME Super. I didn't like the idea that if the battery died I'd be stuck with something like Bulb and 1/125th. I keep spare Energizer 357s Silver-Oxide batteries in my bag, I know they last nearly forever since it only powers the meter, but there's no warning exactly when they're going to die.

What I would like about the LX (least on paper) is the expanded meter sensitivity (-6.5EV to 20EV versus my MX's 1 - 19EV), the ability to have a waist lever finder, and mirror lockup ability.

I still need to see if I can get a Pentax-M 135/2.8 or similar telephoto prime for my MX so that I cover the telephoto range, right now I have a Pentax-M 28/3.5, Pentax-M 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4, and a Tamron SP Adaptall-II 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Lifesize Macro. I never bothered to look for one because on my digital I adapt my Jupiter-11 Leica Thread Mount 135mm f/4 lens that's sharp as a tack wide open (and is a 270mm equivalent due to the 2.0x crop factor). Once I get my Industar-61LD LTM 55mm f/2.8 and Fujinon TV Z 1:1.7/9-108mm f/1.7 lens sold I'll start looking for whichever Pentax 135mm lens resolves best for film (seems the Pentax-A 135/2.8 is good for digital, but not so great for film).
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The base meter sensitivity is the same on the LX as the MX. What is different is the LX's ability to use the SPD meter as a voltage collector for OTF metering as well as a voltmeter for direct measurement. The LX will deliver an honest -6.5 EV metered exposure in dim light in automatic mode. The trade-off is that you will not know until the film is processed whether the 125s maximum exposure at ISO 100 (32s at ISO 800) was long enough.

Steve
Not sure if this is already said in this long post, so I add it for good measure:

One undocumented feature of the MX (and probably also K1000, but I have no way to check) is that it actually does have mirror lock up. If you tap the shutter release of the MX it will 'fire' the mirror. The trick is to tap it (as it will make exposure with full press.) Best is to try several times with the camera without film.

The LX had no lower limit to the long exposures in auto mode: you can keep it in auto and the shutter wil stay open until the meter encounters the right exposure (for hours if need be.) Really long exposures are all yours with the LX. As a matter of fact, with a little effort long exposures are all yours with the MX too: you put the camera on Bulb, press the shutter and while still pressed push the exposure lock button to the left. As long as the button is locked the exposure is open. Releasing the button will end exposure... Of course you will have to find some way of metering.
05-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #4923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Honestly, we're on pretty good terms about it all. She can see that I don't mind her purse collecting and I think that's at least partially the reason why she doesn't say anything about my camera gathering. Of course, she knows that I sell the culls on eBay, which never hurts.
That is the important thing. As long as you aren't spending rent money on hobbies, or keeping things a secret from each other, there should never be a problem
05-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #4924
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
One undocumented feature of the MX (and probably also K1000, but I have no way to check) is that it actually does have mirror lock up. If you tap the shutter release of the MX it will 'fire' the mirror. The trick is to tap it (as it will make exposure with full press.) Best is to try several times with the camera without film.
The K1000 likely can do it as well, since that "feature" is something that started with the original Spotmatic. (I never could do it with any consistency, however. )

05-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #4925
Veteran Member

I have done it with a variety of Pentaxes, so I'm sure a K1000 can do it as well. I haven't tried it with my MX yet.
05-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #4926
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Yes, you know your Rolleis
I've spent just a bit too much time drooling over Rolleiflex
06-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #4927
Veteran Member

The Undocumented feature of mirror-lock up on the MX is present on other Pentax bodies, but it's not consistent between them, or even within the same camera, enough to be counted as a feature, undocumented or not. My MX can do it, but it varies.

THe MLU in the LX is the real deal. Completely controllable and predictable.

06-01-2017, 08:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4928
Veteran Member

Rollei HFT Planar 50/1.8!

Originally in QBM but moded to dumb K-mount. No clearance issues with ME Super.
06-01-2017, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #4929
Pentaxian

Apparently I've inadvertently started to develop a bit of a 50mm collection. Two of the cooler examples here...

06-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #4930
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Apparently I've inadvertently started to develop a bit of a 50mm collection. Two of the cooler examples here...
That 50 f1.2 looks so cool on the LX, I should get me one of those too..
06-06-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #4931
Veteran Member

06-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #4932
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cool

Steve
06-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #4933
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
For those without the bravery to do something similar, the same lens is available as the Voigtlander Color Ultron 50mm f/1.8 in m42 mount. Runs about $100-$150
You must tempt me...

Steve
06-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #4934
Veteran Member

Interesting mod. For those without the bravery to do something similar, the same lens is available as the Voigtlander Color Ultron 50mm f/1.8 in m42 mount. Runs about $100-$150
I didn't do the mod - the shop who sold the lens had a modding service, and it wasn't expensive at all if purchased in a bundle. They also can mod the lens to EF, F, A, and M42 mounts while preserving infinity focus (and accuracy of hyperfocal scale).

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

---------- Post added 06-07-17 at 09:08 PM ----------

Interesting mod. For those without the bravery to do something similar, the same lens is available as the Voigtlander Color Ultron 50mm f/1.8 in m42 mount. Runs about $100-$150
I once wanted this Voigtlander, but didn't have any luck hunting it down on eBay. Never knew this is the same as the Rollei.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
06-09-2017, 06:57 AM - 5 Likes   #4935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic F - an odd gem

Hi

I just picked up my black Spotmatic F from Pål, the Norwegian genius on Pentax repairs. The camera has been given a new top, a new prism and seals and mirror bumper. And even the light meter has be replaced. It is cool that Pål has access to a large stock of OEM parts.

The F came to market in 1973, after the very successful Spotmatic and Spotmatic II. It was sold either with a S-M-C Takumar 55mm f1.8 or the more expensive S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4.

The Spotmatic F is somewhat odd. It looks like, and it is, a revamped Spotmatic, it supports, or I would say, almost requires the newer S-M-C Takumar lenses for the light meter to do its work. And you can use the older Takumars by using the switch for close down metering. When the proper lens is connected, the light meter actually stays on, until you take the lens off the camera. That doesn't sound to smart. And another odd feature or upgrade from the Spotimatic, is the shutter lock, when open, it more or lesser covers the little window that show if the film is advanced or not.

But it really looks nice!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 06-09-2017 at 07:12 AM.