Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #5266
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I had no idea that there were MF format folders with Takumar lenses on them
Those are a full half of the folders that did.1 The folders with Takumars are also the only cameras with Asahi-made lenses that actually label them as such.2

1. I'm counting the Press Van-120 as the same camera as the Press Van, since from my understanding there's only really one major difference between the two models: the ability to take 35mm film. The MineSix III and MineSix Super 66 were different enough from both the above MineSix II and each other that I'd count them all as different cameras.
2. Asahi made a decent number of lenses for other manufacturers from the '30s through to at least the '40s, including for a number of Minolta cameras, but they're all unlabelled as to manufacturer. Attribution is either through records stating that they made these lenses for this camera, or assuming that based on those records it's likely that they also made these other lenses of the same name for this other camera.

Last edited by g026r; 02-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.
02-22-2018, 01:53 PM - 4 Likes   #5267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Those are a full half of the folders that did.1 Also the only two cameras with Asahi-made lenses that actually label them as being made by Asahi.2

1. I'm counting the Press Van-120 as the same camera as the Press Van, since from my understanding there's only really one major difference between the two models: the ability to take 35mm film. The MineSix III and MineSix Super 66 were different enough from both the MineSix II and each other that I'd count them all as different cameras.
2. Asahi made a decent number of lenses for other manufacturers from the '30s through to at least the '40s, including for a number of Minolta cameras, but they're all unlabelled as to manufacturer. Attribution is either through records stating that they made these lenses for this camera, or assuming that based on those records it's likely that they also made these other lenses of the same name for this other camera.

Many thanks for the info - I may have to take note and add these models to searches so that I can keep an eye out, just in case one crosses my path

Here's one that did cross my path earlier this week, and arrived today

IMAGE5740a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

IMAGE5744a

IMAGE5742a

IMAGE5746a
02-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #5268
Pentaxian

Many thanks for the info - I may have to take note and add these models to searches so that I can keep an eye out, just in case one crosses my path

Here's one that did cross my path earlier this week, and arrived today

IMAGE5740a

IMAGE5744a

IMAGE5742a

IMAGE5746a
I never regret buying mine and it is one of the lenses I have with me on my travels. I sometimes use liveview to get the levels on the screen and handhold shots, but it is a bit of a palaver. Much better on a tripod, of course. One temptation of the K-1 is being able to use this lens more often.
02-23-2018, 12:46 AM   #5269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I never regret buying mine and it is one of the lenses I have with me on my travels. I sometimes use liveview to get the levels on the screen and handhold shots, but it is a bit of a palaver. Much better on a tripod, of course. One temptation of the K-1 is being able to use this lens more often.
My plan is to use it for a while just to see what it can do and then sell it on, but seeing it on the MX looking brand new certainly makes me want to keep it. I think I'll need to make a trip up to the four big skyscrapers in the north of Madrid to see what it can do, but I suspect it won't be wide enough (I've previously photographed them up close with my K2DMD and Cosina 19-35mm).

The shift function of the lens would make it ideal for travel with a FF or 35mm film camera, except that it's big and heavy and my wife would never have the patience for the time it would take to set up the tripod, focus, shift the lens and take the picture. This lens would very much be one to use when I'm on my own, which is rare when travelling.

It's likely I'll use it for a while and then sell it or trade it for something nice that I would use more.

I wonder if it's possible to use the serial number to identify the year of production? I checked the years of production and it was made for almost 30 years (1975 to 2004), presumably because it's the only shift lens Pentax have ever made.

02-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #5270
Pentaxian

... because it's the only shift lens Pentax have ever made.
Except the 75mm Shift for the 6x7. But in 35mm terms you're obviously correct.

I used the 28mm Shift lens a lot during my semi-professional years (late 1980s and early 1990s), and much of it hand-held. You can get the routine, especially with a grid focusing screen which I had in my MX and LX bodies (I think you saw my B&W shots from Vienna in 1993 I posted recently, some of which at least were taken hand-held if I'm not mistaken).
02-25-2018, 12:33 AM   #5271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Except the 75mm Shift for the 6x7. But in 35mm terms you're obviously correct.

I used the 28mm Shift lens a lot during my semi-professional years (late 1980s and early 1990s), and much of it hand-held. You can get the routine, especially with a grid focusing screen which I had in my MX and LX bodies (I think you saw my B&W shots from Vienna in 1993 I posted recently, some of which at least were taken hand-held if I'm not mistaken).
Yes you're right, I didn't take the medium format lenses into account. I did see your Vienna shots here before I bought this lens and they come up in a search of Flickr for images shot with this lens. They are among the remarkably few shots to show on Flickr in such a search (considering this lens was in production for 29 years).
02-25-2018, 02:09 AM - 3 Likes   #5272
Pentaxian

Big glass, little body...

02-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #5273
Pentaxian

Well done on the black - Love my silver>
02-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #5274
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Big glass, little body...
Compare that to a Canon FD 55/1.2, and the big glass doesn't seem so big anymore
02-25-2018, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #5275
Pentaxian

Yes you're right, I didn't take the medium format lenses into account. I did see your Vienna shots here before I bought this lens and they come up in a search of Flickr for images shot with this lens. They are among the remarkably few shots to show on Flickr in such a search (considering this lens was in production for 29 years).
Exactly. I have many photos taken with the 28mm Shift, most of them slides, but I digitized only a few so far. Yours looks much nicer than mine (purchased new in 1986):

02-25-2018, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #5276
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Compare that to a Canon FD 55/1.2, and the big glass doesn't seem so big anymore
The Minolta 58mm is also bigger but then so is the XK!

02-25-2018, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5277
Veteran Member

Went out to coffee with my friend and fellow member GerryM. He brought his recently acquired 1955 Zorki 3M and Jupiter-8 50/2, so we took this photo of the 3M next to my 1957 Zorki 4.

02-25-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Went out to coffee with my friend and fellow member GerryM. He brought his recently acquired 1955 Zorki 3M and Jupiter-8 50/2, so we took this photo of the 3M next to my 1957 Zorki 4.
Definitely some Russian collusion going on there . . .
02-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #5279
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm easily confused, just ask my sisters in law

can anyone tell me the difference between this thread and the Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

are they just co existing or what?

what should be posted here ?
02-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #5280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I'm easily confused, just ask my sisters in law

can anyone tell me the difference between this thread and the Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

are they just co existing or what?

what should be posted here ?
You noticed we are just a bit of a showoff that we need multiple outlets . . .