Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #5341
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
So it IS unusual then?!
Yes, I have one just like it. I noticed that mine was unusual soon after purchase and brought to the attention of other forum members during a recent "call" for lens photos for the lens review database. The ring is essentially the same as that from the late Auto-Takumar 50/1.8. In the course of getting photos, another variant surfaced, that being one with fine knurling and the standard direction. Here is the group shot featuring 7 of 8 known 50/1.8 variants:

I don't remember if my early lens like yours is thorium doped and radioactive. The newer one on my SPII definitely is and required clearing using an LED lamp from IKEA.

As for the T shutter setting...yes, it is cool. Both of my Exaktas also support T, but in the more conventional mode of a second press releasing the trailing curtain. I don't know if it is kosher or not, but one can also close the shutter on the SV when on T by using the film advance. When done that way, the mirror stays up through the next shutter cycle.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2018 at 12:35 AM.
04-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #5342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

I don't remember if my early lens like yours is thorium doped and radioactive. The newer one on my SPII definitely is and required clearing using an LED lamp from IKEA.
Doesn't appear to be in my case. Very little coloring viewing through glass white paper. :thumbsup: I've two sets of cheap LED grow lights I use for orchids. Discovered how well they work on an imprenated early 67 105/2.4 a couple years ago. The window sill never did the trick in these PNW climes. But the full-spec grown light did at point blank range. Never could pull that off with the incandescent, mostly cuz it got too damn hot.
04-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #5343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Take care to learn which version you own. The earliest version (denoted by a green R on the Rewind crank) has a mirror that will strike the rear element of certain M42 lenses with a protruding rear element. The 8-element ST50/1.4 is the most common lens with this problem (IIRC the only such Pentax lens). The ‘safe’ version has an orange ‘R’ on the rewind crank.

AFA LBA, allow yourself the classic three-lens kit (28 or 35 / 55 / 85* or 105) and no more. Modest, but diverse enough to be useful in a broad range of situations.

* The Auto-Tak 85/1.8 is the way to go. It functions more like a Super-Tak than an Auto-Tak on the SV, but check that ‘R’ color.
Well that didn't take me long. SuperTaks 105/2.8 & 35/3.5 are enroute, and I threw in an ST 50/1.4 "UGLY" just so I could get free shipping.
Going full pre-SMC for these as I've not had a single old coating lens in my arsenal to-date.

The 105/1.8 is quite tempting but truth be told I've never got on with 85's (and of my Amigos, the 77 is by *far* the least used)... I usually prefer to go up another tick to 105 or 135. May add one some day.

Sigh. I need to stop. Immediately. Again. (Have a Konica C35 FD on the way as well lol)
04-16-2018, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #5344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well that didn't take me long. SuperTaks 105/2.8 & 35/3.5 are enroute, and I threw in an ST 50/1.4 "UGLY" just so I could get free shipping.
Going full pre-SMC for these as I've not had a single old coating lens in my arsenal to-date.

The 105/1.8 is quite tempting but truth be told I've never got on with 85's (and of my Amigos, the 77 is by *far* the least used)... I usually prefer to go up another tick to 105 or 135. May add one some day.

Sigh. I need to stop. Immediately. Again. (Have a Konica C35 FD on the way as well lol)
That’s a good simple classic film kit with an SV. Those three are really very nice optics wth the Super Tak coatings. They have a special character, and of course all that metal lens / focusing ring goodness. Hoods help with the veiling / contrast (the cheap eBay HeavyMetal hoods are fine).

IMHO the 35/3.5 is special, the 105/2.8 is a very nice portrait lens and you can’t go wrong with a 50/1.4. I don’t think I have a ST50/1.4. Mount the 50, put the other two in your pockets and take a walk

As far as stopping, I just bought a working 645 with 4 lenses for an absolute song (alas, not the A 645 35/3.5) and a 645 > K-mount converter. That’s been on my ‘some day’ list for years.

I think it is really time for some rational selling. I can’t even use all this tuff.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-16-2018 at 08:57 PM.
04-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #5345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That’s a good simple classic film kit with an SV. Those three are really very nice optics wth the Super Tak coatings. They have a special character, and of course all that metal lens / focusing ring goodness. Hoods help with the veiling / contrast (the cheap eBay HeavyMetal hoods are fine).

IMHO the 35/3.5 is special, the 105/2.8 is a very nice portrait lens and you can’t go wrong with a 50/1.4. I don’t think I have a ST50/1.4. Mount the 50, put the other two in your pockets and take a walk

As far as stopping, I just bought a working 645 with 4 lenses for an absolute song (alas, not the A 645 35/3.5) and a 645 > K-mount converter. That’s been on my ‘some day’ list for years.

I think it is really time for some rational selling. I can’t even use all this tuff.
Yeah I've seen snippets of your collection - you're far and away beyond me. I do pretty well at downsizing periodically - did a ton of that this time last year, but all those gains (losses) have been handily erased. I don't own any 645 glass any longer, for largely that reason. I just adapt my 67 glass which I liked better in most cases, and except for the really large ones (>200mm) it really feels great to me on the 645, better even. I've used the 67 more than a few times on the 135 cams as well... Now THAT looks funny as hell, but the results are usually awesome. You get just the 'cream' of the lens' light, the juicy center.
04-17-2018, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #5346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I already want a second SV, or another from the line like an S1a or some such. It didn't take long for this to become a favorite, and I've noticed that with my favorites, I always seem to want a second which I'm sure many of you can relate to. Nice to have another around to load a second film type into for different situations of course.... But more than that when one is already loaded, its nice to have a second around that I can just play with while I sit at the couch.
04-19-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #5347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
and I've noticed that with my favorites, I always seem to want a second which I'm sure many of you can relate to
Not recommended to do this with spouses.....
04-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #5348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Agreed.

04-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #5349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
After reading this I peaked at the last sentence in the post above:

QuoteQuote:
[...]its nice to have a second around that I can just play with while I sit at the couch.
04-20-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #5350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
After reading this I peaked at the last sentence in the post above:

Don't act like you don't do it too.
04-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #5351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't act like you don't do it too.
(review thread title . . . )
04-20-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #5352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amidst the SV.... I seem to have developed a "Konica Problem".

04-20-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #5353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amidst the SV.... I seem to have developed a "Konica Problem".

Konica made some nice little rangefinders. I think their proportions & shape are what a 35mm rangefinder body should be. I always thought that the Leica/Minolta CL, of similar size & shape, was a better overall design than the M3, especially with the latter's traditional removable base plate for changing film which I thought was just a stubborn refusal to admit the design was outdated.
04-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #5354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Konica made some nice little rangefinders. I think their proportions & shape are what a 35mm rangefinder body should be. I always thought that the Leica/Minolta CL, of similar size & shape, was a better overall design than the M3, especially with the latter's traditional removable base plate for changing film which I thought was just a stubborn refusal to admit the design was outdated.
Stubborn for the M3? The M3 still used a removable take-up spool that had to be removed to thread and load the film, and also accepted their special light-trap film cassettes that opened the light-trap when the baseplate key was turned to "Lock", so they did have some justification then.
But even the M10 I bought last year requires removal of the baseplate to change the SD card (or battery). That qualifies as stubborn!
However, I agree about the CL - I used one for years as a travel camera for bike & hike trips, with it's wonderful 40 mm Summicron lens.

The CL body was made by Minolta, so Leitz didn't make enough money on sales when it became more popular than their expensive models. End of the CL.
04-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #5355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Of those three Konicas, the C35 EF in the left-rear was my late grandfather's, bought new. I used it last summer a few times and was astonded. Its a surprisingly wonderful little zone-focus shooter... but more than that it's all about those that Hexanon. 😊 That's what started me down the path. Fantastic lens. Just superb.
The Auto S2 in the right-rear is nearly twice the size/weight of the others but a joy to use... it's actually larger ( the perspective skews things in this photo) than the Pentax SV in the fore. Not sure if I'll hang onto it but I'm leaning toward just simply for how cheap it was and the awesome condition it seems to be inside and out.

And then of course, the C35 FD (Auto S3 equivalent) - it rocks. That one will see a CLA eventually, but for now it works well enough to just enjoy for a while. The focussing is just a bit stiff and clunky and the viewfinder needs to be cleaned. I've no doubt the meter is still originally wired for the old mercury batteries which will affect the meter evidently, but I'll just sunny 16 it for now when I'm shooting and compare. Thing is so damn small and nice feeling at the same time.

---------- Post added 04-20-18 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
But even the M10 I bought last year requires removal of the baseplate to change the SD card (or battery). That qualifies as stubborn!
That's called "How long can we keep making the nostalgia play? answer: indefinitely; we're Leica."