Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #5356

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The Auto S2 in the right-rear is nearly twice the size/weight of the others but a joy to use... it's actually larger ( the perspective skews things in this photo) than the Pentax SV in the fore. Not sure if I'll hang onto it but I'm leaning toward just simply for how cheap it was and the awesome condition it seems to be inside and out.
In the late 60's, the Auto S2 was the first camera I ever had. I've looked into getting another one from eBay from time to time for nostalgia's sake, now that it's been nearly 50 years. But I'd like it to be in excellent condition, and with ebay, you just don't know what you are going to get. The batteries for the meter are a pain now, too.

04-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #5357
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
In the late 60's, the Auto S2 was the first camera I ever had. I've looked into getting another one from eBay from time to time for nostalgia's sake, now that it's been nearly 50 years. But I'd like it to be in excellent condition, and with ebay, you just don't know what you are going to get. The batteries for the meter are a pain now, too.
So I've discovered about the battery but we'll see how it goes. I've a few 675 batteries enroute, that should be easier to shim in there and with a more proper voltage. But for the time being I've shoe-horned an SR44 in there with aluminum foil and adjusted my ISO a bit to compensate for the volts. We'll see.

I honestly must have lucked out. It was the first one I picked up in addition to the C35EF. $20 plus 7 shipping. It was a bit baffling how good of shape it was in. Hood intact and snappy. Lens had no wobble. The case is still in great shape, no tears or broken snaps etc - leathers great. Even had the iconic late 60s early 70s woven strap that's also in amazing shape. Barely a scratch on it, on and on. I dunno how I did it. But honestly they go for cheap in comparison to all the others, likely due to their size/weight. You may do better than you think.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 12:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
with ebay, you just don't know what you are going to get.
This one looks fairly untainted. Worst case scenario, you resell it. I mean the S2s generally go for the price of Russian rangefinders.
But again, it's mystery as to why - I've really enjoyed mine more than expected. Grabbed it on a whim. (and that's what started the "problem")

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KONICA-AUTO-S2-35MM-RANGE-FINDER-CAMERA-W-HEXANON-4...cAAOSwscda0458

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.
04-21-2018, 01:48 AM - 3 Likes   #5358
Pentaxian

M2 and VM 50/f1.5

Shot with a MX, K50/f1.2 and Tmax100

04-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #5359

I honestly must have lucked out. It was the first one I picked up in addition to the C35EF. $20 plus 7 shipping. It was a bit baffling how good of shape it was in. Hood intact and snappy. Lens had no wobble. The case is still in great shape, no tears or broken snaps etc - leathers great.
It looks beautiful, in the photograph. Nearly all of them on eBay are for parts.

04-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #5360
Veteran Member

The Konica Madness carries on with this little chunk of milestone camera history...
When it arrived yesterday it looked like it was about done with it's history - literally filthy, sticky and smelled of old soda or candy or something sweet and odd.
It's feeling much better by the end of tonight and everything sounds bang on. Seals are actually pretty nice yet and I think I'll even pop a roll in it tomorrow.

Konica C35 AF -- This little bugger was $8 and worth every penny if it makes images anything like the C35 EF.
As they say "It's worth it just for the lens."

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-23-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: broken link
04-25-2018, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #5361
Pentaxian

Here's a quick pic of my new-to-me Sigma EX APO 70-200mm f/2.8 on the K-3. I did a little more testing with it yesterday morning, in better light than my first series with it, and confirmed that it really is pretty sharp wide open. It's better at 100mm than at the extremes and suffers from some mild purple/blue fringing wide open which is pretty much gone by f/4, where it's noticeably sharper too. I'm definitely impressed by the optics given that it's Sigma's original fast 70-200mm, designed for film. It's a big, heavy beast though, and quite the contrast for me as I usually shoot primes.

Now the big question - where the hell do I put it so that the Mrs doesn't freak out when she gets back tonight from the work trip she's been on for the last few days?

2018_0425_19215500
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
04-26-2018, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #5362
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Now the big question - where the hell do I put it so that the Mrs doesn't freak out when she gets back tonight from the work trip she's been on for the last few days?

2018_0425_19215500
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Hide it at your buddy’s place.

04-26-2018, 06:31 AM - 3 Likes   #5363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hide under the Playboy magazines.
04-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #5364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just send it to me... I’ll hide it for you 🙂

Just don’t send the Playboys 😛

-Eric
04-26-2018, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #5365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hide it at your buddy’s place.
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hide under the Playboy magazines.
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Just send it to me... I’ll hide it for you 🙂

Just don’t send the Playboys 😛

-Eric
Ha ha ha

For now it's at the back of the lens shelf, mostly hidden by smaller lenses, but at some point I'll want to use it while she's around and there'll be no more hiding...
04-27-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #5366
Veteran Member

Ha ha ha

For now it's at the back of the lens shelf, mostly hidden by smaller lenses, but at some point I'll want to use it while she's around and there'll be no more hiding...
I used my DA*300 for close to a month almost daily before my lady realized it wasn't the DA*50-135.
04-27-2018, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #5367
Veteran Member

Fortunately my wife is pretty clueless when it comes to photo gear. I could park a Sigma Bigma right in front of her and she wouldn't know any different. She'd probably tell me to move it someplace else, cuz it's in the way.
04-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #5368
Pentaxian

I used my DA*300 for close to a month almost daily before my lady realized it wasn't the DA*50-135.
Unfortunately after the new Sigma my next biggest lens is the 55-300 and it's about half the size plus I never use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Fortunately my wife is pretty clueless when it comes to photo gear. I could park a Sigma Bigma right in front of her and she wouldn't know any different. She'd probably tell me to move it someplace else, cuz it's in the way.
As is mine, the only thing she isn't clueless to is that there is always more of it. She has no idea about lenses (hence why she doesn't understand why I "need" so many) but she's not blind and the Sigma would stick out like a sore thumb. We shall see.

I will re-double my efforts to sell off some other gear (without getting ripped off) in order to appease, just in case.
04-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #5369
Veteran Member

You need to do as I have done and get yourself one really big zoom or telephoto and just have it hanging around, then trade it off for the new one as needed. I have a Tamron SP 200-500 f/5.6 and a Tokina ATX 150-500 f/5.6 -- both of those behemoths are enough to muddy the waters good enough to swap for a big Sigma, I'm thinking. Especially that monster Tamron. Only problem with those two is neither is particularly cheap. At all.
04-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #5370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We shall see.
I think you'll enjoy the lens. I have a slightly later version which serves me well.

As for your future, if we don't hear from you for a long time, we'll assume she didn't miss when swinging the lens.