Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #5506
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
How do they use mirorrless cameras with big lenses?
Monopod + tripod foot on lens...alternatively, get a mirrorless with an EVF.

Steve

(...never got the camera held at arm's length aspect of finderless mirrorless shooting...)

06-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #5507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...never got the camera held at arm's length aspect of finderless mirrorless shooting...)
Nor have I for the most part - I like it fine with the GR series cameras, but that's an entirely different one-handed, portable sort of thing.
06-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #5508
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't get the arm's length bit either, unless one reverses the camera to take selfies. But even then . . . I'm not a big fan of selfies anyway.

I don't care all that much for the EVF on my camera, a NEX 7. It works well enough, but it's small and squinty and doesn't hold up well when I'm out in the bright sun. Fortunately the NEX has a tilt screen so I can often position it so that it is at a comfortable angle for the shots I'm taking.
06-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #5509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

who invited the big guy?

Couldn't resist a dirt-cheap black T3n in "questionable" condition. That condition wound up being "perfect working condition" as far as I'm concerned. The self-timer has a tiny bit of hesitation late in its travel and that's about it. Took the top-cap off to get to the viewfinder but didn't even bother with the prism or focus screen as it was in fine shape and surprisingly clear. The inner side of the eyepiece glass however has a spot of fungus I got rid of, but it had unfortunately etched a bit of that spot. :-/ Still, the haze is gone and when the camera is to you eye its all but unnoticeable. I'll take it. It also came with a decent condition Hexanon 50/1.7 (as standard with these) and an impeccable Vivitar 135/2.8 which is a joy to use and quite unexpected. It's a crime that deal like these can be found for these gems. This camera is a better performer in every way compared to the Nikkormat I recently pieced together through reputable sources... yet it's rarely discussed for the most part, and it cost literally 1/6 the price of the Nikon. Build quality is every bit as robust and I'd choose this thing each and every time if I'm honest.

06-15-2018, 11:05 PM - 4 Likes   #5510
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sankyō Kōki, Komura 135mm f/2.8-f/22

I am such a sucker for immaculate glass and smooth operating pre-set apertures in vintage lenses. This Komura was on consignment down at Blue Moon and although the lens barrel had a good build-up of tobacco patina and the focus ring was painfully stiff, I came back the next day and bought it figuring that I could relube the helicoid(s) and sell for at least what I paid should it not be that great to shoot with. I have not shot with it or the VXIIa yet, but even without example photos, I still find the lens intriguing:
  • The letters "inf" instead of "∞" on the focus scale
  • The rear element is well forward of where one would expect, say about midpoint from the end when focused at infinity. Non-telephoto design?
  • Complex, two-piece focus helicoid similar to that used for focus coupling on rangefinder cameras, but with no obvious function on an SLR lens
  • Both the lens and mount are very finely crafted and are as well-made as any others I have handled of similar early 1960's vintage
  • It has 5 elements in 4 groups and example photos from similar lenses in other mounts indicate decent sharpness and contrast
  • I think I count 16 aperture blades

Steve
06-17-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5511

The latest acquisition, an Asahi Pentax K2 body (the lens is already mine). The battery compartment needed a good clean, no corrosion but dirty, otherwise in decent working order.

06-18-2018, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #5512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey,

I am not sure what this is, gearp0rn og just strange? Minolta was early with digital camera in 1995. Some sources say this is the first hand portable digital camera. The Minolta RD-175 was boosting a 1,75M pixle resolution by stacking the image from three sensors, storing data on a PCMCIA drive and using not less than 3 different batteries. The digitalization was made on top of a Dynax 500si Super.

The camera was owned by a pro photographer here in Norway, guess not many bought these, as it started out at some 10 000$ for just the camera (Did anyone say that a K-1 is expensive?). I don't know if it works, since I don't have the proper batteries available. Is it collectible? who knows.

Cheers, Baard-Einar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-18-2018, 03:51 PM - 7 Likes   #5513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With all my Konica , Asahi-meterless, and other camera-glamera shots of late, I looked at my MX and felt a little bad. There is still not a camera that can supplant this one, *this* one, from the most prestigous title I can bestow one: "The-camera-I-would-keep-if-there-could-be-only-one". This MX will always be "my camera".

06-18-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #5514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

With all my Konica , Asahi-meterless, and other camera-glamera shots of late, I looked at my MX and felt a little bad. There is still not a camera that can supplant this one, *this* one, from the most prestigous title I can bestow one: "The-camera-I-would-keep-if-there-could-be-only-one". This MX will always be "my camera".
I could never choose between my KX, MX and LX, so I gave them equal standing.

PC
06-18-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #5515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I could never choose between my KX, MX and LX, so I gave them equal standing.
Understandable.
I never quite bonded with my KX but I well understand its fandom.
I adore my LX (arguably moreso) but don't trust it for the long haul, and I'm too precious with it.
But the MX... I can and do and would take it anywhere. I trust it implicitly. And it's beat up already.
It's mine.
06-19-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #5516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Understandable.
I never quite bonded with my KX but I well understand its fandom.
I adore my LX (arguably moreso) but don't trust it for the long haul, and I'm too precious with it.
But the MX... I can and do and would take it anywhere. I trust it implicitly. And it's beat up already.
It's mine.
I think you ‘get’ film culture.

.:
06-19-2018, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #5517
Pentaxian

Got myself some new (old) glass for my Canon 7. Apparently, Canon only made this lens for less than a year, and it was only ever sold in Japan as part of a kit with the Canon P, so it is one of the rarer Canon LTM lenses. I had never even heard of it until I ran across this one.

06-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #5518
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Got myself some new (old) glass for my Canon 7. Apparently, Canon only made this lens for less than a year, and it was only ever sold in Japan as part of a kit with the Canon P, so it is one of the rarer Canon LTM lenses. I had never even heard of it until I ran across this one.
Cool! I shoot Soviet glass on my Canon P and would love to have a Canon 50mm, but the happy combination of price and condition (most have scratched front elements at a $200+ price point) has eluded me.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-20-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: grammar
06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #5519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! I shoot Soviet glass on my Canon P and would love to have a Canon 50mm, but the happy combination of price and condition (most of scratched front elements at a $200+ price point) has eluded me.

Steve
I have been using my Industar-61 L/D and Jupiter-8 on my Canon 7, and was thinking I would just stick with them, but both have very noticeable distortion. The Jupiter-8 has pretty severe (IMO) pincushion distortion, and the Industar-61 has noticeable barrel distortion. Both are really good lenses, but for a lot of the stuff I shoot, the distortion bugs me. It's one of those things that once you notice it, you can't stop seeing it.
I was looking for a late model Canon 50/1.8, thinking it would probably be a bit better corrected for distortion, which is when I stumbled upon this 50/2.2. I don't know if this lens will be any kind of an improvement on the Soviet lenses, but it was too interesting to pass up, and the price was fairly low for such an uncommon lens.
We'll see how it;performs...
06-20-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #5520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So back in March of 2014 I'd been shooting Pentax for around a decade, a little less. My film shooting was picking up and I bought two MX bodies in the course of a month to compliment the K1000 I'd been shooting for years. I love those cameras. I still have those cameras. I posted this first shot (though I didn't include lenses, which were a fair number, many DAs that have since departed) around that time, "See the Family Grow..." and then of course.... something happened. Now in the second photo, in June of 2018, instead of a small family snapshot at home, it looks more like a semi-annual extended family reunion portrait, trying to get all the cousins to squeeze into frame and wondering where grandpa went. "Take it without me!"

I'm almost embarrased. It doesn't *seem* like this much when it's all tucked away on various shelves and organized in pouches and bags. I didn't include everything, some missing bits and bobs because it just became too much, but this is most of it. This is the first time I've ever tried to drag it all out at once. Yikes.

Last edited by chickentender; 06-20-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: link fix