Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #5521
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, Kevin. My Pentax collection is about half the size of yours. Impressive.

If I might ask, though -- I note the grip you have on your 67 -- can you tell me (us) anymore about it? I'm not really a big fan of that spade handle extension Pentax made for the 67 and a grip like yours seems much more serviceable.

06-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #5522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote

If I might ask, though -- I note the grip you have on your 67 -- can you tell me (us) anymore about it? I'm not really a big fan of that spade handle extension Pentax made for the 67 and a grip like yours seems much more serviceable.
I don't know about his, but there is a seller in Thailand that makes and right hand grips for the Pentax 67. Others have built their own, but I have zero fabrication skills, tools, or desire to learn.

They are $140 shipped, available in several different woods. Mine is on its way, so I can't say if I like it yet.

His email is: myoatmail@gmail.com
06-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #5523
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm not entirely certain how this happened. Some were given to me. Many came from random cheap lot buys that I fixed up. And others (like S series and Takumar most recently) happened suddenly with a quick obsession.

I detest the wooden 67 grip. It's very heavy and makes the camera completely unpackable and awkward in my opinion. I sold mine long ago.
The right-hand grip on mine was custom-made by Mark Kasper - you can find him in the Pentax 67 group on Facebook.
He makes them in batches periodically and not as often as he once did, but they're extremely well made and comfy.
It transforms the 67 and 6x7 into something that actually handles *well* - it's night and day.

There's another well-known custom right-hand grip maker for these but I cannot recall his name or contact details. If I do I'll add it here.

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I don't know about his, but there is a seller in Thailand that makes and right hand grips for the Pentax 67. Others have built their own, but I have zero fabrication skills, tools, or desire to learn.

They are $140 shipped, available in several different woods. Mine is on its way, so I can't say if I like it yet.

Yes! (that was synchronistic ) that's the fella I was trying to remember. Many folks love his grips. Mark's are a bit simpler and a bit cheaper, but both are very good.

edit: it wasnt synchronicity at all - I just didn't scroll down enough to see your reply before I responded to Cooltouch

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-20-2018 at 04:42 PM.
06-20-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #5524
Veteran Member

Quite a few people have asked me about Mark's grip - figured some close-ups were overdue...
In the past he's made several wood varieties, 2 or 3 different types and can send them unfinished if someone wants to finish themselves.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
06-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #5525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Quite a few people have asked me about Mark's grip - figured some close-ups were overdue...
In the past he's made several wood varieties, 2 or 3 different types and can send them unfinished if someone wants to finish themselves.
Nice to see some close ups! I assume it uses the strap pegs to attach, how does it lock in place? It looks like the hex bolt in the front has something to do with it. My biggest concern with the one I’m getting is how solid it locks, and if it has any wiggle. I won’t know until mine arrives, but with my K-3ii I sometimes carry the camer with the grip. The 67 might be too heavy for that, but if the grip has too much flex I wouldn’t feel too comfortable trying.
06-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #5526
Veteran Member

Nice to see some close ups! I assume it uses the strap pegs to attach, how does it lock in place? It looks like the hex bolt in the front has something to do with it. My biggest concern with the one I’m getting is how solid it locks, and if it has any wiggle. I won’t know until mine arrives, but with my K-3ii I sometimes carry the camer with the grip. The 67 might be too heavy for that, but if the grip has too much flex I wouldn’t feel too comfortable trying.
Yes - it uses the pegs. The wood is mounted to a metal frame throughout. I'd show you but unfortunately I can't get mine off with any ease which was my own fault. I overtightened trying to get rid of some wobble and stripped the hex. At least I got rid of the wobble (nearly - it's so little now it doesn't bother me). May have been a metric instead of standard I was using - can't recall it was about 4 years ago not long after I got the 67. It's not going anywhere - hasnt budged.

If you look closely you can see its a collared thread - the there's basically a large (for a camera) set-screw type hex inside that threads down to lock the frame (which slips onto the pegs) in place. It can't move with the set-screw in place. (and now you understand how much difficulty I'd have getting it off. I don't care though. I've no reason to remove it and won't.)
06-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #5527
Veteran Member

My woodworking skills are good, so a grip for my 67 and my LX are a couple of items I've had on my to-do list for a while now. One thing that has stopped me is figuring out how to secure the grip onto the strap lugs.

So, Kevin, this metal frame on your grip -- is this what fastens down to the strap lugs? I have a milling machine, so I could fabricate one if it were in operation, but it isn't currently. It's laying in pieces in my garage and I don't know when I'm gonna get it back into service. But what I was wondering about was the possibility of using some sort of fittings that I could install into the wood grip that would secure it to the lugs somehow. So that setscrew at the bottom does what -- just screws down onto the top surface of the bottom strap lug, or wedges itself next to it, or ? Using the set screw idea, it seems to me that, if it were installed into the side of the grip -- say the side facing the lens -- that the screw(s) could secure the grip better. Just brainstorming here. It might take a bit of prototyping before I find the best solution.

06-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #5528
Veteran Member

So, Kevin, this metal frame on your grip -- is this what fastens down to the strap lugs?
Yes. I really wish I could answer your questions with accuracy but I'm going off memory from the short amount of time I had it uninstalled (literally 30 minutes) four years ago or more. :-/ If you're on Facebook, the Pentax 67 users group is easy to join and Mark Kasper is fairly responsive to PMs. Worth a conversation with him if he's not making them currently (or even if he is). Unfortunatley I can't have a look at the back of mine, but I know it's similar to the LX grip-B except that in the 67 case the bottom lug-peg is just that, a peg not a threaded hole, so he used the set-screw idea. The set is positioned above the peg. I can't show you how the plate speciciallly mounts to the wood itself but you can get an idea from the first photo. The second photo (collage) is the LX grip-b, obviously.

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 12:04 PM ----------

Hope that's helpful.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BBB100-1  Photo   
06-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #5529
Veteran Member

If I had to hazard a guess, the two pegs probably go into an enlarged hole in the brass backing piece, then the whole unit slides up to lock in in place (like the upper hole on the LX in your picture.) Then to keep the handle from sliding down and coming off, the hex bolt probably screws into a threaded hole in the brasspuling it tight against the wood and pinching the top of the lower peg between the wood and the brass. Thats a wild guess though.
06-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #5530
Veteran Member

If I had to hazard a guess, the two pegs probably go into an enlarged hole in the brass backing piece, then the whole unit slides up to lock in in place (like the upper hole on the LX in your picture.) Then to keep the handle from sliding down and coming off, the hex bolt probably screws into a threaded hole in the brasspuling it tight against the wood and pinching the top of the lower peg between the wood and the brass. Thats a wild guess though.
Yup. It's exactly something like that.
06-22-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #5531
Veteran Member

I agree. That makes sense.

Funny, I'd never noticed the threaded hole in my LX before. I just always thought in terms of the double lugs on the other side of the body and didn't pay much attention to the right side. Having that threaded hole there makes the process of fabricating a grip a lot easier. A grip for the 6x7 and 67 will require a bit more finagling to get it to stay on tight.
06-23-2018, 02:18 AM - 5 Likes   #5532
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KX. Another photo here.
KX_2 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
06-24-2018, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #5533
Veteran Member

<*sigh*> I need me a black KX.

Used to own one years ago. It's the reason why I own one now, but alas it's not a black one.
06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #5534
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KayPee with DA* 50-135 SDM (got the lens - SDM was able to catch a running dog os it'S defective )

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 01:09 PM ----------

I want the grip fot KayPee !
06-27-2018, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #5535
Pentaxian

A somewhat unfair comparision

Approximately equivalent film and digital kits:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PM1  Photo