Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #541
Pentaxian

08-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Almost Beautiful. Lose the UV filter please.
08-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #543
Pentaxian

I liked the UV filter as it added the extra reflection from the floor lamp.
08-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #544
Veteran Member

Oh it looks good, but I meant when you are shooting.

08-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #545
Pentaxian

Ah OK, well its on there for protection in general use at the moment, I am using a plastic lens cap too as the lovely metal hood/cap that came with it already has a few marks and the cap a couple of small dents after I dropped it (not attached to the lens I might add!) But it does make a nice stand for the 43!
08-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #546
Veteran Member

You dropped it? >.< the paint job on the silver ones are really prone to marks. I wouldn't recommend using metal as a stand it might scratch the body. Well it might just be me. But those silver FAs are good looking. Cheers for sharing.
08-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #547
Pentaxian

Yeah, I dropped the metal lens cap in the process of putting it into my pocket, hence now I use a 49mm plastic one and the cap/hood stay at home. Good point on the 'stand', not thought of that.
08-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #548
Veteran Member

Sorry for being an OC but I never put my metal lens cap directly in my pockets hahaha, what I do is put it on Ziploc and put it in my pocket or the camera bag, the reason is I don't want it to accumulate dust specially on the felt part, and lots of dust are inside one's pocket (I sometimes refer to it as LINT heaven) and most of the time you forget your lens cap is there, you add your car/house keys or loose change (huh metal on metal is just horrendous) But yeah it is working for me they are still pristine. And this is still, just me.

08-10-2013, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #549

Not a Pentax...

I've finally had time to do some glamour shots of the 4x5 Speed Graphic that my wife gave me as a gift a couple of months ago (from Biggs Camera -- kudos to my town's last remaining pro shop for having such a thing!). Best gift ever! This is a fairly extensive kit with a very clean camera, 3 Riteway film holders, admittedly useless film pack adapter (Catalogue No. 1234? Really?), light-sabre flash (no bulbs though), travel trunk, two different yellow filters and the adapter ring to mount them, lens hood and cap, two sync wires, two release cables, and the instruction book. This weighs in at roughly 2.5 kg for the camera alone and about 9 kg for the whole kit in the trunk, so is not for the faint-hearted.

The lens is a 135/4.7 Optar. Its shutter sounds accurate at 1/5s and faster, but sticks on 1/2s and 1s, although those aren't crucial. This is the only lens in the kit, but being new to large format, I'm not sure I'm ready anyway for swapping out rangefinder cams, mounting multiple sets of infinity stops, &c. It seems the 135 is about a normal lens so it's a fine start. I suppose I'll eventually want others, but first I'll learn the Speed Graphic basics (working with two shutters, managing film backs, using movements...)

A crazy feature of the rangefinder on this camera is the Rangelite. When you press the red button on the end of the RF, a small light bulb in the RF turns on and is projected forward through both windows; you then focus as normal, and when the two projected images (which basically are of a curlicue, i.e. the naked filament of the light bulb) coincide on your subject, you are focused at the subject distance. The projected light is so weak (being a tiny 3-volt torch bulb) that it is visible only in near-complete darkness, so I assume one was then meant to blast away at that subject with flash. Anyway, the Rangelite did not work when the camera arrived. Much to my surprise, when I opened the battery compartment in the RF, I found these:

Yes, that says "BEST SERVICE BEFORE" and is stamped "3 - 56," meaning presumably March, 1956. These appear to be 57-year-old penlight batteries--so probably the original ones that came in the camera--but only very slightly leaky. No corrosion in the chamber, so when I put in fresh Duracells, the Rangelite fired right up. Amazing! When I took it into a darkened room and tried it, I was gobsmacked. I had never heard of, let alone seen, such a thing--sort of a backwards rangefinder. It's very cool, but granted probably of no practical use unless I want to get a flash working on this camera (or do nighttime long exposures of closer-than-infinity objects, which would seem unlikely).

I am excited to do a test shoot with this monster, but I have not been able to make time yet. And large format seems to require its own dedicated equipment that's going to make this an expensive proposition. I have no scanner that can handle 4x5 (needs an Epson V700 evidently). I probably need a few more film holders. And I appear to be stuck with "taco method" film processing for now, as all I have is a Paterson-like developing tank. But I have what I need (film) to go give this its first field test...maybe next weekend.

(Glamour pix using K20D mounting Super Tak 35/2 and with a 1980s Canon Speedlite 199a flash)
--Dave
08-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #550

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
I've finally had time to do some glamour shots of the 4x5 Speed Graphic that my wife gave me as a gift a couple of months ago (from Biggs Camera -- kudos to my town's last remaining pro shop for having such a thing!). Best gift ever! This is a fairly extensive kit with a very clean camera, 3 Riteway film holders, admittedly useless film pack adapter (Catalogue No. 1234? Really?), light-sabre flash (no bulbs though), travel trunk, two different yellow filters and the adapter ring to mount them, lens hood and cap, two sync wires, two release cables, and the instruction book. This weighs in at roughly 2.5 kg for the camera alone and about 9 kg for the whole kit in the trunk, so is not for the faint-hearted.

The lens is a 135/4.7 Optar. Its shutter sounds accurate at 1/5s and faster, but sticks on 1/2s and 1s, although those aren't crucial. This is the only lens in the kit, but being new to large format, I'm not sure I'm ready anyway for swapping out rangefinder cams, mounting multiple sets of infinity stops, &c. It seems the 135 is about a normal lens so it's a fine start. I suppose I'll eventually want others, but first I'll learn the Speed Graphic basics (working with two shutters, managing film backs, using movements...)

A crazy feature of the rangefinder on this camera is the Rangelite. When you press the red button on the end of the RF, a small light bulb in the RF turns on and is projected forward through both windows; you then focus as normal, and when the two projected images (which basically are of a curlicue, i.e. the naked filament of the light bulb) coincide on your subject, you are focused at the subject distance. The projected light is so weak (being a tiny 3-volt torch bulb) that it is visible only in near-complete darkness, so I assume one was then meant to blast away at that subject with flash. Anyway, the Rangelite did not work when the camera arrived. Much to my surprise, when I opened the battery compartment in the RF, I found these:

Yes, that says "BEST SERVICE BEFORE" and is stamped "3 - 56," meaning presumably March, 1956. These appear to be 57-year-old penlight batteries--so probably the original ones that came in the camera--but only very slightly leaky. No corrosion in the chamber, so when I put in fresh Duracells, the Rangelite fired right up. Amazing! When I took it into a darkened room and tried it, I was gobsmacked. I had never heard of, let alone seen, such a thing--sort of a backwards rangefinder. It's very cool, but granted probably of no practical use unless I want to get a flash working on this camera (or do nighttime long exposures of closer-than-infinity objects, which would seem unlikely).

I am excited to do a test shoot with this monster, but I have not been able to make time yet. And large format seems to require its own dedicated equipment that's going to make this an expensive proposition. I have no scanner that can handle 4x5 (needs an Epson V700 evidently). I probably need a few more film holders. And I appear to be stuck with "taco method" film processing for now, as all I have is a Paterson-like developing tank. But I have what I need (film) to go give this its first field test...maybe next weekend.

(Glamour pix using K20D mounting Super Tak 35/2 and with a 1980s Canon Speedlite 199a flash)
--Dave
That is so interesting, and coincidental. I was looking at a Graflex Graphic View II a couple weeks ago. I even had a line on one, complete in the carry case and with a number of film holders, for $400.

Like the one in the right of this picture:

But then I found a Cambo SC for $325, again with film holders, and 2 different instant film backs. So I picked it up instead. I also snagged a Beseler 4x5 enlarger for $50.

Pictures to follow . . . . . . .
08-12-2013, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #551
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You guys are making me feel inadequate...

KMZ Zorki 3M with Jupiter-8 (50mm f/2), Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 (110mm f/4.5), Minolta XD-7 with Schneider-Kreuznach PA-Curtagon 35mm f/4 shift lens

I found the Zorki and the PA-Curtagon on the XD-7 at a local flea market, the Zeiss belonged to my grandfather.
I'm still testing the Zorki and the Zeiss for light leaks but it seems like they're in working order. They aren't too practical but fun to play with.

regards
Jan
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #552
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
I found the Zorki and the PA-Curtagon on the XD-7 at a local flea market, the Zeiss belonged to my grandfather.
I'm still testing the Zorki and the Zeiss for light leaks but it seems like they're in working order. They aren't too practical but fun to play with.
No reason to feel inadequate! That is one nice looking Zorki 3M. The camera is old as I am (mid-1950s), but the lens is much later (serial # indicates year of production). You can send the Zorki to me when you are bored with it. I love that stuff.

Steve
08-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #553

Jan, nice kit! Did Schneider actually offer that Curtagon in Minolta mount, or is it M42 and there's an adapter behind there?
08-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #554
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jan, nice kit! Did Schneider actually offer that Curtagon in Minolta mount, or is it M42 and there's an adapter behind there?
I wish it was M42...
It has an Exa-Mount (type 4a) with an adapter on it.
08-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #555
Pentaxian

--Dave
many labs do 4x5 development, so don't worry. There are also other older scanners that do good work with 4x5 and 8x10, like my Epson Perfection 4990. I am seriously wanting a v700 though.

Also, there are daylight tanks like the HP Combi-plan and the Mod54 that lets you do six sheets at a time. I have the apparently hard to find Paterson Orbital Color Print Processor and it works beautifully for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.