Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #5776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
One of the "old ones".
Really nice. Do post some more pics in the Asahiflex thread as well.

10-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #5777

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Really nice. Do post some more pics in the Asahiflex thread as well.
Which one is that? Hope the Tower 22/23/24 count as well.
10-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #5778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Which one is that? Hope the Tower 22/23/24 count as well.
This thread: Asahiflex - Collecting a gem - PentaxForums.com

Yeah Tower counts
10-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #5779
Veteran Member

I figure since I got serious about film pretty late there are some things, like Kodachrome, that I’m just never going to get a chance to experience, sadly. Another film I wrote off was Kodak HIE infrared film. The only times I’d seen it for sale it was very expensive, with questionable history and storage, and usually just a roll or two.

Well, a seller showed up on Photrio with 40 rolls of 35mm, stored frozen in lead lined bags. Expiration was 2008 so relatively new. Price was high but not outrageous at $15 a roll. So I now have 8 rolls on the way to me. Hopefully USPS doesn’t x-ray it. I don’t have any lead bags, I don’t know how important that is. I need to order a couple of R72 filters. I figure a 49mm for my Pentax lenses and a 52mm for my Nikon lenses (and the K55/1.8 I have.)

I’m really looking forward to this. If you have any suggestions on shooting HIE, I’d love to hear them.

10-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #5780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I figure since I got serious about film pretty late there are some things, like Kodachrome, that I’m just never going to get a chance to experience, sadly. Another film I wrote off was Kodak HIE infrared film. The only times I’d seen it for sale it was very expensive, with questionable history and storage, and usually just a roll or two.

Well, a seller showed up on Photrio with 40 rolls of 35mm, stored frozen in lead lined bags. Expiration was 2008 so relatively new. Price was high but not outrageous at $15 a roll. So I now have 8 rolls on the way to me. Hopefully USPS doesn’t x-ray it. I don’t have any lead bags, I don’t know how important that is. I need to order a couple of R72 filters. I figure a 49mm for my Pentax lenses and a 52mm for my Nikon lenses (and the K55/1.8 I have.)

I’m really looking forward to this. If you have any suggestions on shooting HIE, I’d love to hear them.
Interesting, does the seller have any more? I just received my first ever roll of Kodak Aerochrome back from the lab last night. Didn't have a chance to scan it yet, but most of the shots were ok. I was worried about that - shooting the most expensive film I ever touched that's expired and finicky on top of it... I'd like to try HIE, but in the spring. We won't have leaves for much longer.
10-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #5781
Veteran Member

I think he sold all 40 rolls of HIE in a couple hours.

I'd love to try Aerochrome as well. Both films seem to require a bit more planning and research, rather than just setting the ISO and shooting. I'll have to use the infrared mark on my lenses for the first time! Metering HIE seems the biggest challenge.
10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #5782
Veteran Member

I think he sold all 40 rolls of HIE in a couple hours.

I'd love to try Aerochrome as well. Both films seem to require a bit more planning and research, rather than just setting the ISO and shooting. I'll have to use the infrared mark on my lenses for the first time! Metering HIE seems the biggest challenge.
I shot Rollei infrared and Aerochrome, and although I have yet to scan Aerochrome, it looks like I didn't mess up too much. So the metering seems doable... But you do need planning for sure. I remember reading a review of Aerochrome and the guy said not to take photos on overcast days. I shot the whole roll (120) in about 40 minutes. There were clouds, but lots of blue sky as well. It seems that when I was taking one of the photos there was no blue sky in the frame, and that sky doesn't look nice at all. Aerochrome is certainly the most expensive film I have shot ($60 CAD). I will wait for the scans to decide if I ever decide to splurge so much on one roll of film again.

10-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #5783
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I shot Rollei infrared and Aerochrome, and although I have yet to scan Aerochrome, it looks like I didn't mess up too much. So the metering seems doable... But you do need planning for sure. I remember reading a review of Aerochrome and the guy said not to take photos on overcast days. I shot the whole roll (120) in about 40 minutes. There were clouds, but lots of blue sky as well. It seems that when I was taking one of the photos there was no blue sky in the frame, and that sky doesn't look nice at all. Aerochrome is certainly the most expensive film I have shot ($60 CAD). I will wait for the scans to decide if I ever decide to splurge so much on one roll of film again.
yikes, that a lot! Fortunately, Kodak's datasheet on HIE gives some suggested ISOs for different filter types. I think the filter I'm going to end up with is an 89B, which is not pure IR, as it lets a little red through. Kodak suggests metering at ISO 50 for an 89B or ISO 25 for a 87 and ISO 10 for a 87C. Nonetheless, nothing or almost nothing will be visible through the viewfinder (if I'm shooting an SLR.) So a tripod will be necessary: mount the camera, frame the shot, focus, adjust focus with the infrared focusing mark on the lens, meter, set shutter/aperture, attach filter, take the picture (or bracket my shots).

The other odd thing is the warning to load and unload film from the camera in a darkroom. (there is someone on ebay selling a roll of HIE in an old metal film canister. The canister clearly states to open in a darkroom, but of course the seller took the film out for the photo...)
10-28-2018, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5784

My favourite piece of kit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X100T  Photo 
10-30-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #5785

A trig point on the South Downs above Eastbourne
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Scan Dual IV  Photo 
10-30-2018, 04:34 PM - 7 Likes   #5786
Pentaxian

Getting ready for vacation later this week, getting my MZ-S ready to roll.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
11-03-2018, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #5787
Pentaxian

Something not quite right here. 😊 Seen in a shop window on Broadway, New York City.

Something is not quite right. par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
11-03-2018, 10:49 AM - 7 Likes   #5788
Pentaxian

Recent acquisition: Riken Optical Company "Ricoh 35s" rangefinder with original user manual, uv + set of closeup filters. Really good shape, small dent on top of lens, focus levers are really stiff, receipt for 1977 cla...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ULTRA M50G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ULTRA M50G  Photo 
11-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #5789
Pentaxian

Got my first roll back from the lab. There's images on it, so I dropped off a roll my niece shot on it 1-2 years ago that was still in the camera. My brother said he thought she had finished the roll, but when I rewound, it seemed like there were only a few frames to wind back. Anyhow I'll know when I get it back next week. I'll post some scans from my roll this weekend.
11-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #5790
Veteran Member

filter step ring might be cheaper?

Last edited by Xmas; 11-14-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling