Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #6481
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get thee behind me, Kevin! I would so like to have your OM.
Sorry friend. I have it listed elsewhere, though rather high while I shoot it some for the coming weeks. The body has a metering issue - it functions and responds but the values it's reporting are markedly inaccurate/low. And I think I posted about the Zuiko on it previously - the innermost element group still has fungus. There was so much contact cement on the retaining threads down in there I'd have needed to completely disassemble the helical and probably put it in a grip and apply more liberal naptha as well as percussive force to free it...All of which I just wasn't willing to do at this point (I bent the tip of one my spanner sets twice trying to free the damn thing), so reassembled and called it good enough.
The body did get a thorough top cleaning though and I removed all the old crumbling prism/finder insulation. There's minor corrosion from that in one spot of the prism, so good that's nipped at the bud before it got worse.

12-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #6482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
That looks like a hot shoe grip held in the bracket from an AF400T flash unit, with an AF280T on top. If that is so, I did not realise that the AF400T body could be separated its bracket; I have never handled one, they were very expensive new and I never saw a good second-hand one. I use a similar arrangement to yours, but with a third-party flash bar. I see you have the Sync Cord type B, going to the camera hotshoe; I have a Sync Cord type A which goes to the contacts on the LX front, not an entirely brilliant arrangement.
It is actually a hot shoe grip (http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/wp-content/uploads/bojidar/flashes/misc/grip.jpg). I've never seen the AF400T in the flesh, but I don't think the flash detaches from its grip. Perhaps someone who has one can clarify.

Best wishes, Kris.
12-22-2019, 03:04 PM - 11 Likes   #6483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some lens purchases over the past couple years. (Sorry about the crappy image, as I had to borrow a digital camera from work and it's a Nikon Uncoolpix...)

Phil.
Attached Images

12-22-2019, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #6484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Some lens purchases over the past couple years. (Sorry about the crappy image, as I had to borrow a digital camera from work and it's a Nikon Uncoolpix...)

Phil.
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin...

12-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #6485
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Sorry friend. I have it listed elsewhere, though rather high while I shoot it some for the coming weeks. The body has a metering issue - it functions and responds but the values it's reporting are markedly inaccurate/low. And I think I posted about the Zuiko on it previously - the innermost element group still has fungus. There was so much contact cement on the retaining threads down in there I'd have needed to completely disassemble the helical and probably put it in a grip and apply more liberal naptha as well as percussive force to free it...All of which I just wasn't willing to do at this point (I bent the tip of one my spanner sets twice trying to free the damn thing), so reassembled and called it good enough.
The body did get a thorough top cleaning though and I removed all the old crumbling prism/finder insulation. There's minor corrosion from that in one spot of the prism, so good that's nipped at the bud before it got worse.
Ha! Ha! That is a thorough enough dowsing to quench my fervor! Good luck on the sale.

Steve
12-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #6486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! That is a thorough enough dowsing to quench my fervor! Good luck on the sale.
Oh good.Hahahah... All in all I'm surprised it came out as well as it did considering the state it was in when given to me. One plus, the thick ashtray scent has been all but eradicated (except on the zoom which keeps reacquiring a touch of it from some hidden depths of the lens' hard case).
12-23-2019, 01:14 AM - 2 Likes   #6487

Sorry about the crappy image
Didn't notice any quality issues with so many stars in the picture.

12-23-2019, 03:34 AM - 3 Likes   #6488
Pentaxian

Here's my silver MX with the K 135mm f/2.5

_IMG6374a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
12-23-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #6489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Didn't notice any quality issues with so many stars in the picture.
It looks like two of the lenses don’t have stars. I wonder if the photo was taken with one of those Sony ‘Star eater’ cameras?

-Eric
12-23-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #6490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won this on ebay. Advertised as "untested" which of course actually meant "couldn't be more broken". The lens seems fine albeit fungus-y, and the autofocus/focus confirmation works* despite the camera itself being totally dead. It did come with a *PRISTINE* 50mm f1.7 though which isn't bad for £80... I guess?

Looks like this + motor drive won't be replacing my fleet of Nikon F5's, sadly

*and by "works" I mean "oof this is terrible"

Last edited by RedRuff; 12-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.
12-23-2019, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #6491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I won this on ebay. Advertised as "untested" which of course actually meant "couldn't be more broken".

Exactly. This seems more and more common. Translation --- "I have tested it and it doesn't work and is likely not repairable but please pay for my regular profit margin whilst holding on to the slim-to-none hope you still have inside that I may actually in fact mean 'un-tested'."

(I recently sent a bit of a terse comment to a seller that stated "Untested and sold as such as I do not have the proper battery to power it"...
It was an early 80s body which took AAA cells. And it was certainly not priced "as such".)
12-24-2019, 03:12 AM   #6492
Pentaxian

I won this on ebay. Advertised as "untested" which of course actually meant "couldn't be more broken". The lens seems fine albeit fungus-y, and the autofocus/focus confirmation works* despite the camera itself being totally dead. It did come with a *PRISTINE* 50mm f1.7 though which isn't bad for £80... I guess?

Looks like this + motor drive won't be replacing my fleet of Nikon F5's, sadly

*and by "works" I mean "oof this is terrible"
I'd say you over-paid for that 50mm to the tune of £55 or so
12-24-2019, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #6493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phil.
That's what this thread is all about!
Where's the boss? (A50/ f1.7)

Thanks,
12-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #6494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
That's what this thread is all about!
Where's the boss? (A50/ f1.7)

Thanks,
My other "A's" had to quietly watch from the sidelines...

Thanks, Phil.
12-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #6495
Veteran Member

I won this on ebay. Advertised as "untested" which of course actually meant "couldn't be more broken".
I've been trying to find a medium format body to shoot roll film with. Was looking for either a mamiya or pentax 645 or 67 kit...and every cheap one on ebay states that is "untested". You can sometimes find real gems but most of the time the people on ebay selling as-is gear knows exactly what they have and how to sell it. Every pawn shop\thrift store has been picked clean thanks to easy valuation by using your smart phone.