Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 03:27 AM   #6961
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The ST series Fujicas all use their modified m42 screw mount. It has a little tab their stop-down metering employs somehow.
Interesting as my ST701 has a plain M42 mount with nothing to connect to a tab on the lens.

Ronnie

08-07-2020, 05:34 AM   #6962
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
Interesting as my ST701 has a plain M42 mount with nothing to connect to a tab on the lens.

Ronnie
I don't see exactly what the tab on the lens is engaging with on the mount of my ST605N either, but the tab is definitely on the lens, which undoubtedly came with the camera originally.

Mamiya-Sekor SX lenses are also screw mount with an extra little pin, and also a rim on the back end of the lens mount. If I put the 200mm one of them I have on my Pentaz ESII, the rim is well outside of the circumference of the camera's slightly protruding mount ring, and so is the pin. Neither interferes with mounting the lens properly. Yet the rim and the pin both interfere with mounting the lens fully on a Pentax DSLR with it's m42-to-K adapter. The pin wouldn't be hard to remove, but it would take a couple of hours (or more) of filing to get that rim off, so it will remain a film camera lens.

Anyway, next roll of film I put through the ST605N, I'll also try a couple of old Takumar and other m42 lenses and see whether the camera does anything different with tabless lenses.
08-07-2020, 07:28 AM - 5 Likes   #6963
Veteran Member

I don't see exactly what the tab on the lens is engaging with on the mount of my ST605N either, but the tab is definitely on the lens, which undoubtedly came with the camera originally.

The M42 Fujinon offered open aperture metering. The M42 lenses had a small tab on the aperture ring, which was used to index the meter on the screw mount of the old ST models such as the ST705w -ST801 ect.

I own a fair collection of these cameras and use my 705w on occasion. The 705w is my favorite of the old ST line-up, although the 801 has a nice bright viewfinder and is simple and rugged, making it my #2 of the old Fujinons.

This site gives you a little info on the olg Fujinons
https://cameragx.com/2017/03/01/the-fujica-x-film-cameras/

2 of my favorites in collection:

Last edited by kevinWE; 08-07-2020 at 07:58 AM.
08-07-2020, 10:45 AM - 3 Likes   #6964
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to a member of the UK fora, I now have the correct lens hood for my K50/1.2, seen here on my LX.

K50 lenshood par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Photo taken using a K-3, K50/4 macro and a Pentax focus rail.

08-07-2020, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #6965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've discovered why there is nothing on my ST605N's body to engage with the tab on the Fujinon lens's aperture tab. That camera does NOT do "open aperture metering." I just reread the parts in the manual that talk about metering and they clearly say that when you press the button that turns on the meter, the viewfinder will darken consistent with the selected aperture. There isn't any other way for the camera to meter that I wasn't using due to my inexperience with the camera. When I take off the lens off and press the metering button, the pressure plate inside the mount moves forward to press the aperture pin on the lens. This essentially the same as what happened with my first SLR, a Ricoh TLS Singlex, which came out about about 10 years earlier than this Fujica. It doesn't bother me. I do especially like that the meter button springs out and off, so the meter can't be accidentally left on.

I have visited the page you posted the link for. Part of the reason I had been looking for an ST801. But I do like this little ST605N.

Does that yellow Fujica book include any info about the ST models with the N and W or other letter suffixes? I can't find any detailed descriptions of its contents.

Your 701s look great!

Oooh, OOOH -- new discovery: The ST605N takes slide-on viewfinder eye cups made for the AX-1, 2,3s. It doesn't take a screw-on eye cup like some other Fujica ST bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
The M42 Fujinon offered open aperture metering. The M42 lenses had a small tab on the aperture ring, which was used to index the meter on the screw mount of the old ST models such as the ST705w -ST801 ect.

I own a fair collection of these cameras and use my 705w on occasion. The 705w is my favorite of the old ST line-up, although the 801 has a nice bright viewfinder and is simple and rugged, making it my #2 of the old Fujinons.

This site gives you a little info on the olg Fujinons
The Fujica film cameras – the best screw mount SLRs ever? – CamerAgX – a new life for old gear

2 of my favorites in collection:

08-07-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #6966
Veteran Member

Does that yellow Fujica book include any info about the ST models with the N and W or other letter suffixes? I can't find any detailed descriptions of its contents.

That book is long out of print and EXTREMELY hard to find. When it does pop up sellers are asking very high prices for that book.

The W on the 705w stands for winder. The straight 705 doesn't have a winder option.

Covered in the book:
ST901
ST801
ST705
AZ-1
ST605

I have 3 copies of the ST801 - I have the 1st version with engraved lettering on a black body, I have the second version with raised lettering on a silver body, then I have another that needs serviced with a jammed film advance. That copy is a silver 1st version. I need to get a few more pics of my collection. below is my black version, she's a little rough displaying some brassing here and there but it works as it should. I also posted my ST901.

Last edited by kevinWE; 08-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.
08-07-2020, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #6967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
That book is long out of print and EXTREMELY hard to find. When it does pop up sellers are asking very high prices for that book.

The W on the 705w stands for winder. The straight 705 doesn't have a winder option.

Covered in the book:
ST901
ST801
ST705
AZ-1
ST605

I have 3 copies of the ST801 - I have the 1st version with engraved lettering on a black body, I have the second version with raised lettering on a silver body, then I have another that needs serviced with a jammed film advance. That copy is a silver 1st version. I need to get a few more pics of my collection. below is my black version, she's a little rough displaying some brassing here and there but it works as it should. I also posted my ST901.

Thanks for info on the book. I'd buy one if it included the N-suffix models, too. I've seen very reasonably priced copies on ebay, but they might have been softbound. I forget.

Since I only add equipment to my "collection" with the intention to use it, a bit of brassing wouldn't trouble me a bit. My K1000 formerly belonged to a high school photography club and is beat all to heck, but after a minor repair I did, it works just fine. That's all that matters to me. I got my ESII from the $5 broken camera bin at a camera store that was going out of business. Only the meter is broken; it takes great pictures when I bring my hand-held light meter along with me!

This just gave me knew ideas for pictures to take for this thread. Pictures of my cameras with glorious blemishes on them.

08-07-2020, 08:54 PM - 5 Likes   #6968
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought I would show off most of my collection.
Most important things missing Pentax KP & DA 21mm Limited however they did participate in the photo shoot.
Spent ages setting it up but looks good lol o to me was worth it.
There is a full 110 system in the background that sort of got lost in the image
So much more camera gear, I would need a bigger room to setup in.

Last edited by VILLAINofOZ; 08-07-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
08-10-2020, 01:22 AM - 6 Likes   #6969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This tiny frined joined my collection last week.
It is in great condition, just out of CLA.
Now shown, but was part of the kit, is several other lenses: S-M-C Takumar 105mm, S-M-C Takumar 200mm and SMC Pentax-6x7 55mm, macro extention tubes, standard view finder, TTL view finder, pola back and a large amount of old film.
Attached Images

08-10-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #6970
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
This tiny frined joined my collection last week.
It is in great condition, just out of CLA.
Now shown, but was part of the kit, is several other lenses: S-M-C Takumar 105mm, S-M-C Takumar 200mm and SMC Pentax-6x7 55mm, macro extention tubes, standard view finder, TTL view finder, pola back and a large amount of old film.
I'm not jealous. No, I'm not, really. Honest. 🤥
08-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #6971
Pentaxian

I seem to have "accidentally" ended-up with a set of filters for a lens I do not own...

filters (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

filters (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Perhaps I can get a stepping ring and use them with my Auto 110...
08-10-2020, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #6972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I seem to have "accidentally" ended-up with a set of filters for a lens I do not own...

Or you can go buy the lens...

-Eric
08-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #6973
Veteran Member

Thanks for info on the book. I'd buy one if it included the N-suffix models, too. I've seen very reasonably priced copies on ebay, but they might have been softbound. I forget.

There's a green soft bound book that sell cheap. It isn't the same book as the HB yellow book. The yellow book is hard to find and is no longer cheap, even on eBay, although a rough copy may show up every now and again at a reasonable price. Hard to say.

As far as the 605 and the 605N are concerned, they are the same exact camera with the exception of “N” model including a shutter speed display in the viewfinder.

Last edited by kevinWE; 08-10-2020 at 06:16 PM.
08-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #6974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Or you can go buy the lens...

-Eric
I can certainly dream... 😊
08-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #6975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which lens would they fit? Are they for drop-in on one of the larger lenses?

---------- Post added 08-11-2020 at 09:05 AM ----------

I'm not jealous. No, I'm not, really. Honest. 🤥
Well....