Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #7246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Attempt to paint it black yourself then send it to Ismael when you find you've made a boo-boo?
Ismael already has a camera I used to own. Not a basket case, however!

11-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #7247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The K2DMD is too expensive for me to justify.
Most of the K2DMDs that I have seen have looked rather battered. Perhaps because they were used by press photographers?
11-26-2020, 05:14 PM - 5 Likes   #7248
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took delivery yesterday of a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 fixed lens rangefinder dating to the late 1960s and figured that celebration with a photo session might be appropriate. Pictured with the Hi-Matic is a Yashica Lynx 1000. My first adjustable camera was a Lynx and while that camera was stolen in 1971, I have owned the Lynx in the photo for about a decade. Aside from a jammed aperture rod (a common problem), the Lynx is a fully operational example of one of the better cameras of that type from the early-to-mid 1960s. It has a coupled selenium meter with both viewfinder and camera top read-out, shutter speeds from 1s - 1/1000s, and high quality 45mm f/1.8 lens out front. It handles nicely and is a pleasure to shoot with.

The Minolta, while similar in form and general specs is a quite different camera overall with a feature set that was quite extensive for the time:
  • CLC CdS meter (requires batteries) similar to that in Minolta SLRs.Program Autoexposure (a first) with manual option using EV numbers from the meter (uncoupled in manual mode)
  • Meter EV viewfinder display, this is somewhat different and might be a puzzle even if you think you know what EV means.
  • Hot shoe + PC flash sync
  • Innovative Easy Flash system...choose a guide number and the camera automagically varies aperture according to focus distance (wow)! This cool feature only works in manual mode, is still very clever IMHO.

Lynx...Meet the Hi-Matic

Pentax K-3, XR Rikenon 35/2.8

Steve
11-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #7249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Innovative Easy Flash system...choose a guide number and the camera automagically varies aperture according to focus distance (wow)! This cool feature only works in manual mode, is still very clever IMHO.

FYI: Nikon introduced a 45mm f2.8 GN lens in 1968. With the appropriate Nikon strobe, the lens' aperture would open/close as you focused to keep the flash exposure correct. These were probably eclipsed when strobes began to have sensors to adjust flash output, and especially when thyrister circuitry was introduced.

11-27-2020, 07:22 AM - 6 Likes   #7250
Pentaxian

I took delivery yesterday of a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 fixed lens rangefinder dating to the late 1960s and figured that celebration with a photo session might be appropriate. Pictured with the Hi-Matic is a Yashica Lynx 1000. My first adjustable camera was a Lynx and while that camera was stolen in 1971, I have owned the Lynx in the photo for about a decade. Aside from a jammed aperture rod (a common problem), the Lynx is a fully operational example of one of the better cameras of that type from the early-to-mid 1960s. It has a coupled selenium meter with both viewfinder and camera top read-out, shutter speeds from 1s - 1/1000s, and high quality 45mm f/1.8 lens out front. It handles nicely and is a pleasure to shoot with.

The Minolta, while similar in form and general specs is a quite different camera overall with a feature set that was quite extensive for the time:
  • CLC CdS meter (requires batteries) similar to that in Minolta SLRs.Program Autoexposure (a first) with manual option using EV numbers from the meter (uncoupled in manual mode)
  • Meter EV viewfinder display, this is somewhat different and might be a puzzle even if you think you know what EV means.
  • Hot shoe + PC flash sync
  • Innovative Easy Flash system...choose a guide number and the camera automagically varies aperture according to focus distance (wow)! This cool feature only works in manual mode, is still very clever IMHO.

Lynx...Meet the Hi-Matic

Pentax K-3, XR Rikenon 35/2.8

I had a Hi-Matic on my radar but then CoViD hit and when I went back to the shop to buy it, it was closed, and who knows if it'll ever open again. I'd still like to get one some day, as long as it's a model that has full manual control. I've read the lenses are very good, as I'd expect from any Rokkor of the period.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Most of the K2DMDs that I have seen have looked rather battered. Perhaps because they were used by press photographers?
I'm sure I'll have posted this in this thread before, but here's mine, looking not too shabby at all

IMGP6971a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
11-27-2020, 11:11 AM - 3 Likes   #7251
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I took delivery yesterday of a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 fixed lens rangefinder dating to the late 1960s and figured that celebration with a photo session might be appropriate.
Steve
The Minolta Hi-Matic 9 was my first classic camera acquisition and I was just completely blown away by it that is started me down that rabbit hole . . .

It is so quiet, that most of the time I can't even tell if the shutter fired!

---------- Post added 11-27-20 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm sure I'll have posted this in this thread before, but here's mine, looking not too shabby at all

IMGP6971a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Another one that continues to elude me . . .
11-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #7252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: Nikon introduced a 45mm f2.8 GN lens in 1968. With the appropriate Nikon strobe, the lens' aperture would open/close as you focused to keep the flash exposure correct. These were probably eclipsed when strobes began to have sensors to adjust flash output, and especially when thyrister circuitry was introduced.

It's a great pancake lens that I use as a regular lens w/o flash on my Nikon F. Has a funky focus feel though, where it feels like nothing is happening part way through the focus range.

11-27-2020, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #7253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mamiya Sekor answer to the Spotmatic II (non functional) taken with Macro Takumar 50/4 on K-r.
Attached Images

11-27-2020, 06:18 PM - 4 Likes   #7254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

A working just restored Late model H1a with a just restored and working Honeywell Pentax Type 2 Clip-On meter.

Thanks,
11-28-2020, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #7255
Pentaxian

Mamiya Sekor answer to the Spotmatic II (non functional) taken with Macro Takumar 50/4 on K-r.
The model name indicates that they were aiming at making a digital twin lens camera, but digital photography wasn't invented yet, and they didn't know were to put the second lens, so they ended up with this. They kept the name, though.
11-28-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #7256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Another one that continues to elude me . . .
Did I mention that after selling off the lenses that came with it, I got the camera for free?

11-28-2020, 06:37 AM - 4 Likes   #7257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been posting photos made with this lens, figured I should show it off.
Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 1:1 (1964-66) Photographed with my K-r and Auto Takumar 35mm f/2.3 with a 10mm Takumar extension tube. Old school cool.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
11-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #7258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first adjustable camera was a Lynx and while that camera was stolen in 1971, I have owned the Lynx in the photo for about a decade.
For may of us, we have a nostalgic link to our first cameras. I had a Zeiss Ikon SLR that was stolen, my first adjustable camera also, and was happy to find another copy of it years ago, just to have one back. Very nice camera, and well built! Maybe it is a link to our youth, or just a want to have something restored that was lost. Either way, it is somehow a comfort to have such things back with us!
11-28-2020, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #7259
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Did I mention that after selling off the lenses that came with it, I got the camera for free?

Oh so that's how we're gonna roll is it . . .

---------- Post added 11-28-20 at 12:54 PM ----------

I've been posting photos made with this lens, figured I should show it off.
Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 1:1 (1964-66) Photographed with my K-r and Auto Takumar 35mm f/2.3 with a 10mm Takumar extension tube. Old school cool.
I was late on the trigger picking one up!

---------- Post added 11-28-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

And they actually gave it spot metering!

One given to me by a colleague that he bought and used while in high school.

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-28-2020 at 10:58 AM.
11-28-2020, 12:12 PM - 5 Likes   #7260
Pentaxian

My humble collection Takumars
(picture made with my Q and the 01)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo