Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #7636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hepcat Quote
The Mamiya "Noctilux" is an 80mm f/1.9 that is absolutely stellar. I have one.
Yes, I've heard of that one. Quite hard to come by but I have seen a few for sale around these parts over the years. I don't have a Mamiya to use them on though and now that MF prices are through the roof I likely never will.

02-09-2021, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #7637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a little late to the game with my big boy, but here it is. Pentax SF1, Pentax FA 28-200, Vivitar 2600-D. All batteries included.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G981V  Photo 
02-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #7638
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yes, I've heard of that one. Quite hard to come by but I have seen a few for sale around these parts over the years. I don't have a Mamiya to use them on though and now that MF prices are through the roof I likely never will.
They're really not that hard to come by, although they have risen in price over the past three years. A nice one now is ballpark $400. And honestly, that's still cheaper than a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 or pretty much any other 85mm large-aperture lens from any other manufacturer, and about the same as the 85 f/1.8s from others are going. But you can still pick up a Mamiya M645J body pretty cheap, usually less than $200 if the spirit moved you. Quite honestly, I have an adapter for my Mamiya lenses to use them on my Nikons. I also have adapters for my Pentacon 6 mount CZJ lenses to use on both my Mamiya/Phase One 645 bodies and my Nikons as well. Why not?
02-09-2021, 05:15 PM - 4 Likes   #7639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A new addition...Konica Pearl Ii...$87 shipped from Japan. It needed a little work with the RF coupling but it seems to be working fine now. I still need to check focus calibration, but I think it's close. Not too bad, but this one does make we want to get a Pearl IV.

02-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #7640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
A new addition...Konica Pearl Ii...$87 shipped from Japan. It needed a little work with the RF coupling but it seems to be working fine now. I still need to check focus calibration, but I think it's close. Not too bad, but this one does make we want to get a Pearl IV.
If the lens in yours is as good as the one in mine, you'll be really happy...
It's a marvelous camera once you get around using the wrong button to take a picture...
Though I wish it had a normal flash synch...

-Eric
02-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #7641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
If the lens in yours is as good as the one in mine, you'll be really happy...
It's a marvelous camera once you get around using the wrong button to take a picture...
Though I wish it had a normal flash synch...

-Eric
I actually have a whole bunch of flash bulbs and a couple flash units with new batteries. Here's an interesting thing...if you look at the front element, it looks different than most Pearl IIs. What I found was, someone glued a washer over the front element and painted it black. I used some nail polish remover to loosen it up and pull it off. I found a little crack on the edge of the front element. For what I paid it's basically a parts body and I bought it as-is, so I don't really care. I'll give it a try anyway.

02-10-2021, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #7642
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually have a whole bunch of flash bulbs and a couple flash units with new batteries. Here's an interesting thing...if you look at the front element, it looks different than most Pearl IIs. What I found was, someone glued a washer over the front element and painted it black. I used some nail polish remover to loosen it up and pull it off. I found a little crack on the edge of the front element. For what I paid it's basically a parts body and I bought it as-is, so I don't really care. I'll give it a try anyway.
Now that I think about it, I do have some bulbs, and I may have a flash that uses the old synch style.
That's not an ideal long term solution, but firing off some old-school bulbs would impress the kid if nothing else...

That is a weird thing to do with the lens. Just glancing, I'd figured it was just a different lens variant (there were a couple, IIRC).
Mine came shipped in a Goodwill box from exotic Idaho with a bunch of highly-loved gear junk.

-Eric

02-10-2021, 04:51 AM   #7643
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that I think about it, I do have some bulbs, and I may have a flash that uses the old synch style.

That's not an ideal long term solution, but firing off some old-school bulbs would impress the kid if nothing else...

That is a weird thing to do with the lens. Just glancing, I'd figured it was just a different lens variant (there were a couple, IIRC).

Mine came shipped in a Goodwill box from exotic Idaho with a bunch of highly-loved gear junk.

-Eric
Very nice. I'm surprised how expensive the III and IV are... especially the IV. You can get a Fujifilm GS690 for less. I'd like a IV but I'm not spending $600 for one...I'd rather have a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya 645.

02-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #7644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. I'm surprised how expensive the III and IV are... especially the IV. You can get a Fujifilm GS690 for less. I'd like a IV but I'm not spending $600 for one...I'd rather have a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya 645.
I'm with you there; and condition of some of them isn't great, either... "ex++++ has fungus and visible rust"

I was a little bothered at first at getting the f4.5 lens instead of the f3.5, but on a rangefinder it doesn't impact the focusing any, and I generally shoot these things at f5.6 or f8.0 anyway.
The end results have been fine. And I have a Mine Six with the "fast" Takumar if I really need f3.5

-Eric
02-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #7645
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with you there; and condition of some of them isn't great, either... "ex++++ has fungus and visible rust"

I was a little bothered at first at getting the f4.5 lens instead of the f3.5, but on a rangefinder it doesn't impact the focusing any, and I generally shoot these things at f5.6 or f8.0 anyway.
The end results have been fine. And I have a Mine Six with the "fast" Takumar if I really need f3.5

-Eric
I just realized the flash sync is a kodak/graphed type... I don't have an adapter and I'm not paying $60+ for one...might have to make one from a PC cord.

02-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #7646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-Eric
...and I bought a Pearl III today...$156 total which included shipping from Japan and tax. I couldn't pass it up at that price. I had to translate description but sounds like a small spot of fungus on one element and some pinholes in the bellows are the main issues. I also bought some black acrylic paint to touch up the bellows light leaks...assuming they're minor.

02-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #7647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have, after some years of looking, bought a nice Zeiss Super Ikonta IV Model 534/16. The focusing was really stiff and so I have sent it off for a CLA. The bellows were free of pinholes, the focusing accuracy seemed OK (but needs more testing) and even the light meter wasn't too far off (although I shall probably rely on my handheld meter). It came with a hood and two filters. When it comes back I'll take its portrait and post it here.

K.
02-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #7648
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have, after some years of looking, bought a nice Zeiss Super Ikonta IV Model 534/16. The focusing was really stiff and so I have sent it off for a CLA. The bellows were free of pinholes, the focusing accuracy seemed OK (but needs more testing) and even the light meter wasn't too far off (although I shall probably rely on my handheld meter). It came with a hood and two filters. When it comes back I'll take its portrait and post it here.

K.
Is that one of the high-spec ones with rangefinder and relatively fast lens?

I just realised the other day that I haven't used either of my Zeiss Ikon MF folders (or my Franka Solida III folder) since 2015. They're nothing fancy but enjoyable to use and produce nice results. I should put them into use and burn through some of the expired 120 film I have.
02-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #7649
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Is that one of the high-spec ones with rangefinder and relatively fast lens?

I just realised the other day that I haven't used either of my Zeiss Ikon MF folders (or my Franka Solida III folder) since 2015. They're nothing fancy but enjoyable to use and produce nice results. I should put them into use and burn through some of the expired 120 film I have.
Yes, it has a rangefinder and a f/3.5 lens. Hefty (who used to post on the UK forum but I haven't seen in years, sadly) highly recommended it and I've had half-an-eye out for one ever since.

K.
02-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #7650

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Yes, it has a rangefinder and a f/3.5 lens. Hefty (who used to post on the UK forum but I haven't seen in years, sadly) highly recommended it and I've had half-an-eye out for one ever since.

K.
Nice! I have one that's cosmetically lovely, with a working meter, but needs a CLA, hope to do that before long.