Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #7651
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I'm with you there; and condition of some of them isn't great, either... "ex++++ has fungus and visible rust"

I was a little bothered at first at getting the f4.5 lens instead of the f3.5, but on a rangefinder it doesn't impact the focusing any, and I generally shoot these things at f5.6 or f8.0 anyway.
The end results have been fine. And I have a Mine Six with the "fast" Takumar if I really need f3.5

-Eric
Btw...I've seen the Pearl II with both Kodak/Graphlex flash plug and PC sync flash plug. Here's a PC sync version on ebay I found... https://www.ebay.com/itm/333611137612

Actually that one has a 75/3.5 lens. It doesn't have the Pearl III winder knob, so either it's a Pearl II late model or someone swapped a lens from a Pearl III.

02-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #7652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Btw...I've seen the Pearl II with both Kodak/Graphlex flash plug and PC sync flash plug. Here's a PC sync version on ebay I found... Konishiroku Pearl II Hexar 75mm F3 5 Pearl hexa | eBay

Actually that one has a 75/3.5 lens. It doesn't have the Pearl III winder knob, so either it's a Pearl II late model or someone swapped a lens from a Pearl III.
From what I’ve read, both lenses were available on the II, and the pc flash socket was a late update to the II.
So it’s likely just a late II... though you never know... people swap all sorts of things...

-Eric
02-19-2021, 10:56 AM - 4 Likes   #7653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
From what I’ve read, both lenses were available on the II, and the pc flash socket was a late update to the II.
So it’s likely just a late II... though you never know... people swap all sorts of things...

-Eric
Well I got my Pearl III yesterday...$154 shipping and tax included. The viewfinder, lens and shutter are all good. Cosmetics are ok for the price with a few leatherette chips on the front door. The only problems I found were pinholes in the bellows (which I knew about when I bought it). I got some Acrylic leather paint and I'm working on getting the holes plugged. Also flash sync is screwed up. X sync doesn't flash when fired but does flash when cocking the shutter. I'm not a Seikosha shutter expert so I'm probably not going to try to fix this.

02-19-2021, 11:04 AM - 6 Likes   #7654
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Everything SMC Pentax that I found around the house:

02-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #7655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Well I got my Pearl III yesterday...$154 shipping and tax included. The viewfinder, lens and shutter are all good. Cosmetics are ok for the price with a few leatherette chips on the front door. The only problems I found were pinholes in the bellows (which I knew about when I bought it). I got some Acrylic leather paint and I'm working on getting the holes plugged. Also flash sync is screwed up. X sync doesn't flash when fired but does flash when cocking the shutter. I'm not a Seikosha shutter expert so I'm probably not going to try to fix this.
Looks good!
I had a camera a while back (I forget what it was) with a bad x sync, but it had a flash bulb sync that worked fine at some shutter speeds.

-Eric
02-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #7656
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice looking Pearl, Tony. I'd really like to find one for that price.

Hey, just a tip for you. There's a product called Plasti-Dip that comes in liquid form or in aerosol cans, and it also comes in a variety of colors. I prefer aerosol and black for photographic use. It is a rubberized compound that is used to insulate tool handles. I've used it to plug pinhole leaks in shutters and in bellows. For bellows leaks, I've found that spraying multiple thin coats works very well. Because it's flexible, it tends to stay put, too.
02-22-2021, 11:58 PM - 7 Likes   #7657
Pentaxian

Finally found a nice cabinet for the collection It's a mid-century John Grimes piece.

Rolleiflex 2.8D, 80mm Planar and Ektar100

02-25-2021, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #7658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loaded and ready to go. Ilford HP 5 on-board.

First time I try out a Pentax autofocus film SLR. I do think the z-1p is the best one in my collection for this "test". The down side is that the manual is huge and that there are loads of options... Might need to bring the manual along...

Which is your prefered autofocus film SLR?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
02-25-2021, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #7659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote

First time I try out a Pentax autofocus film SLR. I do think the z-1p is the best one in my collection for this "test". The down side is that the manual is huge and that there are loads of options... Might need to bring the manual along...

I used a trio of Z-1p (PZ-1p) bodies professionally in the 1990s to 2004 and found the cameras to be extremely capable. The 1/250th second flash sync speed and ease of adjustable off the film metering flash made contrast control flash easy. Autofocus was accurate but slow. The metering system and control options are excellent. Hyper Program mode- a feature introduced on the Z-1, remains on todays newest DSLR models. Battery life with the 2CR5 Lithium is not great, always carry spares.

**** You may wish to tape over or superglue the silly panorama slider on the back of the camera-it can be easily accidentally activated, ruining you photos. All the switch does is put a blind across the top and bottom of the shutter, masking it to a fake “panoramic” format. ****
02-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #7660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Nice looking Pearl, Tony. I'd really like to find one for that price.

Hey, just a tip for you. There's a product called Plasti-Dip that comes in liquid form or in aerosol cans, and it also comes in a variety of colors. I prefer aerosol and black for photographic use. It is a rubberized compound that is used to insulate tool handles. I've used it to plug pinhole leaks in shutters and in bellows. For bellows leaks, I've found that spraying multiple thin coats works very well. Because it's flexible, it tends to stay put, too.
Yes, I know about that product. If I had allot of holes I'd go that route, but I only found 3 spots leaking like. I use acrylic leather paint for the same reason, that it's flexible. Right now I think the light leaks are taken care of. I have a shutter problem though. MLX switch doesn't seem to work and flash doesn't fire on shutter release, but it does fire on cocking. Also, and I think it's related, sometimes 1 second doesn't close the blades all the way. I don't know Seikosha shutters that well...and I'd hate to trash this camera by dabbling...I may find someone to CLA the shutter.

02-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #7661
Pentaxian

I hven't tried one yet - expecting a Maxxum 5 to come in the mail by next week, very excited. I watched videos about how to use it and then read a manual on it... Can't wait to do some double exposures and just shoot AF aperture priority in general!
02-25-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #7662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
You may wish to tape over or superglue the silly panorama slider on the back of the camera-it can be easily accidentally activated, ruining you photos. All the switch does is put a blind across the top and bottom of the shutter, masking it to a fake “panoramic” format. ****
I had a PZ1 for a while. I felt before purchase that both the "panoramic" mode, then some incomprehensible reason popular, and the "power zoom" feature were transparent gimmicks scheduled for early, well-deserved banishment to the realm of ephemeral marketing curiosities.
02-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #7663
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the one right there... I'll take the Z-1p over any other AF Pentax film camera. I've got a ZX-5 and MZ-3...and I know the MZ-S is nice, but for $300 I can get 3 PZ-1p. It's a very reliable camera and better built than the MZ/ZX generation. The only breakage they're prone to I'd the pop-up flash plastic spring clip, and the edge of the bottle near the battery door cracking or chipping.

02-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #7664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Everything SMC Pentax that I found around the house:
I like "found around the house" = yep... I have a few lenses here, there... I try to organize them on a shelve, but as I use them, I leave them elsewhere (drawers and such)... Glad to not be the only one.

PS - cool collection!
02-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #7665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Z-1p as well, I like the handling better than the MZ-S which is also pretty good. (Note I use both as manual focus cameras and the focusing screens on both leave something to be desired)

Phil.