Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 12:53 AM   #7786
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
The X-700, like the A-series Canons (except the AT-1) is handicapped in that way. Its meter is not fully cross-coupled. This is why I, and others in the know, prefer the X-570 to the X-700. The X-570 has a fully cross-coupled meter. True, you give up the P mode. But big deal. If you're manually setting the meter, you're not using P anyway.
You are of course quite right about the X570, although the X700's on/off switch is much better located. I for one though am glad of the crippled manual mode. It forced me to learn to use a separate meter and sunny 16. Skills I still use to this day, though not as much as I should I fear! My Canon EF's, otherwise beautiful machines, also have the crippled manual metering issue. No problem for me though, due to the battery issues with these cameras, and the silly AE lock positioning, I forgo the meter entirely.

04-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #7787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I'm just going from memory here, but I believe the made in China ones have it stamped on the base plate while the made in Japan ones are blank.

I think the bad capacitor issue can effect either, but the made in China ones are newer and may be less prone to the capacitor issue simply because they are newer. The previous flagship model, the XD-11 (XD-7 in Europe and XD in Japan), also had a capacitor to open the shutter electronically, but used a more robust (and more expensive) type of capacitor - a tantalum capacitor.

-
No markings on the base plate, so guess it's a Japanese build!
The manual metering mode is not as bad as my CLE. With that camera, in manual all the LEDs turn off, so you are completely flying blind. At least with the X700 it shows what is the recommended speed, and you then have to compare that to the dial. Goofy, weird, but not the end of the world!
04-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #7788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
No markings on the base plate, so guess it's a Japanese build!
The manual metering mode is not as bad as my CLE. With that camera, in manual all the LEDs turn off, so you are completely flying blind. At least with the X700 it shows what is the recommended speed, and you then have to compare that to the dial. Goofy, weird, but not the end of the world!
Yes, I double-checked. Later ones had "CHINA" or "MADE IN CHINA" (all caps, in white) stamped on the base plate. The incomplete LED information in the viewfinder is the only drawback. When the X-570 was introduced a few years later, they corrected this, but who knows why they didn't also make the change in the nearly identical X-700. The X-570 was introduced later and ended production sooner, but they never made this change in the viewfinder display of the X-700 at any time during it's extremely long production run. I believe it was the last manual focus camera still being produced by Minolta when it was finally discontinued in the 1999.

~ Jon
04-16-2021, 04:44 PM - 9 Likes   #7789
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A new arrival today - I’m not normally a point and shoot guy but could not resist this.

Attached Images

04-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #7790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I double-checked. Later ones had "CHINA" or "MADE IN CHINA" (all caps, in white) stamped on the base plate. The incomplete LED information in the viewfinder is the only drawback. When the X-570 was introduced a few years later, they corrected this, but who knows why they didn't also make the change in the nearly identical X-700. The X-570 was introduced later and ended production sooner, but they never made this change in the viewfinder display of the X-700 at any time during it's extremely long production run. I believe it was the last manual focus camera still being produced by Minolta when it was finally discontinued in the 1999.

~ Jon
Even stranger, the cheaper XGM had a fully metered manual mode I believe.
04-16-2021, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #7791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Even stranger, the cheaper XGM had a fully metered manual mode I believe.

Yes, I think that's right. I didn't mention it because I wasn't certain. Is the only difference between the XG-M and the X-570 (aka X-500) that the XG-M lacked TTL flash control (and that it only came in the ugly silver and black color scheme*)?

*silver and black color scheme only ugly on the 1980s styled cameras, but looks great on the 1970s styled XD-11 - one of the great paradoxes of camera history.
04-17-2021, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #7792
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
A new arrival today - I’m not normally a point and shoot guy but could not resist this.
Love it! I'm guessing its a display model only...

04-17-2021, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #7793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
neat item! You might need to check those light seals
04-17-2021, 05:55 AM   #7794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I think that's right. I didn't mention it because I wasn't certain. Is the only difference between the XG-M and the X-570 (aka X-500) that the XG-M lacked TTL flash control (and that it only came in the ugly silver and black color scheme*)?

*silver and black color scheme only ugly on the 1980s styled cameras, but looks great on the 1970s styled XD-11 - one of the great paradoxes of camera history.
I believe the differences are the lack of TTL flash and OTFP metering and no AE lock. Most of the 80's designed cameras were pretty damned ugly, silver or black, IMO. Bit like the cars, hairstyles and fashion! And do not get me started on pop music production values!
04-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #7795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
neat item! You might need to check those light seals
Haha yes. I think it’s very much display only.
04-17-2021, 09:34 AM - 4 Likes   #7796
Veteran Member

Just got a surprise package in the mail from a good friend who knows I'm into film photography. Included in it is this like new (plastic still on the bottom!) Minolta X700.
Already loaded with film, dry firing through all the speeds etc showed no issues.
Just shot the test roll. It works perfectly for a camera that was used a couple o times and then put in storage for years.
So glad my friend remembered to remove the batteries!

Minolta X700, 50mm f2, TriX, DF96 Monobath

04-17-2021, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #7797
Pentaxian

Just shot the test roll. It works perfectly for a camera that was used a couple o times and then put in storage for years.
So glad my friend remembered to remove the batteries!

Minolta X700, 50mm f2, TriX, DF96 Monobath

Love the glint on the tail fin. Perfect. K.
04-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #7798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I believe the differences are the lack of TTL flash and OTFP metering and no AE lock. Most of the 80's designed cameras were pretty damned ugly, silver or black, IMO. Bit like the cars, hairstyles and fashion! And do not get me started on pop music production values!
Ah, yes, the AE lock. I have been reading some love notes to the humble XG-M on other forums over the last year. I don't think I need one for my Minolta SLR collection though.

I feel a need to defend 1980's music production - much of this was before the "loudness wars" degraded recordings, and I am quite a fan of analog synth.

~ Jon
04-18-2021, 01:10 PM - 4 Likes   #7799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Mine does with a hack to lock down one of the prisms. But I've done some successful handhold people pictures with it. Mine came with a Schneider Xenar 135/f4.7. But it doesn't have an image circle large enough for the little front tilt this camera can do. So I put on a Rodenstock APO Sironar N 135/f5.6 that has a larger image circle. These smaller lenses fold with the camera and I like that feature. I also have a smaller Schneider APO 120mm and 150mm that fold with the camera too.

Tuco,
you inspired me to show off what my 4x5 folder can do

Symar 150/265 that folds nicely with it, and has plenty of coverage for movements.
I've used it both as a press type camera, hand held (with graphic roll film backs), and done some product and landscape work with it where front and back movements are helpful. Have a 90mm and 65mm for it too, they don't have much coverage for movements. Still hoping to find an affordable digital back for it, Really like the mindset you get into with large format, take your time and think through what you are doing.
04-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #7800
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Tuco,
you inspired me to show off what my 4x5 folder can do
Sweet!

I also have a 45 Wista Range Finder that has more movements than my Crown Graphic. Not large swings and tilts like a studio camera would for those really large image circle lenses though.

I had a choice between a Linhof like yours or the Crown Graphic that I have now when I found it at an estate sale. They were asking way too much for the Linhof since there was other gear I also wanted.