Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #856

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
And last (but not least) at least for now...

Voigtlander Vitessa, Ultron 50mm f/2
This is the type A3, nicest of the bunch Imo: first model to have automatic paralax correction and the last one without a fixed accesory shoe, which kind of spoils the clean lines of the camera.

Shot a first roll of color film with it yesterday, waiting for the results...
I have that very model as well and agree on why it's great (what you said, plus, no ugly selenium meter). Possibly the most beautiful camera around. Were you fortunate enough to find one that is fully working without needing repair? (At least as far as you can determine before the film comes back?) Mine had a problem with the film advance, so I could tell without getting a roll developed that there was trouble. Couldn't get all the way through a roll without shredding some of it.

These are superb travel cameras. When I'm forced to bring my work computer and documents on vacation so that eats up much of my carry-on bag space, I'll bring the Vitessa and a Super Ikonta for medium format. Foldable, small, but still reasonably fast lenses.

--Dave

10-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A real beauty - I loved mine till the advance froze
Sorry to hear that. These "A" models do eventually wear out the cocking rack teeth half a century on. I sent a 1A for repair, as they do make new racks supposedly better than original. My 2A had already been serviced when I bought it.
10-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #858
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

(has a leaf shutter that goes up to 1/1000!)
...or so they say! Most run a little slow.

Steve
10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #859
Pentaxian

Since there's been some recent Praktica p0rn ... here's a contribution on my part ...

10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #860
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A real beauty - I loved mine till the advance froze
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Sorry to hear that. These "A" models do eventually wear out the cocking rack teeth half a century on. I sent a 1A for repair, as they do make new racks supposedly better than original. My 2A had already been serviced when I bought it.
Yeah I read about the cocking rack being one of the most vulnerable parts of the Retina's, Mine's seems to be fine so far...
Nesster, did you get any warning signs before the advance froze or was it sudden?

Mine did need a bit of cleaning on the rangefinder as well as a rangefinder adjustment (the image was out vertically).

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
I have that very model as well and agree on why it's great (what you said, plus, no ugly selenium meter). Possibly the most beautiful camera around. Were you fortunate enough to find one that is fully working without needing repair? (At least as far as you can determine before the film comes back?) Mine had a problem with the film advance, so I could tell without getting a roll developed that there was trouble. Couldn't get all the way through a roll without shredding some of it.

These are superb travel cameras. When I'm forced to bring my work computer and documents on vacation so that eats up much of my carry-on bag space, I'll bring the Vitessa and a Super Ikonta for medium format. Foldable, small, but still reasonably fast lenses.

--Dave
Looks like I have been lucky, I got the Vitessa in an "as is" camera lot on ebay for 50 Euro's shipped.
(The lot also contained a very nice Komine built close focussing Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 M42 lens and some other stuff I will be selling on so probably I will have the Vitessa and the Vivitar for free in the end

The Vitessa seems to work just fine, just have to wait for the negatives to confirm...

In fact I was a bit nervous shooting the first roll because the advance and cocking with the plunger felts so easy and smooth I was not really sure it was actually transporting the film. I felt relieved when I finished the film and felt the resistance when rewinding.

Also waiting for the first test roll from the Yashica Lynx 14e, I'm curious how that huge 7 element 45mm performs...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or so they say! Most run a little slow.

Steve
At 61 years old they deserve running a little slower :P
10-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #861
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At 61 years old they deserve running a little slower :P
They ran slow new. Ditto for the Lynx 1000

Also (I am in a picky mood), the Lynx 5000 was made in the mid-1960s and the cameras are not yet 50 years old.

Steve

(Owns a bunch of Lynx bodies...a couple actually work!)
10-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #862
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I read about the cocking rack being one of the most vulnerable parts of the Retina's, Mine's seems to be fine so far...
Nesster, did you get any warning signs before the advance froze or was it sudden?

Mine did need a bit of cleaning on the rangefinder as well as a rangefinder adjustment (the image was out vertically).

No warning at all. I had just started a roll, was in Manhattan, and the second frame in, it just quit midway through the stroke.
For documentation purposes, here's the final pic

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Yeah, you guys are lucky, seems the best Retina guy in the world is in Australia...

10-30-2013, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #863

Wow, the camera's actual "last breath". The dark figure in the foreground could be seen as death while the woman in white, in the distance, could be seen as the angel awaiting your Retinas soul....

Over-dramatic?
10-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #864
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Wow, the camera's actual "last breath". The dark figure in the foreground could be seen as death while the woman in white, in the distance, could be seen as the angel awaiting your Retinas soul....
Can I have some of what you're on, please?
10-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #865

I'm on 3 hours of sleep due to studying for exams. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
10-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #866
Veteran Member

Good luck with your exams!
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #867
Veteran Member

This setup arrived in my mail yesterday.
Asahi Pentax SPII with a S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
Both in excellent condition.
Not a bad way to spend $40 me thinks

10-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Good deal there, even just for the lens. I have four good SPFs but only one SP11, which is in good, but not pristeen condition.
10-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #869
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Yes, excellent deal. The lens is worth about twice that by itself.

Steve
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, excellent deal. The lens is worth about twice that by itself.

Steve
Yep, congratz ... there's no way here in France (or Europe IMO) that you can find a Tak 1.4 for less than $100 ...

Check this recent eBay sale out ( I bidded why it was reasonably priced) - over 130€ final price !!! - Pentax Asahi Super Takumar 50mm F1 4 Fast Standard Lens M42 | eBay

Again, congratz, enjoy and green with envy ... J