Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #1261
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I agree, that would be génial as it would avoid the effect of SR-induced motion blur because I forget setting the focal length when changing from 16mm to 125mm!
i couldn't agree more !

01-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #1262
Pentaxian

A Ricoh from each decade using three different mounts. Ricoh Singlex from 1962 with a modified Nikon mount, Ricoh TLS401 from 1970 with an M42 mount and the 1982 Ricoh XR7 with a K mount. You can easily guess the year of each by their weight too. The Singlex weighs 825g, the TLS401 at 788g and the XR7 at 472g. The unique feature of the TLS401 is the dual viewfinder. I don't know of any other camera with this configuration do you? The knob on the side of the prism moves a mirror so you can view eye-level (position 1) and waist-level (position 2). I have been curious about the TLS401 since I first found out about this feature but I have always heard how dark it is . . . it isn't on this one. Also, unlike other waist-level viewfinders, the view through this one is corrected laterally.

01-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #1263
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
A Ricoh from each decade using three different mounts. Ricoh Singlex from 1962 with a modified Nikon mount, Ricoh TLS401 from 1970 with an M42 mount and the 1982 Ricoh XR7 with a K mount. You can easily guess the year of each by their weight too. The Singlex weighs 825g, the TLS401 at 788g and the XR7 at 472g. The unique feature of the TLS401 is the dual viewfinder. I don't know of any other camera with this configuration do you? The knob on the side of the prism moves a mirror so you can view eye-level (position 1) and waist-level (position 2). I have been curious about the TLS401 since I first found out about this feature but I have always heard how dark it is . . . it isn't on this one. Also, unlike other waist-level viewfinders, the view through this one is corrected laterally.
Your TLS 401 looks to be in great condition. I too remember when they were available new, but I don't know that I have ever seen one "in the field". Is yours fully operational?

I find it interesting that your XR7 has a Rikenon P 50/1.7. The P series lenses debuted with the XR-P program exposure body in 1984 some two years after the XR7. The original normal lens in 1982 would have been an XR Rikenon 50mm in either of f/1.4, f/1.7, or f/2 maximum aperture. That being said, I have seen other photos of XR7 bodies with Rikenon P lenses attached and currently one that came that way. All I can figure is that the XR7 product lifespan overlapped the introduction of the P series lenses.

I bought my original XR7 new in Fall of 1982 and it was a faithful and durable tool for many years until an unhappy accident involving its aperture coupling and a defective Russian K-mount lens mangled its innards. It was a Consumer Reports Best Buy at the time and was rated higher than the Pentax ME Super. Ricoh claimed at the time that it was the lightest 35mm SLR on the market. I liked mine so much that I bought a replacement for my damaged original and recently acquired yet a third copy courtesy of forum member Nick Siebers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2014 at 11:40 PM.
01-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #1264
Site Supporter

A Ricoh from each decade using three different mounts. ... Also, unlike other waist-level viewfinders, the view through this one is corrected laterally.
Thanks Les ... I never really realized the three mounts for Ricoh ... or rather "hociR" ... never followed them. But, the split VF is pretty cool ... learn something everyday ! Merci encore, J

01-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #1265
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks Les ... I never really realized the three mounts for Ricoh ... or rather "hociR" ... never followed them. But, the split VF is pretty cool ... learn something everyday ! Merci encore, J
Four mounts! The Ricoh P mount (K-mount + Ricoh pin) was the last.

Steve
01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #1266
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Four mounts! The Ricoh P mount (K-mount + Ricoh pin) was the last.

Steve
Yeah ... you're right yet again ... didn't think about that "infamous" pin ... J
01-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #1267
Site Supporter

Cheap rangefinder p000rn ...

From the UK eBay site of British Heart Foundation last week ... could not resist, too cheap, too much fun ... (x-post)

01-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #1268
Site Supporter

Yeah ... you're right yet again ... didn't think about that "infamous" pin ... J
...except that I was only partially right! There is a FIFTH mount in the Ricoh lineage! In the early 1970s, the Ricoh Auto TLS EE supported open-aperture metering and shutter-priority automation when paired with Rikenon EE lenses. It is my understanding that the implementation was pretty rough and that sales were very poor as a result.

Steve

01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #1269
Site Supporter

...except that I was only partially right! There is a FIFTH mount in the Ricoh lineage! In the early 1970s, the Ricoh Auto TLS EE supported open-aperture metering and shutter-priority automation when paired with Rikenon EE lenses. It is my understanding that the implementation was pretty rough and that sales were very poor as a result.

Steve
Now I am really lost ... ... so, time for another glass of wine J
01-23-2014, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #1270
Pentaxian

Here's a shot of my Franka Solida IIIe, through which I just ran my first roll of film, which came out well.

01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #1271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here's a shot of my Franka Solida IIIe, through which I just ran my first roll of film, which came out well.

Gorgeous camera.
01-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #1272
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Nice, I don't have this model, but it seems to have the same Radionar lens as my Franka Rolfix 6x9. At medium apertures this triplet is very sharp.
01-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #1273
Pentaxian

Your TLS 401 looks to be in great condition. I too remember when they were available new, but I don't know that I have ever seen one "in the field". Is yours fully operational?

I find it interesting that your XR7 has a Rikenon P 50/1.7. The P series lenses debuted with the XR-P program exposure body in 1984 some two years after the XR7. The original normal lens in 1982 would have been an XR Rikenon 50mm in either of f/1.4, f/1.7, or f/2 maximum aperture. That being said, I have seen other photos of XR7 bodies with Rikenon P lenses attached and currently one that came that way. All I can figure is that the XR7 product lifespan overlapped the introduction of the P series lenses.

I bought my original XR7 new in Fall of 1982 and it was a faithful and durable tool for many years until an unhappy accident involving its aperture coupling and a defective Russian K-mount lens mangled its innards. It was a Consumer Reports Best Buy at the time and was rated higher than the Pentax ME Super. Ricoh claimed at the time that it was the lightest 35mm SLR on the market. I liked mine so much that I bought a replacement for my damaged original and recently acquired yet a third copy courtesy of forum member Nick Siebers.

Steve
The TLS401 and the lens that it came with are in excellent shape and the viewfinder is clean and clear. Mechanically everything functions as it should but I haven't tried a battery in it yet. I expect to put a test roll into it soon.

The XR7 is also fully functional, accurate and also in excellent cosmetic shape and I have have run a few rolls through it since I got it. Bright finder, traditional controls and light as you say - especially compared to it's seniors.
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #1274
Pentaxian

It is a curiosity to me and due to it's condition and price, I couldn't pass up on an opportunity in exploring it as part of my manual camera immersion experience.
01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #1275
Site Supporter

The TLS401 and the lens that it came with are in excellent shape
The Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 is a favorite of mine.

Steve