Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #1441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Bronica S2, Ektar 100, Nikkor 75/2.8 and 50/3.5!! (One picture by each.)

I hadn't thought of using two different lenses for a double exposure, of course there's no reason why not. I might have to try that

02-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #1442
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've previously researched the Bronicas a lot online, and had not heard of Caprod, Ltd. A little Googling seems to indicate they were an importer/distributor for Bronica and at some points Mamiya/Osawa, and maybe keeper of their trademarks in USA. "Caprod" could have been coined from "Camera products" perhaps? (Like "Leica" was from "Leitz camera").

Interesting too the text in the advert about "The 'Filminder' back remembers whether or not the film has been advanced..." That would seem to be a claim that it won't double-expose amidst back-swapping. With my S2 at least, I somehow managed to defeat that unintentionally and get an unwanted double exposure. I think I removed Back 1 after an exposure but without winding on; then mounted Back 2 with a new roll in it, wound and shot several exposures, then with it wound (so, camera's shutter cocked), I must have removed Back 2 and remounted Back 1. Then evidently I fired an exposure on Back 1, atop the last exposure I had made before going to Back 2. Seems odd that if they had a mechanism to prevent this on the original Bronica, it would have been omitted in the S2. Maybe I did a sequence so daft they couldn't have planned for it...

--Dave

Bronica S2, Ektar 100, Nikkor 75/2.8 and 50/3.5!! (One picture by each.)

I've been wondering whether the camera/back had some way of preventing this from occurring when swapping backs.
I guess not...
02-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #1443

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Nice result anyway!
Thank you! The disturbing thing is that I seem to have got matching non-level horizons on both of these overlapping pictures: About 1 or 2 degress downhill to the right in both cases! Awful technique on my part, but maybe due to my astigmatism (on a different axis in each eye; corrected, but I suspect not perfectly). As I recall, I think I did both these shots on a tripod, but it was my tripod that hasn't got a spirit level. (My other tripod that does have one is a bit too light for the Bronica.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I hadn't thought of using two different lenses for a double exposure, of course there's no reason why not. I might have to try that
Obviously I didn't think of it either! $h!t happens!

--Dave
02-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #1444
Veteran Member

Thank you! The disturbing thing is that I seem to have got matching non-level horizons on both of these overlapping pictures: About 1 or 2 degress downhill to the right in both cases! Awful technique on my part, but maybe due to my astigmatism (on a different axis in each eye; corrected, but I suspect not perfectly). As I recall, I think I did both these shots on a tripod, but it was my tripod that hasn't got a spirit level. (My other tripod that does have one is a bit too light for the Bronica.)

Obviously I didn't think of it either! $h!t happens!

--Dave
It could be, too, that maybe the Bronnie's back doesn't line up quite right sometimes? I had a DSLR that had the sensor slightly askew. I would spend huge effort making sure it was level and still get a crooked shot..drove me nuts!

02-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #1445
Veteran Member

--Dave
On my S2, the frames get progressively more skewed with each shot.
03-01-2014, 06:32 AM - 4 Likes   #1446
Pentaxian

I year ago I bought a Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/2 that I have had some fun with, althougth it is taxing to guesstimate the distance, measure the exposure and set the shutter speed and the aperture, remember to advance the film and cock the shutter - not great for action. But it has its plus points.

Recently I found an Ikonta 523/16 taking 6x6 cm images for sale very cheap, so I had to have it:

The shutter was sluggish and sticky, but I found instructions on the Web on how to access the shutter mechanism and clean it with lighter fluid (not very difficult). I had to do it twice, but now the shutter is nice and snappy, and the camera is ready for its first outing. Sadly, the diameter of the lens is 32mm on the Nettar and 35.5mm on the Ikonta, so I have to find another set of yellow filter and lens shade.

Here are the old Nettar and the new Ikonta together. Nice looking couple, I think. And a Gossen Lunasix light meter is a handy, in fact necessary accessory.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 07:05 AM ----------

A year ago I bought a nice 645 set on a local auction site: Today's haul.

I have since sold the 645 but kept the lenses and ref converter, as I had a 645N already. Yesterday I bought this addition:

Mint 645N II with 120 film back, FA 75mm F2.8 and FA 45mm F2.8 with pouch, large eyepiece, original strap attachements and all necessary lens and camera caps.

So now I have this 645 setup:

Spring is just around the corner, and me and my 645s are going for a walk
03-01-2014, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #1447

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
It could be, too, that maybe the Bronnie's back doesn't line up quite right sometimes? I had a DSLR that had the sensor slightly askew. I would spend huge effort making sure it was level and still get a crooked shot..drove me nuts!
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
On my S2, the frames get progressively more skewed with each shot.
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never put two and two together here. Colton, I've noticed my frames as well get progressively more skewed throughout a roll on the S2. But I totally never connected that to my skewed horizons. However, I'm not totally sure that would cause skewed horizons. I should think that the back is not turned one-half degree (or whatever) WRT the camera, but rather the film is rolling one-half degree off of straight vertically through the back, so an exposure is getting framed slightly parallelogram-ly (vs. square) by the film gate. But I'm really not sure. Then in post, there's also the question of is the negative perfectly straight in the scanner's negative holder, and is the negative holder perfectly straight on the scanner glass. Lots of angularity noise in this process. In any case: I'd love to blame the film back for this, but I have an ability to make pictures that are one, two, even four degrees off horizontal (as measured by what rotation I have to apply in post to get the horizon back to horizontal) with any camera, film or digital, 35 mm or medium format. So the problem is mostly me.

--Dave

03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #1448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
... Spring is just around the corner, and me and my 645s are going for a walk
"Liked" the 645 gear, very nice ... and have a nice walk !!! J
03-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #1449
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't afford any MF gear* so I went the other way:

Banana Minolta XD for size comparison

*I do have an old Zeiss Ikon Nettar 512/2 (105/4.5) lying around somewhere...
03-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #1450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Minolta XD for size comparison
Your black XD is a thing of beauty.
Glenn
03-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #1451
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Glenn
Agreed ... I have been hunting for one, but with no success to speak of ... maybe someday soon, J
03-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #1452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Glenn
You'll get no argument from me, there. It could use a more appropriate lens, though:

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Agreed ... I have been hunting for one, but with no success to speak of ... maybe someday soon, J
I've got another body lying around here (XD7, the european model, in black). The focusing screen is scratched to death* and the electronic shutter speeds only work sporadically** but it's in great condition otherwise (better than my XD).

regards
Jan

*It's not "user replaceable" but it can be replaced, one just needs another screen from a XD5 or XD7.
**The mechanical speeds work fine, the meter works fine. The electronic speeds stop working when the camera isn't used for a while and usually start working again after firing the shutter with the mechanical speeds repeatedly (20-50 times, usually). I'd guess the shutter contacts are /dirty/corroded
03-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #1453

WOW! This is quite a lesson in rangefinder vs. SLR. Both of these are 1.8/35 lenses, but the Minolta one looks about five times as large in total volume (maybe four times the length, and a slightly greater diameter). I suppose, to be fair, this MC W-Rokkor is not the newest technology and there are somewhat smaller SLR 1.8/35 lenses. Still, they could never be as small as the RF lenses. Makes me wonder why I am wanting exactly that Rokkor...

--Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
I couldn't afford any MF gear* so I went the other way:

Banana Minolta XD for size comparison

*I do have an old Zeiss Ikon Nettar 512/2 (105/4.5) lying around somewhere...
03-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #1454
Veteran Member

I just sold my Texas Leica

Ironically, the sale got me out of my photo doldrums as I went out with two rolls of TMAX 100
03-02-2014, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #1455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X-posted from one of the games. My 3 current kits (MX was with the gf, so tht's the backup ME Super)