Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, it ain't a Pentax, that is for sure! Leica III? No. The slow shutter speeds are wrong. I vote for Canon III.
One more hint:
Name:  Clue.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  294.4 KB

04-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #302
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
One more hint:
Attachment 168623
Canon IVSB (or something very close)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.
04-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
canon ivsb (or something very close)

steve
bingo!
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Awesome! Which are your favorites?
That's like asking which one of your children is your favourite.
Glenn

04-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #305
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

bingo!
I handled one a few years back...very nicely made and very, very smooth in operation, but with a viewfinder every bit as squinty as the one on my FED-2

Steve
04-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #306

Here's one I got back after two years with a camera tech. Can anyone figure out the model?
Attachment 168604
Canon 50/1.4? (Looks big on the camera, but I'm thinking not the 1.2 as that would look enormous on a IV SB.) Just to be clear, are you saying the camera was with the tech for two years?! If so, care to name names? I think that would be someone that I might like to avoid if the turnaround time is like that...unless there was a REALLY good reason.
--Dave
04-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #307
Veteran Member

I just bought this on eBay with a Sigma lens for £42. The model designation is a bit obscured but it's a MZ-3, a sort of minor upgrade to the MZ-5N, and quite rare, I understand. The seller kindly threw in two cassettes of Kodak Gold 200 and two of Kodak 400 colour negative film. It's years since I last used film, but I'm really looking forward to trying this camera out. My last film camera was an MZ-5, so I know what it can do. I'd love it if Pentax were to make a DSLR that resembled it, full-frame or otherwise. It's a real retro-king!

Attached Images

04-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Canon 50/1.4? (Looks big on the camera, but I'm thinking not the 1.2 as that would look enormous on a IV SB.) Just to be clear, are you saying the camera was with the tech for two years?! If so, care to name names? I think that would be someone that I might like to avoid if the turnaround time is like that...unless there was a REALLY good reason.
--Dave
Yes - a Canon 50/1.4. The camera was given to me with a Zunow 50/1.1 (1st model) with a broken trim ring and jammed focus (likely by a set-screw from the trim ring), that required a complete tear-down, re-laquering of the element edges, etc. The Zunow is a very rare lens, and this was the only Leica tech I'd trust with such a restoration. I knew this would disrupt his normal income stream, so told him to fit it in when he had the time. The Zunow is still in process - having the new trim ring plated. All of the work he has done is excellent.
04-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #309
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I just bought this on eBay with a Sigma lens for £42. The model designation is a bit obscured but it's a MZ-3, a sort of minor upgrade to the MZ-5N, and quite rare, I understand. The seller kindly threw in two cassettes of Kodak Gold 200 and two of Kodak 400 colour negative film . . . .
That seems like good value.

Excellent 'user name' for a fella from Gloucester, too
04-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
Excellent 'user name' for a fella from Gloucester, too
But, as you've probably guessed, I'm "in" Gloucester but not "from" there.
04-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA50 f1.4 Exposed

Here is a different take to spice up this thread...

(Snapshot using my iPod Touch - sorry for the low quality, but it tells the story.)

...an undressed FA50 f1.4! If this isn't gear p0rn at its WORST, I don't know what is!

This poor thing got knocked on its front and cockeyed the focus helicoid so it would not focus properly. This belongs to my daughter, and my son-in-law bumped it, so she came crying to me, her dad, to fix it. Well, I tried! Sure, I got it disassembled, and the focus helicoid now works properly, but I got carried away and TOTALLY stripped the thing down - MISTAKE! I can't get the aperture blades to fully open to f1.4, so off to Eric it went this morning (not in this condition, but in re-assembled condition). It's worth having Eric perform his magic on it though since it is such a nice lens. My daughter is a semi-pro photographer and uses this lens extensively in her home studio for portraiture.

Lesson learned - stay away from FA series lens repair, and stick to old manual lenses!

-Joe-
04-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
This belongs to my daughter, and my son-in-law bumped it, so she came crying to me, her dad, to fix it. Well, I tried! Sure, I got it disassembled, and the focus helicoid now works properly, but I got carried away and TOTALLY stripped the thing down - MISTAKE! I can't get the aperture blades to fully open to f1.4, so off to Eric it went this morning (not in this condition, but in re-assembled condition). It's worth having Eric perform his magic on it though since it is such a nice lens. My daughter is a semi-pro photographer and uses this lens extensively in her home studio for portraiture.
-Joe-
You're a good Dad.
04-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You're a good Dad.
Thanks - I try (but sometimes fail...).
04-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Thanks - I try (but sometimes fail...).
That's part of the gig. Especially with girls.
04-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #315
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's part of the gig. Especially with girls.
Not just me then, my two girls work out at more than double the expense and grief at times.