Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'll second that! Every FSU brown leather strap I have ever had has snapped. Very frustrating. K.
I purposely made a point of getting a Zorki 4 with strap lugs so that I didn't have to deal with the leather case

11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Nice Zorki, looks in gorgeous condition!

I used to enjoy shooting with my FED 3 until the shutter broke but I always thought the Zorki 4 was a nicer looking camera.

Retina and Retinette

Let me see, apart from the 11C and the Retinette 1A there is a 1b and a 2A. Are they all working? I have spent a fortune in getting most of mine (16 in number) overhauled. All are working. Four are duplicates but the remainder are all different versions of the Retina / Retinette family. My first camera was the Retinette 1A, with the smaller f3.5 lens, and took the pictures I have shown on the Forum.
11-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm still keeping my eye out for a Retina II with knob wind.
You mean the early version I assume. The later 11a did away with having to remember to cock the shutter after winding on, but also had a weakness in the cocking rack. Of all the Retinas, the one I like best is the 1B (big 'B'). It has a big view finder and a light meter that works. If you have a 111C (big C) with operating light meter and range finder, that would be even better.
11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #934
Veteran Member

I agree that the Zorki 4 is better looking than the FED 3, though I like the utilitarian appearance of the FED. The fit and finish of the Zorki are much better as well.

Nice Kodak collection. The Retinas sure are beautiful. Maybe I should do a shot of my IIIc next to my Zorki
I'm still keeping my eye out for a Retina II with knob wind.
I would still like to get my hands on a IIIc or C

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Let me see, apart from the 11C and the Retinette 1A there is a 1b and a 2A. Are they all working? I have spent a fortune in getting most of mine (16 in number) overhauled. All are working. Four are duplicates but the remainder are all different versions of the Retina / Retinette family. My first camera was the Retinette 1A, with the smaller f3.5 lens, and took the pictures I have shown on the Forum.
I'm not up to 16 yet, but these four all seem to be working, the IIa needed some adjusment on the rangefinder which I could do myself. I have only shot film with the IIa so far though. The IIc and the 1A I only received yesterday.

Do you have any of the 35 or 80mm lenses, and if so how good are they?

11-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Do you have any of the 35 or 80mm lenses, and if so how good are they?
No, I have stayed away from these. In the days when rangefinders ruled, these lenses were essentially all one had. They were large and awkward, and needed catering to different range and viewfinder areas. In addition they were not much of a difference. Since I use my old cameras, this just gets in the way for little return. Still, if one just wants them for a collecting value, that is another matter.
11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #936
Veteran Member

You mean the early version I assume. The later 11a did away with having to remember to cock the shutter after winding on, but also had a weakness in the cocking rack. Of all the Retinas, the one I like best is the 1B (big 'B'). It has a big view finder and a light meter that works. If you have a 111C (big C) with operating light meter and range finder, that would be even better.
I mean the Type 011 or Type 014 Retina II. The lever wind models all suffer from the shutter cocking rack inevitably failing (from what I've read), and so I like the idea of having a knob wind model. I though the knob wind models cock the shutter while winding via the film transport?
I have a IIIc with a working meter and a Rodenstock lens and it is a superb camera. I really like the finder on it.
Here's a photo of it which I've posted before.
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[URL="[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/9722913324/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/9722913324/]Retina 11a from early fifties.[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr"][URL]
I mean the Type 011 or Type 014 Retina II. The lever wind models all suffer from the shutter cocking rack inevitably failing (from what I've read), and so I like the idea of having a knob wind model. I though the knob wind models cock the shutter while winding via the film transport?
I have a IIIc with a working meter and a Rodenstock lens and it is a superb camera. I really like the finder on it.
Here's a photo of it which I've posted before.
Yes I have 111c as well, but it's view finder doesn't compare with the 1B.
Compare a 11a with a Retinette 1B which like the Retina 1B also has a bright finder.
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/10116670816/]Retinette 1958 Compur-Rapid[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

"]
rl]
"]

The knob winder requires you cock the shutter separately. I had both my 1a abd 11 a service for the racks.

Last edited by arnold; 11-14-2013 at 10:58 PM.
11-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #938
Veteran Member

No, I have stayed away from these. In the days when rangefinders ruled, these lenses were essentially all one had. They were large and awkward, and needed catering to different range and viewfinder areas. In addition they were not much of a difference. Since I use my old cameras, this just gets in the way for little return. Still, if one just wants them for a collecting value, that is another matter.
Thanks for the info. I'm not really a collector. If I don't enjoy using a camera to shoot once in a while I tend to sell them on.

Bronica SQ-A, Non Metered Prism, Waist Level Finder, 6x6 120 Back, 645 120 Back, S-18 Exstension Tube, Zenzanon S 50/3.5, Zenzanon S 80/2.8, Zenzanon PS 150/4, Zenzanon S 200/4.5, Lens Hoods for the 80mm, 150mm, and 200mm.

11-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #939
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree that the Zorki 4 is better looking than the FED 3
Almost anything is better looking than a FED 3 Edit: I was confused...The FED 3 is a nice looking camera. I was thinking of the late version FED 4 and FED 5s. End edit

The Butkus site has the English version of the Zorki 4 manual (http://www.cameramanuals.org/russian_pdf/zorki_4.pdf).

In regard to the ring under the shutter speed dial. It is used for setting the flash sync. My Zorki-4K just has X and M. Yours has a numeric scale. I believe the numbers represent the lead time for triggering a bulb-type flash to allow for shutter open at flash peak. This is in the manual, but is not very clear.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.
11-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #940
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DonThomaso Quote
I did a portrait shoot with a friend a few weeks back, 60's theme so what better accessory than a Spotmatic?
Gorgeous! I saw this posted elsewhere on the Web (sorry, I don't remember where) and wondered if the photographer was a forum member.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2013 at 06:22 PM.
11-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #941
Pentaxian

Really nice gear arnold, swift & agnostic ... really fun to look at ... merci, J
11-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #942
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Almost anything is better looking than a FED 3

The Butkus site has the English version of the Zorki 4 manual (http://www.cameramanuals.org/russian_pdf/zorki_4.pdf).

In regard to the ring under the shutter speed dial. It is used for setting the flash sync. My Zorki-4K just has X and M. Yours has a numeric scale. I believe the numbers represent the lead time for triggering a bulb-type flash to allow for shutter open at flash peak. This is in the manual, but is not very clear.

Steve
Easy there, I like the looks of the FED 3 I like it better than the FED 2 actually.

I figured out the dial was for. Some kind folks over at RFF explained it. Thanks though.
11-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #943
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Easy there, I like the looks of the FED 3 I like it better than the FED 2 actually.

Sorry...you are right, the FED 3 is not ugly. I had it confused with the second version FED 4 and all versions of the FED 5 which are an acquired taste in my opinion.

Steve
11-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #944
Pentaxian

A humble Praktica/Tessar submission ... J

11-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A humble Praktica/Tessar submission ... J
Very much like my Super TL3. I don't know what the difference is. I had the same lens you have, but the blades were sticking. My attempt to open and clean, led me to tip the lens. To my surprise the aperture blades fell out. I couldn't figure how to reverse that problem, so a very nice lens sits in pieces in a plastic bag. I'm not short on M42 lenses, but I am sorry to lose this one as it is the first of this type for me.