Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #946
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Very much like my Super TL3. I don't know what the difference is. I had the same lens you have, but the blades were sticking. My attempt to open and clean, led me to tip the lens. To my surprise the aperture blades fell out. I couldn't figure how to reverse that problem, so a very nice lens sits in pieces in a plastic bag. I'm not short on M42 lenses, but I am sorry to lose this one as it is the first of this type for me.
Bonjour arnold,

I do not know and I do not think that there's a lot of difference ... maybe other than my 5 has real leather casing instead of plastic, etc. My Tessar was a 3€ swap meet purchase that I had to take apart to fix stuck/oily blades ... could not save the "auto" mechanism, thus it's full manual now.

Here's a link that I used to fix the Tessar : Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (M42 mount) Servicing

PS - I just bought this body out of the UK without battery ... do you know what it takes? I bought a VARTA "V625U" based on a store recommendation, but it did not work, or else the meter is dead ... Thanks, J

11-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #947

Photos: Albums
Here is my fastest lens. Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm/1.5.

11-16-2013, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #948
Pentaxian

....my most handsome lens, on my most handsome camera, hanging from a bannister. Taken by the wonderful SMC Pentax 85/1.8..it just smooooth's out the background!

11-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #949
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A humble Praktica/Tessar submission ... J
Beware the rotten strap!

Steve

11-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #950
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paddan Quote
Here is my fastest lens. Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm/1.5.
What mount is that?

Steve
11-16-2013, 02:04 PM - 3 Likes   #951
Pentaxian

Eye exam . . .

This is from the LX since it's timer expired ahead of the XK. Shot facing a mirror. Kodak TMAX100 in XTOL.
11-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bonjour arnold,

I do not know and I do not think that there's a lot of difference ... maybe other than my 5 has real leather casing instead of plastic, etc. My Tessar was a 3€ swap meet purchase that I had to take apart to fix stuck/oily blades ... could not save the "auto" mechanism, thus it's full manual now.

Here's a link that I used to fix the Tessar : Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (M42 mount) Servicing

PS - I just bought this body out of the UK without battery ... do you know what it takes? I bought a VARTA "V625U" based on a store recommendation, but it did not work, or else the meter is dead ... Thanks, J
Thank you for the link to the lens repair, I may be able to get it together with that. My camera came with a Varta 625PX, and the meter is active. Not sure if this is a mercury 1.3v or a 1.5v alkaline'

11-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #953
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Eye exam . . .

This is from the LX since it's timer expired ahead of the XK. Shot facing a mirror. Kodak TMAX100 in XTOL.
So, it was a race ? Great shot and glad that the Pentax "won"; even though I'm an old Minolta fan, too ... Salut, J
11-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #954
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Russian
Speaking of the manual...do you know what the numbered dial/ring is that surrounds the base of the shutter dial?
I may be corrected, but from memory it is to adjust the timing for flash usage.

It allows the use of both electronic flashes, and older bulb flashes.

I think there's an english manual for them on Butkus.org

edit:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/zorki/zorki.htm
11-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #955

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What mount is that?

Steve
Exakta mount.
11-17-2013, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #956
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this photo before.

11-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #957
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bonjour arnold,

Just to thank you for the link to reassemble this Tessar. The instructions can always be clearer, but after a full day and a half (at least 12 hours) of frustrating attempts - the leaves of the aperture kept flying off - I got it all together from a complete disassembly. Not before having to start all over several times because some part wasn't put on correctly. Just when I thought it all done, I realized the focus was out, and that depends where you start the thread. Each attempt meant a half disassemble to try a different start position on the focus threads. By luck I finally hit the right spot. I couldn't quite believe I had finally put this lens back together, and now it was working. Without the instructions you linked to, I would never have tried this, but now I have a feeling of accomplishment.
11-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #958
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this photo before.
Daughter's using one of these + a MX, and loving them both, very impressed with the metering.
11-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #959
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Just to thank you for the link to reassemble this Tessar. ... Without the instructions you linked to, I would never have tried this, but now I have a feeling of accomplishment.
Great, glad you got it back together ... a lens worth the effort and it took me a few times to get it just right, too. J

PS - I had a flame war email session with the UK seller of the Praktica MTL 5 and she said that she would fully refund me, postage and all ... she still swears that the meter works, but won't tell the exact battery that she used nor drop me a good used battery in the mail from "her enormous stock" of batteries that she keeps on hand ... yeah, right, whatever; just refund me and I will drop the PayPal dispute ... anyway that was Saturday's fun and still haven't seen a refund J
11-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great, glad you got it back together ... a lens worth the effort and it took me a few times to get it just right, too. J

PS - I had a flame war email session with the UK seller of the Praktica MTL 5 and she said that she would fully refund me, postage and all ... she still swears that the meter works, but won't tell the exact battery that she used nor drop me a good used battery in the mail from "her enormous stock" of batteries that she keeps on hand ... yeah, right, whatever; just refund me and I will drop the PayPal dispute ... anyway that was Saturday's fun and still haven't seen a refund J
As I mentioned, it is the larger 625PX battery it uses. It came with mine, and may be as old as the camera. Since the camera was hardly used, it may well be the original mercury battery. It still works. Try a 1.5v A76 equivalent just to see if the lightmeter responds. You may need to pack it to fit.