Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #1066
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The strap is an extremely comfortable, stylish, well made, American made Op/Tech USA strap, the Op/Tech Super Pro strap:

OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap
Thanks for the tip. I just made my own strap from the fittings on the original Pentax strap. But I'd rather have one of those in the link.

12-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #1067
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
a Russian 39mm 'Leica Screw'
That would be a 39mm Zenit Screw adapter. The early Zenit SLRs had the same registration distance as the later M42 cameras, but with a 39mm diameter mount. The lens may mount to a LTM camera, but focus would be way wrong. No rangefinder either.

Steve
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #1068
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks for the tip. I just made my own strap from the fittings on the original Pentax strap. But I'd rather have one of those in the link.
I didn't have an original set of the fittings...so I decided rather than spend the extra money for the PENTAX fittings, then put a strap on it, I'd just go for the OP/TECH.
12-12-2013, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #1069

Photos: Albums
Picked up a very nice set of telephoto and close up lenses to go with this very nice Diacord L. Can't wait to shoot it!
K100DS f4.0 1/90 ISO400

12-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #1070

My very small collection of meters...the Gossen I got with a Spotmatic with a dead meter and it's my 'main'. I saw my camera 'pusher' the other day and picked out the other two from his Tub O' Meters to play with simply because...

The Ikonphot meters spot on, the Weston II which I picked specifically because it was their first post-war design I do believe and it uses 'Weston' not ASA. I just like to tinker with cool, funky old stuff!

No fair making fun of my neon green lanyards; the loops on those meters are flat, won't fit round shoelaces which of course come in an eye-dizzying variation of colors. Flat shoelaces were limited to hot pink or...neon. LOL
12-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #1071

By the way, I used the Ikonphot to meter that photo, K100DS f5.6 1/45 ISO400. The Weston I'm still exploring.....(which is why the film speed window is slewed around)
12-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #1072
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
By the way, I used the Ikonphot to meter that photo, K100DS f5.6 1/45 ISO400. The Weston I'm still exploring.....(which is why the film speed window is slewed around)
So much for the claim that selenium meters go bad with age. Have fun with the Weston. It is a common misconception that the Weston meters have something to do with Edward Weston the photographer. He was known to use them, but truth be told, the company that made them was named after another (unrelated?) fellow by the same name whose son invented the Weston meter.

Steve

12-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #1073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So much for the claim that selenium meters go bad with age. Have fun with the Weston. It is a common misconception that the Weston meters have something to do with Edward Weston the photographer. He was known to use them, but truth be told, the company that made them was named after another (unrelated?) fellow by the same name whose son invented the Weston meter.
It seems that if they have been stored covering the meter, thye last a long time. I have several on my rangefinders. Their only limitation seems to be in reading very low light levels, although I have not put that to the test.
12-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #1074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This arrived today, and is in pristine condition. Bought from Dresden, and I suspect it was well looked after by an East German, as they were not inclined to waste. This camera is well made and unbelievably solid. It seems "industrial" rather than consumer. It has given me a new respect for stuff from the communist block, although quality control can be hit and miss. This is a heavy and clunky beast. No return mirror, no light meter, strange speed dial, but it fascinates me with it's quality. I am loading Fuji 400 into it just for the experience.
12-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #1075
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This arrived today, and is in pristine condition. Bought from Dresden, ...
"Congratz" there ... looks great and I love the "industrial look" of this Praktika's GDR gear. Let us know how the roll comes out ... Salut, J
12-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #1076

Steve
Some do...Like any mechanical device, parts wear out, etc. The Weston stories (The photographer and the meter) are also very interesting! The Weston is a classic which is its appeal for me1
12-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #1077
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The strap is an extremely comfortable, stylish, well made, American made Op/Tech USA strap, the Op/Tech Super Pro strap:

OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap

Designed to support Medium-format cameras with body lugs, I ordered it with the "model B" strap attatchments, which fit Pentax 6x7, Hassy and others. $27.00 plus shipping very well spent. It seemed to make more sense than paying even more for the not-as-comfortable Genuine Pentax strap from KEH or eBay.
I have the same strap on my 645 and am very happy with it. Straps that will fit a 645 or 67 are few and far between and if you don't want a used one there's little other option, I think.
12-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #1078

Steve
Funny you should mention that! As a kid in the '70s I learned of Weston as a meter maker first. Whenever a small battery-powered device stopped working, my dad taught me that you straight away bring out the meter to test the batteries to see if that's the cause. The meter was the one below, which he handed down to me when I moved away (and he had long since got a newer and fancier meter). The glass is cracked, but it still works. Shown with it is a Weston Master II (same as dubiousone's) handed down from my father-in-law. So from two different families, I've ended up with two kinds of Weston meter. Bakelite galore!

BTW, the partially obscured white sticker at top-left of the multimeter's case says "$72.00". If those are US dollars (probably; my dad has never lived anywhere else), and if this thing is from perhaps the 1950s, these were not cheap meters! $72 in 1960 = $568 today, according to one inflation calculator.

--Dave

Photographed with K20D + SMC Tak 55/1.8
12-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #1079
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Funny you should mention that! As a kid in the '70s I learned of Weston as a meter maker first. BTW, the partially obscured white sticker at top-left of the multimeter's case says "$72.00". If those are US dollars (probably; my dad has never lived anywhere else), and if this thing is from perhaps the 1950s, these were not cheap meters! $72 in 1960 = $568 today, according to one inflation calculator.
Yes, me too. Turns out old man Weston is buried near where I live...

Here's some Weston meter ads
Flickr Search: weston meter

And a cell phone photo of a 1926 Weston AC meter in an antique store cabinet

12-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #1080
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
Picked up a very nice set of telephoto and close up lenses to go with this very nice Diacord L. Can't wait to shoot it!
K100DS f4.0 1/90 ISO400
Diacords are excellent cameras -- the lens is very contrasty and sharp I find.

mine: