08-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1831
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kinda wish I still had this one

08-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #1832
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Anyway, here's one I forgot - the Ricoh TLS401. This beast is one of few cameras to have two viewfinders - a dial on the side of the prism switches between an eye level and a waist level finder, which is concealed beneath a retractable cover. The waist level finder is small, but I have used it, for example when setting landscapes at the correct height it's pretty useful as it contains the metering information too.
I remember this camera from when it debuted. There was a lot of press at the time. I always thought it would be great for closeup work too. I have the Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 the same as is on your camera. It is a decent lens and one of my favorites.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you haven't seen it, here is a brief review of the Ricoh TLS401 published in 1970.
Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten that the TLS 401 also featured both spot and average metering similar to the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 and 500 DTL.

Steve
08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #1833
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten that the TLS 401 also featured both spot and average metering similar to the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 and 500 DTL.

Steve

You are welcome.
Along with acquisitions of these classics, I have also been getting magazines and more recently films taken of the era to get a better understanding.
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1834
Veteran Member

K01 with SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8 + custom viewfinder

I found an old Sony viewfinder for less than $10 and adapted it to the K01. Looks good and better still works very well with the 50mm,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #1835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You are shooting macro on the K-01? I find it's good for many things, but it's unresponsive shutter/AF and screen configuration make it a poor choice for macro except for static subjects.
I use it for static objects although I must admit I am unfamiliar with action macro - perhaps bugs? I tend to like photographing wild flowers and bugs, with the latter a little tricky from time to time.

The viewfinder makes the screen bright and easy to see in bright sunny conditions as I use focus peaking and manual focus - so AF is not an issue for me. Works a treat!

Re: unresponsive shutter? Unsure what you mean there. I use an infra red controller to release the shutter -
08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #1836
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I found an old Sony viewfinder for less than $10 and adapted it to the K01. Looks good and better still works very well with the 50mm,
Very cool! That is a respectable addition to the K01!

Steve
08-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #1837

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I use it for static objects although I must admit I am unfamiliar with action macro - perhaps bugs? I tend to like photographing wild flowers and bugs, with the latter a little tricky from time to time.

The viewfinder makes the screen bright and easy to see in bright sunny conditions as I use focus peaking and manual focus - so AF is not an issue for me. Works a treat!

Re: unresponsive shutter? Unsure what you mean there. I use an infra red controller to release the shutter -
Where did you find that? I'd love to have something like that for my K-01 that doesn't cost so much.

08-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #1838
Veteran Member

I remember this camera from when it debuted. There was a lot of press at the time. I always thought it would be great for closeup work too. I have the Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 the same as is on your camera. It is a decent lens and one of my favorites.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

The lens is indeed a nice one, mine has a little fungus but it doesn't affect IQ much. The spot metering (which I forgot to mention) is a useful feature from time to time but the complex metering system embedded in the mirror gives everything a green tinge and makes the finder rather dark.
It appears to be based on a well-used chassis from the 60s/70s, which can also be seen on the Chinonflex TTL, Cosina Hi-Lite and (I think) Nikkormat FT/FTn. I've seen discussion online as to where this body originated, and the consensus seems to be that it was either Cosina or Chinon. If anyone here has a definitive answer I'd be interested to know.

To be honest I don't use the TLS401 that much - it's ridiculously heavy, the finder is dark and the meter on my copy is intermittent - but it is a very interesting camera, and nine times out of ten that's what draws the money out of my wallet. Also, with so many heavy cameras, who needs a gym?

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice black Ricoh TLS401 Edmundrt.

I haven't come across another with the switchable configuration as used in the Ricoh TLS401 so I picked mine up as soon as I saw it.

It is more of a chin level finder which is very good for critical focusing same as you would do when you pop in the magnifiers on the other 35mm WL viewfinders.

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 03:07 PM ----------

Edmund, If you haven't seen it, here is a brief review of the Ricoh TLS401 published in 1970.
As a penny-pinching student I can't afford those expensive Pentax viewfinders so the TLS was as close as I could get

Thanks for the review!

Last edited by edmundrt; 08-11-2014 at 03:09 AM.
08-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #1839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattco26 Quote
Where did you find that? I'd love to have something like that for my K-01 that doesn't cost so much.
I bought it as part of a job lot. It is a Sony DSAC-MVC eye level viewfinder. I came unused in its box, which is important. The blank protection plate that attaches the viewfinder while packaged is required to customise the the piece. I cut a window into the blank then glued the modified blank to the camera with double sided tape. This now serves as the mount attachment meaning that the viewfinder can be detached when needed.

I have not seen any for sale of late. I suspect it will be hard to find.

Mark

Last edited by Wild Mark; 08-11-2014 at 04:14 AM. Reason: text issue
08-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #1840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
08-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #1841
Pentaxian

A second MZ-5N and huge Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 to use with it. I usually use manual cameras and primes for film so an AF zoom will be a bit of a novelty.

MZ-5N with Sigma EX DF 28-70 f/2.8
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr
08-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #1842
Pentaxian

How is the weight balance with such a large lens? The MZ-5n is not exactly a hefty camera.
The balance is ok because the weight is close to the camera body and because the DF (dual focus) system allows the focusing ring to disengage from the AF system, which means it can be held to support the gear.

Still, I suspect a battery grip would be beneficial, and I might look into getting one shortly. The grip is the FG, I think.
08-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #1843
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
It appears to be based on a well-used chassis from the 60s/70s, which can also be seen on the Chinonflex TTL, Cosina Hi-Lite and (I think) Nikkormat FT/FTn. I've seen discussion online as to where this body originated, and the consensus seems to be that it was either Cosina or Chinon. If anyone here has a definitive answer I'd be interested to know.
It is not definitive, but the history as I understand it is that the original Nikon version (Nikkorex F) was a collaboration between Mamiya and Nikon in the early 1960s. Shortly thereafter Ricoh acquired the design and tooling with the original Singlex (also in F mount with a Ricoh-made lens) being made in the same factory. Subsequent models of the Singlex were in M42 screw mount. Nikon, on the other hand, modified the design to create what was to become the long-lived Nikomat/Nikkormat series bodies.

All Singlex and Nikkormat models shared the same Copal "Square" vertical travel metal shutter. Ricoh modified the design by moving the shutter speed dial to the front of the camera. This allowed for a simplified direct geared linkage to the shutter mechanism rather than the complicated 90 degree turn of the original Mamiya design. I shot with a Singlex TLS as my camera for about a decade and really came to appreciate the front-mounted dial. It is much easier to use than a top-mounted design.

As for the Cosina/Chinon rumors. It is my belief that the rumor arose due to later cameras (think 1970s) bearing the Cosina and Chinon names that also had the Copal shutter and the distinctive front-mounted shutter speed dial. Whether these were made by Ricoh and rebranded or made under license or a completely different camera...who knows. The Singlex TLS was probably the most widely rebranded camera in history with the Sears label being the most common.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricoh_Singlex

http://www.cameraquest.com/nfrex.htm

http://www.cameraguild.jp/nekosan/singrex.htm

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Accuracy and completeness
08-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #1844

Having owned and used both, the K-01 shutter is slow as molasses to actuate compared to the K-5 or K-3, which is surprising, since there is no mirror to move out of the way. Although not so surprising, I suppose, since the K-01 is intended as more of a "style" cam than as a performer.
I think this perception is because the K-01 first has to close it's shutter. Shoot your K-5 or K-3 in live view mode and compare.
08-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #1845
Veteran Member

It is not definitive, but the history as I understand it is that the original Nikon version (Nikkorex F) was a collaboration between Mamiya and Nikon in the early 1960s. Shortly thereafter Ricoh acquired the design and tooling with the original Singlex (also in F mount with a Ricoh-made lens) being made in the same factory. Subsequent models of the Singlex were in M42 screw mount. Nikon, on the other hand, modified the design to create what was to become the long-lived Nikomat/Nikkormat series bodies.

All Singlex and Nikkormat models shared the same Copal "Square" vertical travel metal shutter. Ricoh modified the design by moving the shutter speed dial to the front of the camera. This allowed for a simplified direct geared linkage to the shutter mechanism rather than the complicated 90 degree turn of the original Mamiya design. I shot with a Singlex TLS as my camera for about a decade and really came to appreciate the front-mounted dial. It is much easier to use than a top-mounted design.

As for the Cosina/Chinon rumors. It is my belief that the rumor arose due to later cameras (think 1970s) bearing the Cosina and Chinon names that also had the Copal shutter and the distinctive front-mounted shutter speed dial. Whether these were made by Ricoh and rebranded or made under license or a completely different camera...who knows. The Singlex TLS was probably the most widely rebranded camera in history with the Sears label being the most common.

Ricoh Singlex - Camerapedia

Nikkorex F

Ricoh Singlex

Steve
Thanks Steve! I always like to know the history of my cameras. The front-mounted dial is nice, and it keeps the area around the shutter button uncluttered, IMO the best thing to appear on a variation of this body was the Nikkormat's top-mounted DoF preview button just to the left of the shutter release - perfect for that last check before you click.