Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #2101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
The M*300 to add to the K85 and K55

Its a bit battered but tight and looks good optically

I've got that same M* 300, mine is pretty banged up on the body and hood too, but the glass is clean,
Focus was always a bit stiff with that lens, nice it did not creep, but could be hard to move it fast when you were tracking a bird.
I've tried it on my DSLRs, but not been very happy with it, maybe a different screen for manual focus...

10-17-2014, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #2102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My newly aquired Nikon FT2 needed a lens. I found this one which came in it's original box and wrappings. Seems to have had little use.
10-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #2103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Very nice, looks in great shape! Hope everything functions as intended.

It looks like Canon's last interchangeable lens RF. Interesting statement by Canon, "Even though the writing was on the wall for rangefinder cameras, the 7s was introduced as the successor to the Canon 7." Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Film Cameras
Almost...the last rangefinder was the Canon 7sz, or 7s2, or 7 markII, whatever the fans calls it, a refined 7s with larger rewind knob and some say better viewfinder, that was produced in 68-69 in limited quantities.

The difference between the standard 7 and the 7s is more remarkable, they replaced the selenium cell with a proper battery powered light meter, I checked it yesterday against my slrs and it appears to be accurate, unlike the Nikon rangefinder the Canons are cheap(besides the 7sz), I've seen a 7 with dead selenium meter going for less than $100, I bought this 7s not in mint condition for $200 (plus $400 for the golden lens), most people in the rangefinder world find them "ugly" and big...like the Leica m5.
10-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #2104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suppose Canon didn't consider those variations of the 7S noteworthy enough - and the limited production, to identify it separately in their museum.
Looks like the weight and size were in line with cameras of the era - even less than the SLRs. I suppose then that something weighty and substantial made you think you were getting your moneys worth . . .

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
My newly aquired Nikon FT2 needed a lens. I found this one which came in it's original box and wrappings. Seems to have had little use.
Nice lens but you need a non-AI lens to keep it in character. . .

10-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #2105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Indeed solid looking. The prices have kept me from the Canon and Nikon rangefinders. Anyway, with 18 Retina/Retinettes and five Yashica Lynx, I have to stop somewhere. Of course, if a bargain ......
My Canon P (EX+ condition) was not too expensive, but the price of Canon glass has resulted in nothing but FSU lenses being mated with that camera. The Soviet stuff is good, but I still miss the fit and finish of a good Japanese or German lens.

Steve
10-18-2014, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #2106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My Canon P (EX+ condition) was not too expensive, but the price of Canon glass has resulted in nothing but FSU lenses being mated with that camera. The Soviet stuff is good, but I still miss the fit and finish of a good Japanese or German lens.

Steve
What Soviet stuff do you use? I'm trying to explain on the rangefinder form that Soviet lenses aren't just trash, but the Laicamen don't understand and they got offended when I said I've a Jupiter 12 that performs better than my Summaron on my M3. Also, the story of the Summicron 50 mm dual range being "the sharpest lens ever" is a complete fabrication.

However, today I was in London for a function and when I was free I went to one the most infamous Leica shop where I bought a camera for my 1940 Summarit...I think I'll also procure a collapsible Industar 50 because the Leitz glass glows...because of flares.

---------- Post added 10-18-14 at 05:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I suppose Canon didn't consider those variations of the 7S noteworthy enough - and the limited production, to identify it separately in their museum.
Looks like the weight and size were in line with cameras of the era - even less than the SLRs. I suppose then that something weighty and substantial made you think you were getting your moneys worth . . .
Yes indeed you're right, but as I was explaining to Steve, the rangefinder people think differently, you notice a lot when you post in both places. I call it "Barnack's course": for them the camera must be as little as possible and as unsophisticated as possible, and in the Canon range a lot of people think the P is the best, not the Vi or the 7. After a while you realise why the Spotmatic killed the rangefinders in the 60s.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-18-2014 at 05:34 PM.
10-19-2014, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #2107

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
What Soviet stuff do you use? I'm trying to explain on the rangefinder form that Soviet lenses aren't just trash, but the Laicamen don't understand and they got offended when I said I've a Jupiter 12 that performs better than my Summaron on my M3.
I agree about Soviet lenses and the Leicistas' response. If they pay thousands for a Leitz lens and can't see improved performance over that of a Jupiter, they have to rationalize the expense somehow.

I have one Leica lens, the collapsible Summar 50mm f/2, which came attached to my 1936 IIIa--it may be the original lens. I just had the camera and lens CLA'd, and the Summar is a lot clearer now, but it's not coated, so I don't expect super imaging from it even after cleaning and polishing. If I were to buy another $250-$300 lens, it wouldn't be a Summar.

For most photography with the camera I use an Industar 61 (50/2.8) and a Jupiter 12 (35/2). If I get another lens to use on the Leica, it will probably be a Jupiter 8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #2108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
I agree about Soviet lenses and the Leicistas' response. If they pay thousands for a Leitz lens and can't see improved performance over that of a Jupiter, they have to rationalize the expense somehow.

I have one Leica lens, the collapsible Summar 50mm f/2, which came attached to my 1936 IIIa--it may be the original lens. I just had the camera and lens CLA'd, and the Summar is a lot clearer now, but it's not coated, so I don't expect super imaging from it even after cleaning and polishing. If I were to buy another $250-$300 lens, it wouldn't be a Summar.

For most photography with the camera I use an Industar 61 (50/2.8) and a Jupiter 12 (35/2). If I get another lens to use on the Leica, it will probably be a Jupiter 8.
You're gonna love this thread then:

Old sonnar (e.g. Jupiter 8) vs modern Sonnar - Rangefinderforum.com

It started with a guys asking what's the difference between a Jupiter 8 and a modern Sonnar, they started to invent stuff like Soviet "reverse engineering" Zeiss lenses, production of Contax moved from Dresden to Kiev (actually Dresden was destroyed by Americ...ehm the Wrath of Stalin and all the documents were moved to CSJ where the production was restarted under Soviet control), CZJ engineers deported in Ukraine as "slave labourers" etc...however in the thread there's a picture I've taken today with a Industar 61 and my IIIb, the old little camera today performed well, I'll post some pics in the B&W thread.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 10-19-2014 at 11:49 AM.
10-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #2109
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What Soviet stuff do you use? I'm trying to explain on the rangefinder form that Soviet lenses aren't just trash, but the Laicamen don't understand and they got offended when I said I've a Jupiter 12 that performs better than my Summaron on my M3.
I just dabble with Soviet rangefinders and also used to be active on the rangefinder forum a few years back. There are some legitimate points regarding the FSU lenses in LTM, but mostly the guys on the Leica sections of the site are not interested in clones or non-Leica lenses. This is what I own:

Bodies
  • Kiev 4A, ca. 1961
  • FED 2, ca 1963-1966
  • Zorki 4K, ca 1976
Lenses
  • KMZ Jupiter-8 50/2, LTM (2, ca 1984 and ca 1976)
  • LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8, LTM (ca 1982)
  • FED Industar-61 52/2.5, LTM (ca 1966)
  • Arsenal Jupiter-8M 50/2, Contax/Kiev (ca 1967)
  • Arsenal Helios-103 53/1.8, Contax/Kiev (ca 1983)
  • LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8, Contax/Kiev (ca 1980)
  • LZOS Jupiter-9 85/2, Contax/Kiev (ca 1962)
Of the above, only the Industar is a truly poor lens.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-19-14 at 11:11 AM ----------

It started with a guys asking what's the difference between a Jupiter 8 and a modern Sonnar, they started to invest stuff like Soviet "reverse engineering" Zeiss lenses...
"Reverse engineering"? Ha! Ha! There was no need. They had the machinery in their possession! I respect Dante Stella, but I think perhaps he skipped breakfast that day. The early Contax/Kiev mount lenses were faithful reproductions of their German counterparts though with variation related to availability of equivalent glass. With any luck Jussi (Nesster) will weigh in. He owns both Jupiter-8 and CZJ Sonnar in Contax/Kiev mount ( mid-1950s vintage) and has done a bit of comparison shooting using both lenses on both Kiev and Contax cameras.

I like David Hughes' first comment on the thread you linked and concur with most of the other practical comments as well. The most important thing to do is to go out and shoot and learn the strengths and weaknesses of a particular lens in the field.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
10-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #2110
Veteran Member

I've got this huge, throbbing... cable release. Is it arousing enough for this thread?

10-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #2111
IHS

Oh my...that is a big one!!! Put that away before it hurts someone.
10-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #2112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IHS Quote
Oh my...that is a big one!!! Put that away before it hurts someone.
Come on man, don't be like that! I need to get some release* first...

... there we go.

I'll put it away now, I promise.

(Now I'm craving a smoke for some reason...)

*Not what you think, you sick pervert!

Last edited by Boris_Akunin; 10-22-2014 at 04:33 PM.
10-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #2113
IHS

hahaha!!! Nice vid!
10-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #2114

I've had a bit of luck of late with Pentax finds. First is this I found in Geelong.

Always check under the lens cap!! It came in a binoculars case, camera works a treat and lens is MINT. Never thought I'd have such a fast lens.

Then I came into a camera bag with a few items, bought because of the 24mm lens it had in it. Also contained an ME with 50 1.7, and a few peculiar rarities!

A mirror adapter. Fits on to 58mm lenses and has a fake front with a mirror and porthole out the side. For detectives, or pervs, or shy people I guess. Also this old beasty

Still works a charm! Though these old flashes scare the crap out of me. I've worked on tube guitar amps with much higher voltage, but during these pictures an af200t started shorting out its capacitor. And look at how safe the ac adapter is! The set also included a k-m42 adapter and I'm not sure what the hotshoe thing is for, anyone know?

10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #2115
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
First is this I found in Geelong.
Congrats!

I've got one more to squirt out:

Nothing more erotic than accurately measuring things, right?

Last edited by Boris_Akunin; 10-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.