Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #2176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
That is a steal. Love the condition and case.
Thanks ... I don't know if you noticed, but the camera came with the original cover for the hot shoe ! I am wondering if it was ever been used ...

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 22:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Canon T90
Canon Speedlite 300TL
FDn 28mm f/2.8
FDn 50mm f/1.8
FDn 85mm f/1.8
FD 200mm f/2.8 S.S.C.
Forgot mention this ... but, that's quite a haul, Boris ! Congratz.

11-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #2177
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by giu.behringer Quote
My ME and some others... Still looking to increasing the collection. I'm just picky about the condition cos I still use (most of) them. Tho I don't mind some bumps and scratches.

OT: in the last Radcliffe movie, Horns, I've seen her girlfriend using a black Pentax camera, I assume it's a ME but I'm not that sure, anybody have a shot of the movie?
11-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #2178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giu.behringer Quote
My ME and some others... Still looking to increasing the collection. I'm just picky about the condition cos I still use (most of) them. Tho I don't mind some bumps and scratches.
Don't know where you live, but I have many duplicates I need to trade away. Nearly all my cameras are fully serviceable, and many have been professionally serviced. Notice a Praktica IV that you have. I have two fully functioning and two that can't switch to the slow shutter speeds below 1/25.
11-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #2179
Veteran Member

Ok guys I completed my Pentaxian quest getting the last camera I didn't have:

Can anybody educate me to the Way of the LX? The accessories to have, not to have, do, don't do, problems, etc...? I'm relatively ignorant regarding this camera, while I had some info about the Nikon F2 and the Canon F-1N I don't know how it compares besides the fact it's tiny and perhaps my back will be happier to drag this camera around London...BTW I heard it has been changed through its long production run, is this one supposed to be an early or late model?

11-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #2180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote

Can anybody educate me to the Way of the LX? The accessories to have, not to have, do, don't do, problems, etc...? I'm relatively ignorant regarding this camera, while I had some info about the Nikon F2 and the Canon F-1N I don't know how it compares besides the fact it's tiny and perhaps my back will be happier to drag this camera around London...BTW I heard it has been changed through its long production run, is this one supposed to be an early or late model?
Looks good! Unfortunately I don’t own a LX so I can’t help you there.

This may help with determining if you have an early or late version:

LX Camera Film Bodies

Phil.
11-03-2014, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #2181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Really . . . the last camera . . .

COngratulations as it looks in good shape. It also looks like you have the hard to find sync cover? I also don't have the soft cover and been looking for one in good shape myself.

As you already noticed, the LX saves some weight compared to the Canon New F-1.

Since you are already familiar with the F-1, some differences between the two are:
  1. Both have substantial build quality but the LX was more weatherproof.
  2. The F1 has spot meter option using specific screens while the LX does not.
  3. The F1 has shutter priority when used with the motordrive while the LX does not.
  4. The F1 does not have MLU while the LX does.
  5. The F1 has a viewfinder blind while the LX does not need it.
  6. F1 film speed to 6400 while the LX to 3200.
  7. F1 in aperture priority AE finder limited to 1/1000 while the LX is 1/2000.
  8. X Sync for the F1 is 1/90 while the LX is 1/75.
  9. The LX has TTL OTF flash while the F1 does not.
  10. LX finder is 98%V and 95%H coverage from 0.55X to 1.35X depending on viewfinder - see below.
  11. Both have the same range of shutter speeds available in manual mode when batteries die but the F1 battery has to be physically removed for it to work.
  12. The F1's timer is battery dependent while LX self timer is manual.
  13. The F1's multiexposure is the "universal manual" method with no guarantee of perfect registration while the LX has perfect frame registration going forward or backward.
  14. The F1 - and all Canons past or present, can only aperture priority autoexpose to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  15. The LX metering range is superior to any camera ever made past or present at EV -6.5 to EV 20, and can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die.
Selection of LX viewfinders.

If you don't have it already, here is a link to the 1985 booklet of the Pentax LX -> Google Translate
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2182
Veteran Member

Your collection gets more impressive every post! And yes I bid tis one because it came with the leather case, after the hard experience of my two K2s (I can't the cases) I decided to focus on getting one already "dressed up". For the sync covers, there's a guy on ebay who sells a Pentax kit with body cover, sync covers, battery caps and an eyecup.

I'm disappointed by hearing that I can't change the metering changing screens like the F-1N, where you have three options: spotmetering, center balance (P screen) and all field balanced (A screens) like the 60/40 percentage of Nikon. I don't know what MLU is but I'll do some research, I assume you can have just aperture priority with the LX, not shutter priority at all , but does it change if I use A lenses in comparison to M lenses? I was tempted by getting an A lens especially to change the the look of the camera (ok I'm boring) and I like the pentaprism without hot shoe, but it appears it's hard to procure.

I also noticed there are different grips, one of which made of...wood? That supposedly can be shaped, that's interesting but I don't think I can use it with the half case....I wonder why there are four studs on the front, can teh grip be installed on both sides? And what would be the official eyecup? I like eyecups and I always add one to my cameras.

11-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2183
Pentaxian

MLU = mirror lock up. Canon had it on the the previous F-1 model but decided to omit it on this model.

The LX doesn't have electrical contacts to take advantage of the A lenses.

The LX has four studs so that you can add the handgrip and still put the neck strap on the other side which will have the camera hang vertically.

Also, are you already aware of this site -> Photography in Malaysia
It has an LX review -> Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series
And an F-1 review -> Canon New F-1 SLR camera - Modern Classic SLRs Series

This site made me really get into it . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-03-2014 at 05:49 PM.
11-04-2014, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2184
Pentaxian

Nothing special here. Just a thrift store save and it was nice to have the box and instructions.

11-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #2185
IHS

Congrats!!! Very nice...
11-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #2186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nothing special here. Just a thrift store save and it was nice to have the box and instructions.
It seems that these cameras last but it is the paperwork/boxes that don't so that is a great find!
Is the camera functional?
11-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #2187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It seems that these cameras last but it is the paperwork/boxes that don't so that is a great find!
Is the camera functional?
Les, everything seems OK to me at first glance.

Looks like it spent a lot of time in its box and well stored as well. Shutter fine, blades fine, etc. It seems to work as good as it looks cosmetically.

After a long-ish drought at my thrift store, things are picking up a bit ... J
11-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #2188
Pentaxian

A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted. Taken with the K200D and SMC Tak 35/2 at f/2.8. Cross-posted to the Takumar thread.

IMGP1003a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

IMGP1001a
11-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #2189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted. Taken with the K200D and SMC Tak 35/2 at f/2.8. Cross-posted to the Takumar thread.

IMGP1003a

IMGP1001a
Nice presentation of nice gear.
11-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #2190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of shots of my SP1000 with SMC 55/2 mounted.
Elegant simplicity.