Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #2221
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'm aware of the problem and the solution, unfortunately a CLA in the UK for the LX costs £126, almost what I've paid for the camera, at the moment I can't spend that money and I'm wondering if it's better to send the camera back and get another one, the misalignment at inifity is minimal and I hoped the problem wouldn't be so evident, here there are some test shots:

No prob:

Prob at f2.8 if I remember correctly:

Two shots at f1.7 and 45 cm of distance or so, ironically no prob:

This self portrait looks almost like a slight focusing error but I'm sure I was correct...it was shot in auto mode and it looks a little overexposed imo:

Evident backfocus here:

Stupid sticky soft rubber pads ruined this wonderful scene with two squirrels going around after the rain:

So, besides the CLA is there any other ad interim solution? For instance shimming the mirror?

Last edited by Cuthbert; 11-08-2014 at 01:27 PM.
11-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #2222
IHS

The LX is a great camera...I'd try to be patient until I had the money for a CLA. Then you'll have an awesome camera for a very long time. I know it's hard, but they aren't getting any cheaper and you never know what the next one will be like. (could be worse) I'd save my nickles...That's just my opinion.
11-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #2223
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes, I'm aware of the problem and the solution, unfortunately a CLA in the UK for the LX costs £126, almost what I've paid for the camera, at the moment I can't spend that money and I'm wondering if it's better to send the camera back and get another one, the misalignment at inifity is minimal and I hoped the problem wouldn't be so evident, here there are some test shots:
So, besides the CLA is there any other ad interim solution? For instance shimming the mirror?
I would suggest that test shots be conducted on tripod to eliminate movement and conclusively identify focus.
I would also suggest making sure the diopter is set correctly. I also test all my cameras using a viewfinder magnifier to ensure optimum manual focus.

There are two specific Pentax magnifiers - one for the K version and the other for the M series and LX. K series version below but it will not fit the LX+FA-1&2.

I found the Olympus Varimagni Finder fits most of my SLRs including both K & M series as well as the LX.

I understand that lab testing is done at the film plane with a screen and magnifier. However, I have never encountered a misaligned mirror in all the slrs that I have bought to date. But that is not to say your example does not have a focus issue.

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.
11-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #2224
Veteran Member

I see your point, never had a focusing problem with a slr until now (while some rfs are iffy) but today I made a small experiment and got convinced the mirror is the problem. I focused an object at about 2.5 Mt from means measured the distance using the scale of the lens as a tachimeter: My K1000, MX and FM measured something between the 3 and 2, they were consistent, the LX is convinced that the distance is over 3 meters. I used a piece of paper to &quot;shim&quot; the mirror under its central cushion and I noticed I got about the same distance as the other cameras, of course if the mirror is lower the distance measured by the lens would be greater and the result will be a backfocus, so I need to raise that mirror somehow...and I also checked if the screen was the problem, bad idea: The seal of the mirror is destroyed and all the dust went on the screen and the glass above it (lx and mx have another element, unlike Nikon and canons...the result is that I couldn't clean them as before and the viewfinder that was crystal clear now is sh!t...I feel stupid!<br />
<br />
However, I see a lot of potential in the lx, I have already started to buy the accessories I need in a camera (grip, hood, eyecup etc..) but I'm unimpressed by the 1.7 to be honest, a soviet Helios is Imo a much better choice, I'm sorry not to enjoy the camera as I should for this stupid problem.

11-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #2225

If the camera is fundamentally in good condition then I'd spend the money on the CLA.

I've often thought that if I could afford an LX I'd probably buy a tidy but jammed example and have it repaired. There's just as much chance of a working example locking up at some point, at least that way I'd have one which had been serviced. The price of camera plus CLA would probably be about the same as the price of a working example.

As things stand I'm happy with my KXs and MXs. Yes, I could probably sell them all and buy an LX, but the K and M bodies are simple enough to DIY repair. I have an MX on test at the moment which came to me as a stripped hulk with a dead light meter and non-functional flash connections. After replacing the missing parts and some strategic bending of contacts it seems to work fine, the shutter sounds right compared to a known good example. I doubt an LX would take kindly to the same treatment!
11-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #2226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Made a few score at the Nantes swap today ... Will post some images of the swap and the gear tomorrow ... Cheap post for "Post-a-thon" contest
11-09-2014, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #2227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
If the camera is fundamentally in good condition then I'd spend the money on the CLA.

I've often thought that if I could afford an LX I'd probably buy a tidy but jammed example and have it repaired. There's just as much chance of a working example locking up at some point, at least that way I'd have one which had been serviced. The price of camera plus CLA would probably be about the same as the price of a working example.

As things stand I'm happy with my KXs and MXs. Yes, I could probably sell them all and buy an LX, but the K and M bodies are simple enough to DIY repair. I have an MX on test at the moment which came to me as a stripped hulk with a dead light meter and non-functional flash connections. After replacing the missing parts and some strategic bending of contacts it seems to work fine, the shutter sounds right compared to a known good example. I doubt an LX would take kindly to the same treatment!
Today I made a little experiment shimming the mirror with some paper and it appears it's 0.5 mm lower than where it is supposed to be, perhaps I might try and emergency repair before sending the camera to CLA.

However these are my K1000 and MX:

I assume the K1000 is an early 1976 model, one still made in Japan:

It has a SMC 55 mm f2.0, gofour said it was the lens meant to be sold with the K1000, first production run.

The MX is a piece of junk, it arrived so dirty that I could barely see inside the viewfinder, the shutter speed wheel was off and the lightmeter didn't work, now it's in working but outside still looks pretty bad:

The LX feels slick and smooth, a pity for this problem because IMO is a camera of another class, much more sophisticated:

Almost like a sort of Leica M3/4 equivalent in the SLR range...a pity it's underrated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Made a few score at the Nantes swap today ... Will post some images of the swap and the gear tomorrow ... Cheap post for "Post-a-thon" contest
Keep us informed!

11-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #2228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
One of the causes of "sticky mirror" on the LX is a softening of the pad that the mirror rests on when down in the focusing position.
I'm a little late to jump in with my LX experience but anyway...
The rubber pad was clearly the cause of the sticky mirror in my case, making the mirror stick if the camera was not released for a while. So the immediate workaround is to get the mirror loose using the MLU before shooting. That said, I managed to replace the pad with a rubber piece cut to fit that I glued in and it worked OK with some trial and error concerning the thickness for proper focusing. If the mirror position is off it will be more of a problem with wide angle lenses where a little movement of the lens while focusing makes a lot of difference. Long lenses are less sensitive to this issue. I don't have my LX body with me but there might be an adjusting screw inside the mirror box too -- but if there is I did not touch it.
Finally, if the question remains, I can confirm that the M eyecup fits the LX (couldn't live without one and tended to lose/break them, so I still have two or three lying around).
11-10-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #2229

Having managed to hunt down some M series lens hoods I thought a portrait of my examples of the first M bodies was in order:

11-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #2230
Pentaxian

Having managed to hunt down some M series lens hoods I thought a portrait of my examples of the first M bodies was in order:
Excellent ... they look great. Must be nice, J
11-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #2231

The ME was a lucky find on ebay. Nobody else bid, so I got a minty black ME with the nicest M 50mm f1.7 I own, original lens cap, original strap, the case that had protected it since new and the manual with the original guarantee slip for £25. I replaced the light seals, fitted a couple of new batteries and got a perfectly exposed roll of film back.

The MX was listed as spares or repair, turned out it needed a good clean, new light seals, and a new focusing screen. I fitted a spare grid one I had hanging around which has a couple of small marks. The light meter was overexposing by about 2/3rds of a stop on arrival but after a lot of wiggling the ISO dial it seems to have calmed down.
11-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #2232
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very nice ensemble!
11-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #2233
Pentaxian

The ME was a lucky find on ebay. Nobody else bid, so I got a minty black ME with the nicest M 50mm f1.7 I own, original lens cap, original strap, the case that had protected it since new and the manual with the original guarantee slip for £25. I replaced the light seals, fitted a couple of new batteries and got a perfectly exposed roll of film back.

The MX was listed as spares or repair, turned out it needed a good clean, new light seals, and a new focusing screen. I fitted a spare grid one I had hanging around which has a couple of small marks. The light meter was overexposing by about 2/3rds of a stop on arrival but after a lot of wiggling the ISO dial it seems to have calmed down.
That's a great haul on the ME and glad to you worked out the MX ... I would like to have a black one. J
11-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #2234
Veteran Member

I'm also waiting for the same hood with case for my LX.
11-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #2235

Black MXs are hard to find, I don't see that many for sale. I also have a minty chrome one which I picked up in similar circumstances to the black ME, but paid a bit more for. Oh, and two slightly rough chrome ones. One was my first MX, the other the repair project now being film tested.

MEs apparently breed in my cupboards. I have another minty black one and three chrome ones with varying levels of scuffing! I think they're often unfairly overlooked, the black versions with an M 40mm and fast film are very nifty for parties.

Lens hoods seem to suffer from one or two ebay sellers convincing people that they're rare and should be expensive. I refuse to pay £35 for a lens hood, which one seller seems to consider the going rate! Problem is, anyone else listing one will follow suit and hey presto you have a situation where if you want one you're paying that much. I waited for ages to find one at a price I considered sane.