Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #2791
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
What a beauty, Jean.
Thanks. I got lucky, again.

I am really impressed how well Yashica gear "ages" ... my Mat 124G is great ... plus the Electro 35 GSN, despite it's rough-handled cosmetic flaws.

05-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #2792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks. I got lucky, again.

I am really impressed how well Yashica gear "ages" ... my Mat 124G is great ... plus the Electro 35 GSN, despite it's rough-handled cosmetic flaws.
If that's "Magic Marker" or equivalent on the window, rub gently with alcohol and be patient, keep at it.
05-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #2793
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If that's "Magic Marker" or equivalent on the window, rub gently with alcohol and be patient, keep at it.
Thanks. I already removed it with the 3M "Easy Clean" pen, which is "citrus" based, I think.

It works quite well. Highly recommended.
05-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #2794
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
http://instagram.com/p/2mD71eFow7/‏
I picked up a K2 yesterday for £20 (about $30), looks to be working, even the batteries are still good. I was looking for a lens cap for an old rangefinder and came across the ad where the seller had a few things, no idea of value, so I made an offer. It's a bit heavier than the MX or Super Program!
The link fails but even so a K2 for £20 is a bargain. You might have problems with the ISO dial though. See other recent-ish threads on the K2.

K.

05-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #2795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
http://instagram.com/p/2mD71eFow7/‏
I picked up a K2 yesterday for £20 (about $30), looks to be working, even the batteries are still good. I was looking for a lens cap for an old rangefinder and came across the ad where the seller had a few things, no idea of value, so I made an offer. It's a bit heavier than the MX or Super Program!
That's certainly a bargain. I paid around four times that for each of mine and they both need CLAs. In my experience with the K2, the ISO dial is the least of your worries.
05-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #2796
Veteran Member

It's arrived...almost mint Praktica MTL 50 1st series:

Still have to test it but it looks brand new and feels very '85...
05-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #2797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Contax-S shutter release position is the most interesting feature.

05-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #2798
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The Contax-S shutter release position is the most interesting feature.
From an ergonomic point of view the camera is pretty peculiar, besides the fact that that Zeiss Ikon Dresden became Pentacon (so we can say the Praktica is the legitimate scion of the Contax S), the position of the DOF lever makes you grab the camera like a old Contax rangefinder, inside the finder there is another lever that informs you when you advance the film (so you know you are ready to shoot) and on the back there is a quickload device similar to the one Canon used on the FTB.

Oh, the triple slanted split image is also a VERY good idea...I'm eager to see how it performs with film.
05-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #2799

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The link fails but even so a K2 for £20 is a bargain. You might have problems with the ISO dial though. See other recent-ish threads on the K2.

K.
Oops will see if I can upload something then, but it looks much like any other K2 with a chrome top! I tried out the metering vs. Pocket Light Meter app and it seemed okay but it was a quick try. Since then I've found that the lens barrel is loose, and also the aperture doesn't close past f8 despite the ring continuing to click up to f22, so God knows what the metering is really like. I'll try to fix those but can use another lens in the meantime. I'll check out the ISO ring, it was a pain to adjust to 400, seemed to not want to go the last click but did in the end; I tried my best to be gentle with it!

Yes it was a total bargain, I knew my wife was going to laugh at me for buying yet another camera so it had to be worth that!
05-16-2015, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #2800
Veteran Member

New toys arrived for this overgrown child!

New spare ST705 body, few lenses and accessories and all for the reasonable price of £51.

Now I'm looking forward to going out at the park to play a little bit with them and of course a roll of Superia 200.
05-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #2801
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nice! What were the included lenses? I can see the 75-150 an dthe one in the back appears to be the 50mm f/1.8, but the one in the middle is hard to make out. 28mm?

The EBC fujinons are real gems.
Yes the main lens is a non EBD 55 mm f1.8 ( I don't know if there is a real difference between the EBD and the non EBD version of this lens), the other is the 28mm f3.5 EBD with square hood and leather case for the hood (plus case), then it came with the zoom which looks intimidating but unfortunately weights a ton...finally the body is near mint.

I am aware that these lenses are very expensive, I wanted to get a 50 mm f1.4 but the prices are they ask are ludicrousy IMO, but what I found more interesting is that the aperture coupling for these lenses looks suspiciously similar to the one adopted by Nikon in their AI mount some years later.
05-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #2802
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
New toys arrived for this overgrown child!
New spare ST705 body, few lenses and accessories and all for the reasonable price of £51.
Now I'm looking forward to going out at the park to play a little bit with them and of course a roll of Superia 200.

Nice acquisition. I've been looking into the Fujicas myself
05-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #2803
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice acquisition. I've been looking into the Fujicas myself
We should put up a "wish list" section or "looking for" section.

I have a really nice chrome ST 705 with 55/1.8 plus an great case/strap that needs a home. I put it up on French eBay a few days ago because ... well, I got too much and trying to thin out some . All the nicer Nikons were traded away at the last few swaps ... next maybe the Olympus stuff.

What do you all think? " I am looking for XXX p0rn "
05-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #2804
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
We should put up a "wish list" section or "looking for" section.

I have a really nice chrome ST 705 with 55/1.8 plus an great case/strap that needs a home. I put it up on French eBay a few days ago because ... well, I got too much and trying to thin out some . All the nicer Nikons were traded away at the last few swaps ... next maybe the Olympus stuff.

What do you all think? " I am looking for XXX p0rn "
Sadly my wish list is largely things I can't afford like the K18/3.5, the A*85/1.4 or the K200/2.5... I've slowly acquired most of the cheaper lenses on my wish list, and then some of the more expensive ones (like the K28/3.5 shift or the K30/2.8), now I'm onto ones I might just be able to afford if I am lucky. Just as well the A1200 never comes up...

K.
05-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #2805
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Sadly my wish list is largely things I can't afford like the K18/3.5, the A*85/1.4 or the K200/2.5... I've slowly acquired most of the cheaper lenses on my wish list, and then some of the more expensive ones (like the K28/3.5 shift or the K30/2.8), now I'm onto ones I might just be able to afford if I am lucky. Just as well the A1200 never comes up...

K.
Same thing here: I ran out of Pentax gear to buy, besides the most expensive stuff like the K or A 50 mm f1.2, so I'm experimenting with new stuff like Praktica and the Fujinon gear.

I must say the 705 is a nice camera, almost as well finished as a Spottie, it remains a mystery to me why in the 80s Fuji dropped the SLR ball, btw their last cameras were pretty bad looking.