Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #3331
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
It's a great lens with a PK/A ... and one reason why I have not already acquired the modern 70-200/2.8. Hard to justify for AF and a "stop" ...

Steve. If I had known ... my three. The middle one (with a tint tad of fungus) was a thrift store acquisition for 3€, which is a deal since lenses "that big" usually go for 5€ !

PS - Just picked up a very nice used Samyang 8/3.5 ... does it show?
Ha! Ha! I want your hood and your case!!! As you are probably aware, the 19AH generally goes for $70-$100 USD on this side of the Atlantic. I got mine at KEH Ex+ for $99 (shipping included) and felt fortunate that they included the Tamron front lens cap. No hood, case, or clear plastic rear cap. I am hoping I can find a 62mm screw-in hood that will clear the extension mechanism.

FWIW, Tamron Adaptall lenses are fairly hard to come by here in the Portland area so you are doubly (triply?) lucky.

Steve

09-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #3332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! I want your hood and your case!!! As you are probably aware, the 19AH generally goes for $70-$100 USD on this side of the Atlantic. I got mine at KEH Ex+ for $99 (shipping included) and felt fortunate that they included the Tamron front lens cap. No hood, case, or clear plastic rear cap. I am hoping I can find a 62mm screw-in hood that will clear the extension mechanism.

FWIW, Tamron Adaptall lenses are fairly hard to come by here in the Portland area so you are doubly (triply?) lucky.

Steve
Hey, if I come across another hood and/or case and/or box, I will try to snag 'em for you. There's a swap south of Bordeaux this month but it's quite far (min. 6 hours round trip). There's two in November that I will hit (Tours & Nantes) ... as the French say, "On verra."
09-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #3333
Veteran Member

It is a handful when mounted to a small body like the Super Program. Adding the Winder MEII helps a little. I should note that at 860g and 150mm length it is about the same size as other comparable zooms in its class, though a little heavier than most. When compared to current model 70-210/2.8 from Tamron and Sigma or even the FA* 80-200/2.8, it is both small and light
Sounds awesome. In that class I've a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 Macro zoom... Nearly unused cosmetically and optically, including the case even. It was practically free with a beatup MX lot I bought about 2 years ago for which I really only wanted the focusing screen and MX winder, then sold the MX (it was reasonably in good shape but was my 3rd). I've really only shot with the Vivitar a couple times. I should break it out.

---------- Post added 09-23-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The first two are cross-posted to the "M" series thread. My new 35mm f/2.8 arrived this morning so I did a comparison with it's faster brother, shot with the M 50/1.4 except the last one which was the 35mm limited.
The M 35mm 2.0 is one of the only lenses I've let go and regretted. Awesome tiny lil guy.
09-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #3334
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first real film camera, (SLR) was an MX. I had to sell it, but I did buy another SLR later, the P30t.
Some time ago, after getting several digital SLR bodies, I got another MX and a couple P3 bodies.
The MX really needs a CLA, and I have never shot it. The P3n and P30t are loaded with film and I shoot them fairly regularly.
Some days I think about getting out of 135 film entirely, as I prefer the 120 film. I dunno. I am conflicted.

09-23-2015, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #3335
Pentaxian

Welcome Aboard! taken with Pentax K-x and Pentax-M 35/2 by Jason Doss, on Flickr
Sorry to rub it in, chickentender. :-)
09-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #3336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
My first real film camera, (SLR) was an MX. I had to sell it, but I did buy another SLR later, the P30t.
Some time ago, after getting several digital SLR bodies, I got another MX and a couple P3 bodies.
The MX really needs a CLA, and I have never shot it. The P3n and P30t are loaded with film and I shoot them fairly regularly.
Some days I think about getting out of 135 film entirely, as I prefer the 120 film. I dunno. I am conflicted.
I'm sure there's room for both 120 and 135 in your days. Live and let live.

---------- Post added 09-23-15 at 08:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Welcome Aboard! taken with Pentax K-x and Pentax-M 35/2 by Jason Doss, on Flickr
Sorry to rub it in, chickentender. :-)
S'all good. I've a number of new friends to keep me company... But I do miss that thing when I'd like a similar FOV and don't wanna take along the larger and far more expensive 31 with me.
09-24-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #3337
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Fed2L has arrived:

Besides the rangefinder completely off, the scratched lens, the selftimer jammer and the shutter which remains open on B everything works fine.

This one :

On the other side is the usual tiny and capable Praktica B variation, everything works just fine, unfortunately the lens isn't great but I got everything for £6 plus shipping.

09-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #3338
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Besides the rangefinder completely off, the scratched lens, the selftimer jammer and the shutter which remains open on B everything works fine.
Filter ring?

You may find this of interest...

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs/fed2service.pdf

...and...

Classic Collectable Cameras The FED 2

...and...

FED-2 shutter repair (many distracting garbage popups and such)

...and finally! Issak S. Maizenberg "All you need to know about the design and repair of Russian cameras"

I will get you a good link for the Maizenberg book.

Steve
09-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #3339
Veteran Member

Filter ring?

You may find this of interest...

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs/fed2service.pdf

...and...

Classic Collectable Cameras The FED 2

...and...

FED-2 shutter repair (many distracting garbage popups and such)

...and finally! Issak S. Maizenberg "All you need to know about the design and repair of Russian cameras"

I will get you a good link for the Maizenberg book.

Steve
Good stuff. I'm gonna need'm too. Between the 3 Soviets I now have in the past few weeks, I nearly have one that works well and shoots enjoyably.
09-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #3340
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Good stuff. I'm gonna need'm too. Between the 3 Soviets I now have in the past few weeks, I nearly have one that works well and shoots enjoyably.
I have been lucky with soviet cameras, this is the only one with serious issues, all my soviet RFs besides the Leningrad are very reliable.

Edit: they made me do it!

After Alan Smithee and his girls, this time I blame Colton...entirely.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 09-25-2015 at 11:08 AM.
09-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #3341
Veteran Member

I have been lucky with soviet cameras, this is the only one with serious issues, all my soviet RFs besides the Leningrad are very reliable.
I really really like the (older) Zorki 4 that just arrived to me... It's quite beat up but in that just-enough-to-be-loveable sort of way. The glass on the Jupiter 8 is nearly flawless - not even cleaning marks can I see and it's of the same older vintage as the camera but the lovely purple coating is entirely intact... The whole package would have been perfect of for a more regular-use camera (what I was after in this one) except for the damn focus ring. "Focus ring work smooth and just as it should" is apparently how you describe a ring with grease so old and worn that half the time, turning it with any gusto, starts unscrewing the lens from the mount. *sigh*

All that said - I just last night scanned in the first two rolls for the Fed 2E and the Kiev 4M.... results far surpassed my expectations.
09-25-2015, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3342
Veteran Member

This just in...

MIOJ Konica I w/ Hexar 50/2.8
09-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #3343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This just in...

MIOJ Konica I w/ Hexar 50/2.8
FUN! I nearly bought one of those about 3 weeks ago! Let us know how you get on with it.
09-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #3344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This just in...
Lovely condition by the looks of it. I wish I could justify expanding into yet another brand of classic range-finders.
09-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #3345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
FUN! I nearly bought one of those about 3 weeks ago! Let us know how you get on with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Lovely condition by the looks of it. I wish I could justify expanding into yet another brand of classic range-finders.
The build quality is exceptional. Everything is so smooth operating and solid feeling.
It's a beautiful camera.

---------- Post added 09-25-2015 at 05:52 PM ----------

After Alan Smithee and his girls, this time I blame Colton...entirely.
Excellent choice of camera.