Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9447 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #3376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I have to stop this. My third Nikkormat, this one bought for the lens, delivered for C$101. My other two are mint like silver. This black one not quite that standard. The lens made 1974-77
That's the very camera I learned to shoot with.

10-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #3377
Veteran Member

One of these days soon, I'm going to have to drag all my cameras out and do a full 'family reunion portrait' of sorts.
I'm a little afraid.
10-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #3378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
One of these days soon, I'm going to have to drag all my cameras out and do a full 'family reunion portrait' of sorts.
I'm a little afraid.
Even my 15mm wouldn't be wide enough in my case. When I croak, they will curse me for leaving them to get rid of all the gear. I just can't resist some of these classics.
10-04-2015, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #3379
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a little afraid.
LOL, I JUST found my long lost micro 110 camera I have been searching for the last few years.

Now I can finally do a 110 family portrait.

I am fairly certain that I don't have a table large enough to do a full family portrait, although I just got an idea that might let me do that trick.

10-04-2015, 10:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, the Bessa R3M came on Thursday and the lens (Nokton 40/1.4) came over the weekend. The camera is not particularly photogenic, but I did manage a fruitful low-key session...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.
10-04-2015, 11:03 PM - 3 Likes   #3381
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another low-key image of the Bessa R3M...

On the Dial 2 - 4 - 8

Steve
10-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #3382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

On the Dial 2 - 4 - 8

Steve
Me likey. Mine should be here any day. (No Nokton for me though... just an LTM to M adapter )

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 11:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
LOL, I JUST found my long lost micro 110 camera I have been searching for the last few years.

Now I can finally do a 110 family portrait.

I am fairly certain that I don't have a table large enough to do a full family portrait, although I just got an idea that might let me do that trick.
We'll be waiting.

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 11:07 PM ----------

Even my 15mm wouldn't be wide enough in my case. When I croak, they will curse me for leaving them to get rid of all the gear. I just can't resist some of these classics.
I think I can help - I'll PM you my mailing address to pass on to your next-of-kin... We don't want to put them out after all.

10-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #3383
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Me likey. Mine should be here any day. (No Nokton for me though... just an LTM to M adapter )
I will be interested in reading your thoughts regarding handling. I took mine out shooting today and am not falling in love with the controls. The issue might be with the Nokton...it is virtually a pancake and pretty cramped. My LTM → M adapter is going to be here sometime this week so perhaps the J-8 will feel more familiar.

Steve
10-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #3384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to stop this. My third Nikkormat, this one bought for the lens, delivered for C$101. My other two are mint like silver. This black one not quite that standard. The lens made 1974-77
Nice find!

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 08:29 AM ----------

On the Dial 2 - 4 - 8

Steve
Beautiful! Enjoy it!

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 08:31 AM ----------

When I croak, they will curse me for leaving them to get rid of all the gear. I just can't resist some of these classics.
I'm in the same boat!

Phil.
10-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #3385
Veteran Member

10-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #3386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little afraid.
Hell, I'm wondering how far back you will have to stand to get them all in the shot.
10-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #3387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Hell, I'm wondering how far back you will have to stand to get them all in the shot.
I'm not in the same I-need-to-reserve-a-gymnasium boat as some folks around here, but my 20mm is gonna have challenge.
10-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #3388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I pared back but am considering a Petri Color 35, anyone here own one? I almost bought one a few years ago and they are pretty snazzy little guys.
10-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #3389
Veteran Member

Look who's coming to dinner

I will be interested in reading your thoughts regarding handling. I took mine out shooting today and am not falling in love with the controls. The issue might be with the Nokton...it is virtually a pancake and pretty cramped. My LTM → M adapter is going to be here sometime this week so perhaps the J-8 will feel more familiar.

Steve
*Very* initial impressions. Has more heft/weight than I imagined but slightly smaller as well. Overall feels good, very solid, in the hand - not at all plastic-ey. Slightly scrappy in operation - genuinely reminds me of my MX in this way... doesn't have the smooth refinement of some cameras (LX). Feels (again, like the MX) like a boxer, not a martial artist. Mine has a slight fiddliness to the film-door in that it doesn't *quite* seat perfectly but certainly is not loose or rattly.

Have just the Industar-61 mounted on at the moment and I may need to send back the Fotodiox LTM-->M adapter as the tiny indent meant lock it in the mount is *just* shy of being large enough for the tab-latch on the Bessa body to fit in and work properly. A tiny bit of filing may just do the trick.

The RF patch is VERY picky about your eye's angle of view, e.g. if you are slighlty off-center from the finder it practically disappears - this will take some getting used to particularly because I find that I need to angle my gaze just slightly downward to get a good/sharp read on the exposure indication lights at the bottom of the finder. When I'm straight on I see them, just not clearly. I'm sure as I adjust to where the indicators are and their spacing relative to one another it won't really matter if they're dim/blurred (in fact possibly beneficial, less distracting). Frame lines are clear and not distracting. Viewfinder overall.... IT IS BRIGHT AND WONDERFUL. This is practically worth the price of admission. Honestly I was not sure if I'd keep this camera but now in the first hour I'm leaning toward "yes, keep". I adore shooting with a 50mm on the MX, KX, LX variety with that lovely 1:1 both-eyes-open shooting. This replicates that at any focal length used.

I like the feel of the advance lever - again, scrappy and utilitarian but not sloppy whatsoever. I like the feel of the shutter speed dial - not loose, not stiff. The latching/rewind controls seems a little odd to me but again, likely get used to them.

This is my 5 minute review following 30-45 minutes of initial playtime.... aka, don't give it much thought.
Overall I like it quite a bit thus far. Just loaded some Provia into it. Will have a go in the next few days.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 10-05-2015 at 02:29 PM.
10-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #3390
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Mine has a slight fiddliness to the film-door in that it doesn't *quite* seat perfectly but certainly is not loose or rattly.
Mine is the same. The lower left of the film door is sprung out a little, though with film loaded the "play" disappears.

I may need to send back the Fotodiox LTM-->M adapter as the tiny indent meant lock it in the mount is *just* shy of being large enough for the tab-latch on the Bessa body to fit in and work properly.
Hmmmm...I have not gotten my Fotodiox LTM --> M adapter yet. I would not expect that sort of problem. The tab dimensions should be standard to the mount.

The RF patch is VERY picky about your eye's angle of view, e.g. if you are slighlty off-center from the finder it practically disappears
I have not had the problem, but I tend to press my eye pretty close. What I have noticed is that I will probably need a +1 diopter.

I like the feel of the advance lever - again, scrappy and utilitarian but not sloppy whatsoever.
I was a bit put off with the lever feel with the camera empty, but with film tension it comes into its own. The action is cam'ed such that the action is fast and easy even with a short throw. The ratchet works well too.

I have yet to figure out where the shutter release is. I keep trying to push down the shutter dial (long fingers) My FED-2 has very similar dimensions (yes the Bessa is THAT small), but with the FED things fall right to hand. Find the aperture tabs and focus tab on the Nokton 40/1.4 is also a challenge. I have found that folding my left index finger back and using the first knuckle to engage the focus tab (thumb braced against the camera left side works well. I don't even try adjusting the aperture on the fly...too hard to find the pair of aperture tabs. They are prominent enough, just harder to find than a knurled ring.

BTW, that "Zebra" I-61 looks pretty sweet on the Bessa. Did it come with your FED or did you buy it separately? Edit: I just noticed, it is the same lens as in your earlier photo, just looking shinier.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-05-2015 at 04:14 PM.