Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #3796
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new toy.

01-05-2016, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #3797
Pentaxian

I took this today for a new PF "Daily Challenge" ... K-5 with SMC 35/2 wide open ... from my office window. xpost

01-08-2016, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #3798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has been awhile since my last post in this group. But the other day a new item arrived via mail, found it here in Norway. Not to many of these around I think. I have now 2, do I need 2?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #3799
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
It has been awhile since my last post in this group. But the other day a new item arrived via mail, found it here in Norway. Not to many of these around I think. I have now 2, do I need 2?
Nice find there ... and if you need a home for the duplicate, I will sacrifice and volunteer my household.

I say that even though camera storage space is getting scare.

01-08-2016, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #3800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to take another picture. One is nice, but two makes it p0rn?

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nice find there ... and if you need a home for the duplicate, I will sacrifice and volunteer my household.

I say that even though camera storage space is getting scare.

Thanks! With respect to the high cost of living that is very kind of you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #3801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice twins!

Phil.
01-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #3802
Veteran Member

A Kowa Set I owned. It is a hard camera to find in working condition or repair. As it is one of the few leaf shutter SLRs with interchangeable lenses.

01-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #3803
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
A Kowa Set I owned. It is a hard camera to find in working condition or repair. As it is one of the few leaf shutter SLRs with interchangeable lenses.
The Zeis Icon and Kodak Retina SLR are another two with leaf shutters. This arrangement is so complex, that it is no wonder it was dropped. The shutter has to be open to look through the lens, so a blocking plate has to shield the film. Then, on shutter release, the lens shutter has to close before the blocking plate is lifted, then finally the shutter opens for the required time before shutting and allowing the blocking plate to swing down. Once that happens, the shutter can open again so the cycle can repeat. At least that is how I understand it.
01-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #3804
Pentaxian

Lovely pair. Do the motordrives work?
01-10-2016, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #3805
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I took this today for a new PF "Daily Challenge" ... K-5 with SMC 35/2 wide open ... from my office window. xpost

Here's a 10x8 paper negative of a couple of older cousins:

Chris
01-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #3806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Lovely pair. Do the motordrives work?
I need to check. The rechargeable batteries are long gone, and cannot be bought new, but the last find have a holder for AA type batteries included. So I will try for sure.
01-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #3807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The Zeis Icon and Kodak Retina SLR are another two with leaf shutters. This arrangement is so complex, that it is no wonder it was dropped. The shutter has to be open to look through the lens, so a blocking plate has to shield the film. Then, on shutter release, the lens shutter has to close before the blocking plate is lifted, then finally the shutter opens for the required time before shutting and allowing the blocking plate to swing down. Once that happens, the shutter can open again so the cycle can repeat. At least that is how I understand it.
The Zeiss SLR made this complex system work well, primarily because the camera itself was a very convenient compact size, and the f2.8 Tessar was an excellent lens for general photography. Consequently the various manifestations of the Zeiss remained in production for a long time. The other SLR that successfully used leaf shutters was, obviously, Hasselblad. The leaf shutters were valued by fashion photographers for using big studio strobes, and editors liked having the big 21/4 square chromes spread out on a lightbox. There was no instant return mirror, which somewhat simplified the film-shield shutter mechanism. Hasselblad did experiment with a focal plane shutter, but that model was not successful.
01-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #3808
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hasselblad did experiment with a focal plane shutter, but that model was not successful.
Which is, of course, the one that the Soviets decided to copy.
01-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #3809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Which is, of course, the one that the Soviets decided to copy.
Could be because the mechanical design was much simpler, especially because there's no instant-return mirror.
01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #3810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Could be because the mechanical design was much simpler, especially because there's no instant-return mirror.
I've always assumed that's the reason, to be honest. The Contax clones seems to have been about the only place where they decided to stick with a complicated mechanical design. (And then most likely because they got the equipment & technicians to do so. )