Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #3871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Except for a few specks (?) between the shutter speed dial and the prism n d a few other places on the top plate, that MX could almost be fresh out of the box.
If you saw it as it really is you wouldn't say that. It's in pretty good condition but has visibly had some use. I bought it from an ex-professional photographer.

02-05-2016, 12:37 PM - 4 Likes   #3872
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today. My thrift store. Wow ...

02-05-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #3873
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
90mm f1.8? Wow indeed.
02-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #3874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
90mm f1.8? Wow indeed.
Oui ... "Type P1"

An Exakta mount converted to QBM, I think ... still trying to wrap my head around this one.

02-05-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #3875
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Today. My thrift store. Wow ...
Wow indeed!

I've seen some discussions about the desirability of the Angenieux lenses and I understand that is one at the top!
02-05-2016, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #3876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Oui ... "Type P1"

An Exakta mount converted to QBM, I think ... still trying to wrap my head around this one.
FYI Jean in case you did not know. I just went on EBAY and found several copies of this lens on offer (in USD) from about $3100 (with Exacta mount) to over $9500.
02-05-2016, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #3877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1930s Masterpieces

A number of products I'd call Masterpieces were introduced in the 1930s in Germany, and some models were manufactured for decades. Hard to believe in this age of electronics that seem dated in a year.
In 1933 Leica introduced their model III. Then 35mm still photography was called "Leica Photography" because they introduced the first high-quality, successful 24x36mm format still camera in the mid 1920s. Zeiss waited almost 10 years to respond with their Contax, and in spite of their excellent optics, engineering, and quality, the Contax I was not a great tool to use. So in 1936 they introduced the Contax II as a direct and worthy competitor to the Leica III (by then the IIIa was out with a 1/1000 shutter speed). By 1938 the VW Beetle was developed, although few were made in that decade, in favor or military vehicles.
The Leica III and its a, b, c, d, and f improvements was made until the mid 1950s. Even after the Leica M3 was launched in 1954, a new III version (the g) was marketed in 1957 into the 1960s - about 30 years for the basic design.
The Zeiss Contax II was sold to the end of WWII in 1945, but the factory was captured by the Russians and moved to Kiev, where they made the same model into the 1960s.
Of course the VW Beetle lasted in continuous production (somewhere in the world) until 2004 - so it outlived the cameras. (I have a 2001.)
Name:  1930s Masterpieces.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  347.0 KB

02-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #3878
Pentaxian

OK, gentlemen. I need your help.

What do you think ... Exakta mount converted to Rollei QBM ?

Still cannot believe that I found this one at the thrift store ... it was in the bottom of an ugly camera bag which included a working black Nikon FM with an E 50/1.8 attached plus a Tokina 28/2.8 plus a "Popular" brand flash ... plus instruction manuals & brochures in French and German. The bag was 10€ ... and I did not really notice the Angénieux at first. Too excited to find all the Nikon goodies ...

Also, the Rollei SL35 body (before I mounted the Angénieux on it) was originally with a CZ Planar 50/1.8 plus full leather case ... for 5€.

I am pretty sure that the Nikon bag and the Rollei were part of someone's kit and that they came together to the thrift store. Wow, again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-06-2016, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #3879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does look like the lens above the Exakta bayonet was threaded to mount the adapter. There was a T- mount QBM adapter made - perhaps the lens was machined to mount one of those. T mount was M42 x .75mm
02-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #3880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI Jean in case you did not know. I just went on EBAY and found several copies of this lens on offer (in USD) from about $3100 (with Exacta mount) to over $9500.
Thanks W. Appreciated.

I had already "eBay-ed" this Angénieux plus looked at similar copies on "Kevin Camera".

Not quite sure what to do next with this lens.
02-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #3881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
It does look like the lens above the Exakta bayonet was threaded to mount the adapter. There was a T- mount QBM adapter made - perhaps the lens was machined to mount one of those. T mount was M42 x .75mm
Merci.

I am still trying to figure this all out ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-06-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typoop
02-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #3882
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The Zeiss Contax II was sold to the end of WWII in 1945, but the factory was captured by the Russians and moved to Kiev, where they made the same model into the 1960s.Attachment 297743
There were many superior design features on that Contax compared to the Leica: 1) single shutter speed dial; 2) shutter speed dial, winding knob and shutter release all concentric (very elegant); 3) very long base rangefinder, I believe one of the longest in any 35mm rangefinder; 4) index-finger operated focusing wheel with an infinity lock; 5) swing-open back for film loading, MUCH easier to use than the removable back + base plate that Leica stubbornly clung to for so long; 6) a very quick-easy-secure bayonet lens mount while Leica still had a thread; 7) I believe it also had, like the later Contarex, provision for interchangeable backs for switching between film types mid-roll. However, it was big and heavy compared to the Leica, and Leica had established a reputation, and some photographers had become accustomed to the "feel" of a Leica, and the Contax vertical-travel shutter had, at the time, a dubious reputation. So the Contax was never as popular despite it's many very progressive innovations. Zeiss made some outstanding roll-film folding cameras (notably fine: the Super Ikonta C), but the only major success they had in 35mm was the Contaflex.
02-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #3883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I first tried a Contax II in 1968, then found a nice one recently, along with a post-war IIa. Very precise and solid feeling, and impressive features. But a great list of features does not make a great product to use! The convenient finger-focus wheel is only suited for fine focus adjustments as it takes so many strokes to move through the focus range. The combined film wind and shutter speed dial has tiny markings around the side, so takes some manipulating just to see what speed is set, and more effort to lift the knob and align the makings than on the Leica of the same period.
The back is not hinged, but is removed as a unit with the baseplate, which requires twisting locks on both ends of the baseplate (which would also close the light-traps on the two film cassettes that could be used). You can thread the film across the open back easier than Leica, but all together the process is no better.
You can focus very exactly, and the lenses were better than most Leica of the time, but the Leica was friendlier in actual use.
The smaller IIa after the war is a nicer camera in use, with a separate, but still concentric shutter speed dial.
02-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #3884
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like those comments, which more-or-less confirm suspicions that there's more to a camera than it's specifications. Impossible to evaluate ergonomics from a list of features. Also, pardon my error about loading film into the Contax. Should have known a removable back was inevitable if it had interchangeable cassette-type backs, I thought that the shutter speed dial just rotated, that lifting was not necessary. Again my error. I did handle some late model Contax, as I recall the one with a built-in selenium meter, but that was back in the 50's.
02-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #3885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Heh heh heh, good old "Kevin Scam-era." ...
Yeah ... he's VERY proud of his things for sale.

I was looking at his site for the basic lens images and to see the mount(s) ... J