Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #4096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
(Pardon the cross-post, those of you who read RFF.)

Mamiya C330 Professional S + Mamiya-Sekor 135mm f/4.5; MiNT InstantFlex (+ fixed MiNT 61mm f/5.6); Beautyflex Super D (+ fixed Biokor 80mm f/3.5); Rolleiflex 2.8E (+ fixed Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8). The MiNT is new, full stop; and the Beautyflex is new to me.

Photographed with the Sony a7 + adapted MC Rokkor-PF 58 mm f/1.4. Lit with a dim reading lamp; 30sec exposure at ISO 400.

--Dave
I'll comment that the Rollei is a fine walk-about camera that takes superb B&W from that waste-level "Rollei perspective." The Mamiya, IMHO, is a beast that is happiest atop a sturdy tripod. It's as heavy as some 4X5 press cameras, and somewhat clumsier to use hand-held.

05-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #4097
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Mamiya C330 Professional S + Mamiya-Sekor 135mm f/4.5; MiNT InstantFlex (+ fixed MiNT 61mm f/5.6); Beautyflex Super D (+ fixed Biokor 80mm f/3.5); Rolleiflex 2.8E (+ fixed Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8). The MiNT is new, full stop; and the Beautyflex is new to me.

Photographed with the Sony a7 + adapted MC Rokkor-PF 58 mm f/1.4. Lit with a dim reading lamp; 30sec exposure at ISO 400.

--Dave
I'd never heard of a Beautyflex. Entertaining choice of name! One day I'll treat myself to a Rolleiflex but it is hard to justify, really. I have a Yashicamat 124G and rarely use it.

K.
05-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #4098
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'd never heard of a Beautyflex. Entertaining choice of name! One day I'll treat myself to a Rolleiflex but it is hard to justify, really. I have a Yashicamat 124G and rarely use it.

K.
I hadn't heard of the Beautyflex until I saw one for sale locally a couple of months ago and looked it up. Alas, this one had some kind of problem so I didn't buy it.
05-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #4099
Pentaxian

I had heard of a Beautyflex before, but I can't recall why. Perhaps because it was rebadged for other brands occasionally? (Or am I thinking of another TLR?)

05-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #4100
Veteran Member

--Dave
Your Beautyflex is probably very similar to my Toyocaflex.
Different shutters. Does your Beautyflex have a Tri-Lausar viewing lens?

05-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #4101
Veteran Member

my Kodak Reflex II. Don't know how different the Anastar 80mm f3.5 is from the Anastigmat 80mm f3.5 on my original Kodak Reflex

05-13-2016, 02:29 AM   #4102
Veteran Member

Here's mine: Yashica-A. Takes lovely photos - there's something about triplet lenses that does it for me. Also worth mentioning is the Lubitel-2, which is a much smaller and lighter package, and gives much nicer results than its humble nature would suggest.

05-13-2016, 04:16 AM   #4103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Here's mine: Yashica-A. Takes lovely photos - there's something about triplet lenses that does it for me. Also worth mentioning is the Lubitel-2, which is a much smaller and lighter package, and gives much nicer results than its humble nature would suggest.
Some of my favourite photos were taken with my Lubitel 2. Huge guess-work involved in focussing etc., but I rather like the slightly random element involved in using it.

K.
05-14-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #4104

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
K.
Funny thing and complicated story ... so, the Rolleiflex came from my now-ex-wife's family. Upon the divorce, her father very kindly said I should keep it, since I'm the only one among anyone they know who would actually use it. Fast forward a couple of years ... I have a girlfriend and she is now getting into film photography because of me (!!!). She wanted to try a TLR, but was both afraid of the Rolleiflex (for fear of breaking/misusing it, as it is somewhat valuable) and I think she also didn't like its origin much. So I was forming an idea to get her a TLR of her own -- a knockabout, affordable one, maybe a Ricohflex or Yashica. Now the funny part: Last summer, in a Victoria's Secret catalog that came in our mail, she saw a Beautyflex used as a prop in a picture -- being held by one of the busty babes in naughty knickers. She immediately said she wanted one of those cameras, because of its name! (As she likes to be a bit glamorous.) I didn't like the rationale much, but if it meant she would have a TLR that she was really keen on, that worked for me. After trawling eBay for a few months, I found a suitable one, and in fact I like it well enough that I invested in a CLA for it. (It arrived with all shutter speed settings yielding the same speed, about 1/60; now they all run properly.) I'm in it about US$200 altogether now, so yes I realize that with patience I could have had a Rolleicord for less; these are the things we do for our significant others.

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I had heard of a Beautyflex before, but I can't recall why. Perhaps because it was rebadged for other brands occasionally? (Or am I thinking of another TLR?)
Yes, as Wardflex at least (for US retailer Montgomery Ward) and I'm not sure what else. I have not found an instruction book for exactly this model of Beautyflex, but have found one for a Wardflex that appears to be precisely it (other than the nameplate).

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Your Beautyflex is probably very similar to my Toyocaflex.
Different shutters. Does your Beautyflex have a Tri-Lausar viewing lens?
Colton, the viewing lens is indeed a Tri-Lausar. This is among the worst lens names ever ... my immediate mental association with it is "three-time loser." It's right up there with Steinheil's Cassar (think: "broken" based on French) or the Lentar (think: "Slow"). And it gets worse: the shutter is a Rectus. They were probably thinking as in "rectilinear" or something, but I'm not sure it has that association. Yes, I have a Tri-Lausar above my Rectus. Beautyflexen alternatively came with "Synchro-MX" shutters (sounds rather generic) or Copal (now there's one we all know).

The taking lens is a Biokor, which I've read is a Tessar-like formula. It's actually good. (First pic from first pre-CLA test roll here: https://flic.kr/p/DBUYP2). The camera has an auto-advance system, more basic than the Rolleiflex's but serviceable. For a first-time TLR user, I thought it would simplify things to avoid futzing with a red window system.

--Dave
05-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #4105
Veteran Member

Colton, the viewing lens is indeed a Tri-Lausar. This is among the worst lens names ever ... my immediate mental association with it is "three-time loser." It's right up there with Steinheil's Cassar (think: "broken" based on French) or the Lentar (think: "Slow"). And it gets worse: the shutter is a Rectus. They were probably thinking as in "rectilinear" or something, but I'm not sure it has that association. Yes, I have a Tri-Lausar above my Rectus. Beautyflexen alternatively came with "Synchro-MX" shutters (sounds rather generic) or Copal (now there's one we all know).

The taking lens is a Biokor, which I've read is a Tessar-like formula. It's actually good. (First pic from first pre-CLA test roll here: https://flic.kr/p/DBUYP2). The camera has an auto-advance system, more basic than the Rolleiflex's but serviceable. For a first-time TLR user, I thought it would simplify things to avoid futzing with a red window system.

--Dave
Is there anyway you could check if the Biokor is a 4 element design or a triplet?
Most of the off brand Japanese TLRs usually had triplets for viewing and taking lenses. My Toyocaflex has Tri-Lausar for both lenses.
Many of the lenses for these Japanese TLRs were made by Tomioka. The Tri-Lausar was definitely made by Tomioka, but I can't find much info on the Biokor.
My Toyocaflex also has the auto stop film advance with automatic frame counter. I would guess it operates the same as your Beautyflex. Does yours have a advance lock release button located at the center of the advance knob?
FWIW, the Tri-Lausar is a very good lens.

Toyocaflex TLR Type Ib
Tri-Lausar Anastigmat 8cm/3.5
Expired Fujicolor Reala 100 @iso 25
Epson V500
05-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #4106
Veteran Member

Showing off my cool used Kodak Retina IIa. It is the less common version with a Rodenstock Heligon 50mm f2 lens

Two of the photos I took with it.

05-15-2016, 03:21 AM - 3 Likes   #4107
Veteran Member

My current take away kit:

05-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #4108

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Is there anyway you could check if the Biokor is a 4 element design or a triplet?
Most of the off brand Japanese TLRs usually had triplets for viewing and taking lenses. My Toyocaflex has Tri-Lausar for both lenses.
Many of the lenses for these Japanese TLRs were made by Tomioka. The Tri-Lausar was definitely made by Tomioka, but I can't find much info on the Biokor.
My Toyocaflex also has the auto stop film advance with automatic frame counter. I would guess it operates the same as your Beautyflex. Does yours have a advance lock release button located at the center of the advance knob?
FWIW, the Tri-Lausar is a very good lens.
Very interesting, Colton; these similarities are awfully fishy. The Beautyflex indeed has the advance lock button in the film wind knob. Meanwhile: I thought I had read somewhere online that the Biokor was a Tessar forumula, but if so, I can no longer find wherever that was. So I tried doing the "count the light reflections" test, with the shutter held open on Bulb setting, to figure out whether the Biokor is a triplet or four elements. I could only readily see three reflections, but read this fascinating piece from the eminent Rick Oleson: that fourth reflection can be hard to find. In fact when I tried the same on my Rolleiflex with Planar, I saw four, when there should be, I think, five. (It's a 2.8E, so Planars hadn't gone to six yet if I've got that right.) Now I don't know what to think!

--Dave
05-15-2016, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #4109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
My current take away kit:
That's a nice kit, I wouldn't mind taking it away from you (especially the K50/1.2 and the LX).

My usual kit looks quite similar but, alas, it will never fit on a K-1:

(Before you hang me as a traitor: There is one piece of Pentax gear in there!)

On occasion, I'll swap out the 85 & 200 for this little trinket:
05-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #4110
Veteran Member

The hood I assume.

Sometimes I fancy about getting a Minolta XK or XD7, but then I wonder why I should start another system again.