Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #4201
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Actually, there is a photo. If you right click on the broken link into a new tab, the url works.
You are right! I had to "view source" in order to find the img tag, but there was.

They cannot, however, stop a screen grab.
They also cannot stop a persistent user with access to the page image info (gotta love Firefox...no need to wade through the page source).

Steve

06-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #4202

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I'm plenty of FD bodies (two F-1N, one F-1n, a FTbn, an A-1, a T90) but I always been fascinated by these old AF, they feel so 1985...like something taken out from Robotech saga.

It's quite noisy and the AF sounds exactly like the AF cameras on the helmets of the Colonial Marines of Aliens.
F-1 is a beast!!! I doubt that tank would even scratch it Most solid camera body I've ever handled. Looks REAL nice when the black paintwork starts to brass too. Sounds like a nailgun though.

T80 on the otherhand kinda reminds me of this though

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/%22Olympia%22_camera

Last edited by doggy1972; 06-14-2016 at 03:29 PM.
06-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #4203
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doggy1972 Quote
F-1 is a beast!!! I doubt that tank would even scratch it Most solid camera body I've ever handled. Looks REAL nice when the black paintwork starts to brass too. Sounds like a nailgun though.
Yes the first F-1 (actually mine is a 1977 F-1n) is a big, solid, and smooooth camera, probably one of the smoothest I have, it feels more "quality" than anything else, perhaps even more than a Leica M. The problem is that it's enormous, I usually walk for long times looking for subjects and it's a pain, especially with the 55mm f1.2, together they are about 1.5 kg (I weighted them). They are very underrated, I bought mine in pristine conditions for $70 or something like that.

This is my "exploded" F-1n:

here with the daughter:

here you can appreciate the size of the 55mm in my hand:

Yes, it's ludicrously big.

This is my T90 with 35-105 aspherical zoom:

And some paperwork...using that camera gives me an headache.

QuoteQuote:
T80 on the otherhand kinda reminds me of this though

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/%22Olympia%22_camera
To me it reminds this:

Also out in 1985.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 06-14-2016 at 03:43 PM.
06-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #4204

HUGE range of accessories for the F-1 too. VERY nice camera but, jeez its no stealth street shooter. LOUD shutter (well mine was) Got a waist finder with mine as well as the split. Pure quality. Not like the cheap plastic crap they churn out now. Sold it for a handsome profit.
(I do like Canon though, there I said it )

06-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #4205
Veteran Member

HUGE range of accessories for the F-1 too. VERY nice camera but, jeez its no stealth street shooter. LOUD shutter (well mine was) Got a waist finder with mine as well as the split. Pure quality. Not like the cheap plastic crap they churn out now. Sold it for a handsome profit.
(I do like Canon though, there I said it )
Mine is the quietest SLR I have, even quieter than the LX. The mirror is marvelously damped (like the Ftb as well, they have it mounted on two springs).

The T80 is a scary noisy thing with a sort of alarm beep when it nails focus...which is rare.
06-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #4206

Mine is the quietest SLR I have, even quieter than the LX. The mirror is marvelously damped (like the Ftb as well, they have it mounted on two springs).

The T80 is a scary noisy thing with a sort of alarm beep when it nails focus...which is rare.
Maybe they fixed the mirror slap on the F-1n (?) Mine was just an F-1 (MK1)
The T series Canons are VERY ugly cameras. From reading about it, they seem to have trashed the FD T series lenses and started again with EOS. Probably for good reason.
06-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #4207
Veteran Member

Maybe they fixed the mirror slap on the F-1n (?) Mine was just an F-1 (MK1)
The T series Canons are VERY ugly cameras. From reading about it, they seem to have trashed the FD T series lenses and started again with EOS. Probably for good reason.
I like the industrial design of the T80 (very sci-fi of the middle 80s, that means Robotech to me) and the organic design of the T90 from Colani, here you can see some of his other work, including the medium format Canon 645 that didn't make to production and the T99, which looks like a combination of the T80 with the T90:

The Bulging, Twisty Future, As Imagined by Designer Luigi Colani

The EOS AF system with the servomotors in the lens instead of in the body appears to be a development of the T80, but they diameter of the mount became much bigger, evidently they needed more electronic connections between body and lens.

The main problem of the T80 is that it's a camera designed for amateurs who wanted to have more automation as possible, there are just five programs, you don't know at what f stop and shutter speed you are shooting...besides that it feels better in the hand than in the pictures. Actually the "skin" feels better than the T90s.

06-14-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4208

I like the industrial design of the T80 (very sci-fi of the middle 80s, that means Robotech to me) and the organic design of the T90 from Colani, here you can see some of his other work, including the medium format Canon 645 that didn't make to production and the T99, which looks like a combination of the T80 with the T90:

The EOS AF system with the servomotors in the lens instead of in the body appears to be a development of the T80, but they diameter of the mount became much bigger, evidently they needed more electronic connections between body and lens.

The main problem of the T80 is that it's a camera designed for amateurs who wanted to have more automation as possible, there are just five programs, you don't know at what f stop and shutter speed you are shooting...besides that it feels better in the hand than in the pictures. Actually the "skin" feels better than the T90s.
Not REALLY a big fan of Colani's stuff but, spose that personal taste. TBH, I've never touched a T series so, I can't judge too well. I'm sure you can still take good photos with them even with all that automation. I own some EOS kit and, despite all the plastic, I quite like it. The Elan II is quite a nice full featured camera and dead quiet, to say it has a motor drive (gotta love that eye control hehe) E-TTL as well.

---------- Post added 06-15-16 at 12:38 AM ----------

Sold just recently.

Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8

Tokina 17mm f/3.5

---------- Post added 06-15-16 at 12:48 AM ----------

OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

Last edited by doggy1972; 06-14-2016 at 04:54 PM.
06-14-2016, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4209
Veteran Member

just a lil cross-processed Sensia200 goodness to feature this strapping fine lad.

pentax mx | m 28/2.8 | fujichrome sensia 200 xpro | pakon f135 scan
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MZ-S  Photo 
06-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #4210
Pentaxian

Not bad colours at all for cross-processing. A bit orange-ish, but still fairly recognizable.
06-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #4211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Not bad colours at all for cross-processing. A bit orange-ish, but still fairly recognizable.
For the most part I let the Pakon figure out what it wanted to do - I bump the sliders on some frames but can't really remember which was which. This one has that slight orange like you mention which I think were the original Pakon "interpretation".
06-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #4212
Pentaxian

That is some ugly design there. I quite like some of the 80s cameras - I have a Pentax SFXn which is big, heavy, ugly - but it's extremely comfortable to hold (and goes to 1/4000s which is handy). I also have a Ricoh X-RM which is similar (not quite so ugly) and very comfortable due to the big grip (which has four AAs in it).

Not REALLY a big fan of Colani's stuff but, spose that personal taste. TBH, I've never touched a T series so, I can't judge too well. I'm sure you can still take good photos with them even with all that automation. I own some EOS kit and, despite all the plastic, I quite like it. The Elan II is quite a nice full featured camera and dead quiet, to say it has a motor drive (gotta love that eye control hehe) E-TTL as well.[COLOR="Silver"]
The Elan II is the EOS 30 (I think), which is quite nice. Very DSLR-like in appearance and operation and AF is miles ahead of that found in Pentax's film SLRs.
06-15-2016, 01:18 AM   #4213

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That is some ugly design there. I quite like some of the 80s cameras - I have a Pentax SFXn which is big, heavy, ugly - but it's extremely comfortable to hold (and goes to 1/4000s which is handy). I also have a Ricoh X-RM which is similar (not quite so ugly) and very comfortable due to the big grip (which has four AAs in it).

The Elan II is the EOS 30 (I think), which is quite nice. Very DSLR-like in appearance and operation and AF is miles ahead of that found in Pentax's film SLRs.
The Elan II is the EOS 50. My version is the Elan IIe with eye control which, works surprisingly well (for me) The autofocus really surprised me. Snappy and responsive. Quite a bargain for the prices they sell for these days and, my E-TTL flashes work with it. Usually like mechanical things but, this all electronic plastic camera just...works. Quiet as a mouse (mirror and motor drive are virtually inaudible)
06-15-2016, 03:58 AM   #4214

Actually, there is a photo. If you right click on the broken link into a new tab, the url works. The url is apparently https://www.instagram.com/p/BEbBvvetc1F/ , and it doesn't work in a forum [ img ] tag. They have an "embed code", though, but it's full of javascript. They are apparently trying to stop folks from stealing the photos off of instagram. The source for the photo is also a javascript class. They cannot, however, stop a screen grab. Here it is:
Thanks so much!! I didn't have a copy of the original in my phone so that had to do!
06-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #4215
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The T series Canons are VERY ugly cameras.
There is a Pentax equivalent, though without the saving grace of AF:

Intended as competition for the T50/T70 I remember when all three were on the shelves at the local camera store and my buddy and I just stared and shook our heads. Ugly on the shelf, clumsy in the hand, and cheap feeling.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2016 at 10:11 AM.