Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #4336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Just got, today, these two beauties...

Cheers
Is that your first LX? You're going to be blown away with what it can do, if so. I have mine out and about for the first time in a long while. I forgot how good it was.

08-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #4337
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Just got, today, these two beauties...

Cheers
At some point, please post pictures from and your impression of the Petri as well. I pondered buying one back in the day, but settled on a Ricoh Singlex TLS instead.

Steve
08-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #4338

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Is that your first LX? You're going to be blown away with what it can do, if so. I have mine out and about for the first time in a long while. I forgot how good it was.
Actually yes it is! Just a great slr

---------- Post added 08-03-16 at 12:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At some point, please post pictures from and your impression of the Petri as well. I pondered buying one back in the day, but settled on a Ricoh Singlex TLS instead.

Steve
Sure, I will but it will take some time, though. Great feeling holding it.

The one I have is in excellent condition, with its 55/1.8 and original ever ready case. Mechanically, it looks and sounds fine. The metering works well too, though I think it overexposes by about 1 EV (I have to check it better). I have used a zinc air battery that fits in just perfectly. Light seals need to be replaced (I will do it tomorrow). I don't know how to change the mirror bumper since there apparently is no easy access to, oh well, will see. The one and only thing that I dislike is a very pale haze inside the viewfinder.

Anyhow, it is a simple camera. Full manual... but also has shutter priority programme! From 1/500 to 1/2 s, + B. Up to 800 iso and self timer.

Last edited by vrolok; 08-02-2016 at 08:09 PM.
08-03-2016, 01:03 AM - 3 Likes   #4339
Pentaxian

I love taking viewfinder pics of my Yashica Mat 124Gs

IMGP2764a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

08-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #4340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I love taking viewfinder pics of my Yashica Mat 124Gs

IMGP2764a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
The Yashica TLRs are suprisingly capable cameras. Especially the Yashinon lens models. I love both of mine, I have a Yashicamat 124 and a Yashica 635. The latter, I think I am keeping for good. The other is getting traded to someone for some other gear. I have the Mamiya TLR now and I simply don't need 3.
08-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #4341

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
I'll have the first roll finished today. I cant get the 135mm to stop down and the cameras flacking some foam from some where, but at the price I got everything for I have no complaints.
EJM, what model is that Bronica? S2? S2A? Your kit looks a lot like mine. I just got back from lugging the body, the 50/3.5, and 75 around Spain for 10 days, and am about ready to find some lighter medium-format kit! Although I love this thing, it gets heavy (especially with that outrageous 50) after a full day about town with it. I didn't even bring my eye-level finder (due to its additional weight) and regretted it as there were a few cases where I was standing at chest- or neck-level fences and rails, and wished I could have shot from eye level.

The camera did result in a funny situation when it caught the attention of Madrid's Policia Municipal whilst I walked around a city park. This was pretty quickly straightened out with the help of my Spanish-speaking fiancée; the police were more curious than suspicious. When we told them we were headed onward to Barcelona soon, they warned of us the pickpockets and other petty crime there. I demonstrated swinging the Bronica (on neck strap) as a weapon, much to their entertainment.

--Dave
08-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #4342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
EJM, what model is that Bronica? S2? S2A? Your kit looks a lot like mine. I just got back from lugging the body, the 50/3.5, and 75 around Spain for 10 days, and am about ready to find some lighter medium-format kit! Although I love this thing, it gets heavy (especially with that outrageous 50) after a full day about town with it. I didn't even bring my eye-level finder (due to its additional weight) and regretted it as there were a few cases where I was standing at chest- or neck-level fences and rails, and wished I could have shot from eye level.

The camera did result in a funny situation when it caught the attention of Madrid's Policia Municipal whilst I walked around a city park. This was pretty quickly straightened out with the help of my Spanish-speaking fiancée; the police were more curious than suspicious. When we told them we were headed onward to Barcelona soon, they warned of us the pickpockets and other petty crime there. I demonstrated swinging the Bronica (on neck strap) as a weapon, much to their entertainment.

--Dave
Dave,
I'm sure you've been down to Biggs and perused the used MF stuff. When I came down off the Mtn. last week the showcase was practically clean of MF. Check the used stuff in the back hallway for Bronica lens/body caps and other accessories that don't make it to the showroom cases. Those folks appreciate MF and seem to get lots of pieces in.

Lou

08-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #4343
Pentaxian

One good thing about the Yashica Mat 124G is that it's smaller and lighterthan the majority of capable TLRs, which allows me to travel with it. I think it weighs around half of what my Pentax 645 & 75/2.8 lens would, and is a much easier to pack shape.
08-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #4344
Pentaxian

New toy for the MX. I've heard very mixed reviews on the M28/f2.8, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Hard to argue with the size and price though

08-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #4345
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
New toy for the MX. I've heard very mixed reviews on the M28/f2.8, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Hard to argue with the size and price though
The M 28/2.8 is decent lens, but is also sort of an enigma. It was originally priced below the equivalent Vivitar (both less than $50 USD, new) and about half that of the Adaptall-2 28/2.5 from Tamron. (I was in the market at the time and bought the Tamron )

Steve
08-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #4346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The M28/2.8 was my second lens and I used it for about 20 years shooting slides and some BW. It is only with the advent of easy access to cheaper second-hand gear and pixel-peeping on digital, or even on scans of negs, that I have moved away from it, but not really for any logical reason. I tend to grab my K30/2.8 most often, but mainly because I can...
08-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #4347

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Dave,
I'm sure you've been down to Biggs and perused the used MF stuff. When I came down off the Mtn. last week the showcase was practically clean of MF. Check the used stuff in the back hallway for Bronica lens/body caps and other accessories that don't make it to the showroom cases. Those folks appreciate MF and seem to get lots of pieces in.

Lou
Lou, I work 10 minutes from Biggs so it's a little too easy to go there. That's where I get color processing done, and I peek into the used case every time I'm there. I do know about the graveyard in the back hallway, and bought a couple of secondhand filters there this week since I absent-mindedly left a filter wallet on a cathedral pew in Barcelona the week before. (I realized this 10 minutes later and went back for it, but I'm sure a passing opportunist non-photographer probably found it, thought it was a wallet wallet, and made off with it, so it was gone by then. They were surely disappointed to find 67mm and 82mm yellow filters, not 50 and 100 euro notes!)

--Dave
08-06-2016, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #4348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I tend to grab my K30/2.8 most often, but mainly because I can
The M28/2.8, like most M lenses, does mate well with M bodies. MX plus the 28 or M50 can slip into a jacket pocket easily. I find a good walk around M lens kit for general purpose and travel ease is 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 40-80/2.8-4, and 75-150/4 or 150/3.5. There isn't much particularly wrong with the M28 and a few other M lenses but they just don't have the feel, balance,apparent build quality, and image rendering of the short lived K line up. My preference is usually the notably heavier and larger K bodies and lenses for landscape and nature with K30/2.8 always part of the kit. I usually like a slower, deliberate approach to these subjects and will accept the added weight of a bag of K's including some combination of lenses from 15mm to 300mm with ext tubes or bellows...maybe because I can.
08-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #4349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had mine for years. I replaced it a few weeks ago with an A that is optically identical because I use it a lot with flash, and non-A lenses are a pain...

It isn't brilliant wide open, but it is at f5.6 and decent at f4. I have no complaints but the automation...

Maybe I've just always liked the M lenses....

- Eric
08-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #4350

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote

--Dave
I already own an s2a, this recent acquisition doesn't have the model after the serial number, but based on the film advance nob I believe that it is also a s2a. If you do use the eye level viewfinder It is quite the arm workout to hold the camera that high.