Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #4351
Pentaxian

Having owned both versions of the M 28/2.8 and now the A 28/2.8 I can tell you that the relatively high ratings they have in the reviews here are not deserved - they render very flat images and aren't sharp wide open. Of course, they can produce excellent images in the right hands and conditions but other lenses can do so much better. I may keep the A because it's mint and the A setting could be very handy but in general I'd recommend the M 28mm f/3.5 over any of them, and the K 28/3.5 is even better, but a lot bigger and heavier.

08-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #4352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Having owned both versions of the M 28/2.8 and now the A 28/2.8 I can tell you that the relatively high ratings they have in the reviews here are not deserved - they render very flat images and aren't sharp wide open. Of course, they can produce excellent images in the right hands and conditions but other lenses can do so much better. I may keep the A because it's mint and the A setting could be very handy but in general I'd recommend the M 28mm f/3.5 over any of them, and the K 28/3.5 is even better, but a lot bigger and heavier.
That's basically the impression I got for both the M and A 2.8's...

We'll see, I reckon I'll hang onto it if only for the portability on the MX - about as close as you'll get to 'pocketable' with a 35mm SLR
08-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #4353

Photos: Albums
I have wanted to try out the m 28 3.5. I have used the 2.8 a lot and it's a dog at infinity but pretty damn good clooser in. I wonder if other lenses are like this other than macros.
08-09-2016, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #4354

My haul from the Adelaide camera stores

Recently I went on a road trip to Adelaide, and one of the camera stores down there had a bit of a sale on. I am the proud new owner of an Agfa Optima 1 dating from the 1960s, and some m42 and Pentax K extension tubes... fun stuff!

08-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #4355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This example was taken with the first version 28MMf2.8 in 1981. This is a scan of film, but I am quite happy with the results of this lens.
[IMG][/IMG]
08-10-2016, 12:56 AM - 3 Likes   #4356
Pentaxian

Interesting discussion going on with the 28mm, although not particularly helpful... Some say it's good, some say it's terrible! Oh well, I'll just have to shoot and make up my own mind.

Anyway, this arrived today (the LX anyway, the M50 has been hanging around for a while...)

08-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #4357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Interesting discussion going on with the 28mm, although not particularly helpful... Some say it's good, some say it's terrible! Oh well, I'll just have to shoot and make up my own mind.

Anyway, this arrived today (the LX anyway, the M50 has been hanging around for a while...)

Nice. Sometimes I think I should sell off a lot of my 35mm SLRs and just spend the money on an LX, everybody raves about it.

The 28/2.8s aren't terrible, they're just very "meh", as people say - not terrible, not great, they generally produce photos that are a bit dull. Having said that, I used the A 28/2.8 a little the other evening and it did fine (though the bokeh is the roughest I've ever seen).

08-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #4358
Pentaxian

Nice. Sometimes I think I should sell off a lot of my 35mm SLRs and just spend the money on an LX, everybody raves about it.
I've had a bit of a love/hate thing with the LX. I got one a few years ago and got bitten hard, ended up spending significantly more than the value of the camera on fixes, and then sold it in frustration. I've kinda avoided them since and used MX's when I wanted to shoot an SLR. It's nice to get back on the horse though, and I think this one is a winner (touch wood)
08-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #4359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used the A 28/2.8 a little the other evening and it did fine (though the bokeh is the roughest I've ever seen).
Yeah I just ran a roll through my LX this morning, using my new A28/2.8. I believe it has different optics than the M28/2.8 V1, but so far I find my "K" series 28mm-30mm lenses to be better overall.

Will see how this mornings shots turn out, but I doubt my opinion will change much.

Phil.
08-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #4360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I think just the very fact that I didn't see the juxtaposition until you pointed it out is proof that the ad men are right
Perfume buyer (subconscious)

1. Hmmmm. Not only might I look like her, but the man who picks me up might take me there.
2. Yeah, it's for my wife. But I can dream.
08-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #4361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I've had a bit of a love/hate thing with the LX. I got one a few years ago and got bitten hard, ended up spending significantly more than the value of the camera on fixes, and then sold it in frustration. I've kinda avoided them since and used MX's when I wanted to shoot an SLR. It's nice to get back on the horse though, and I think this one is a winner (touch wood)
Though I use my KX more than the others for sentimental reasons (I learned on that camera and everything just comes to hand as it should), I enjoy a day with my LX more than any other 'chosen camera' day because, well, it's an LX day. *

* sometimes I wonder if I am indulging a subconscious Sultan and His Harem fantasy with all these cameras and lenses.
08-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #4362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Recently I went on a road trip to Adelaide, and one of the camera stores down there had a bit of a sale on. I am the proud new owner of an Agfa Optima 1 dating from the 1960s, and some m42 and Pentax K extension tubes... fun stuff!

Nice find! Am I to guess that the close-ups of the Agfa were made with the help of extension tubes?
08-11-2016, 05:04 AM   #4363

Nice find! Am I to guess that the close-ups of the Agfa were made with the help of extension tubes?
Thanks! Yeah, I needed to ..umm.. test them out
08-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #4364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Thanks! Yeah, I needed to ..umm.. test them out
Using your gear is what it's for. Be proud of having done so
08-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #4365

Using your gear is what it's for. Be proud of having done so
They've already been promoted to my camera bag! Haha