Early birthday present.
Nice - great combo there.
08-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #4383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
A quick lineup of family hand me downs.

I hope to clean up and test the 3 120 format fella's - if I do I will post some better pictures.
Look forward to what these can do. What format are they? Size 6x9, 6x6?

---------- Post added 22-08-16 at 10:02 ----------

The old folders require a presence of mind:
1) Open, and advance the film with the wind knob.
2) cock the shutter,
3) estimate the focus distance.
4) estimate exposure to set aperture and
5) set speed.
After exposure advance film if you don't want to risk a double exposure.
Remember that a half press will lock out the release on cameras that use this method to prevent double exposures.
08-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #4384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Remember that a half press will lock out the release on cameras that use this method to prevent double exposures.
Thanks for the process and the double exposure tips Arnold, that will be very helpful.

I've found a few double exposed negatives in the collection of images shot on these cameras. And I've done that myself - image below is a crop from a commercially processed roll of 116 shot in 1972 with the Kodak 1A Autographic Junior on the right when I was taking a photography course in school.

In order from left to right the others are all 120 format - Kodak No. 2 Brownie Model F, Agfa Billy Record, Voigtlander Bessa RF. I believe they will all produce 6 x 9 images. It is my understanding the Bessa had a mask you could insert for 6 x 4.5 but I don't have that with mine.

I've found someone locally who will process 120 B&W for me. Hoping to do some retro photography at a fall harvest festival on the Labour Day weekend. My plan is to check out the bellows on the Agfa and Bessa before then and be sure I can rig up a tripod or monopod. I have some 1972 handheld shots from the Kodak 1A taken indoors that are not very sharp.

I've been really surprised by the quality of some of the images from the cameras given the right conditions. I think I am lucky to have them, and also to have some of the prints and negatives they have produced.

If I produce anything worthwhile I'll start a new thread in one of the other areas so I don't steer this one off any more than I already have.

Attached Images

08-22-2016, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #4385
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Look forward to what these can do. What format are they? Size 6x9, 6x6?

---------- Post added 22-08-16 at 10:02 ----------

The old folders require a presence of mind:
1) Open, and advance the film with the wind knob.
2) cock the shutter,
3) estimate the focus distance.
4) estimate exposure to set aperture and
5) set speed.
I have a bunch of the old folders with 120 film.

To prevent double exposures and to prevent the bellows from sucking the film away from the focus plane,
After every shot that I know will not be a double exposure, I advance the film just beyond where I can see the number in the window. NOT to the next number, just beyond the number that I just shot.

Doing this, by looking at the window, I KNOW I shot the last frame and I must advance to the next number.
By advancing the film to the next number AFTER extending the bellows, I prevent the vacuum sucking the film off the focus plane.
If I look at the window, and it's on a number, I can take the shot. If it's blank, I need to advance.

If you WANT a double exposure, you can trip the shutter, even with a double lock, with a cable on some, and by manually tripping the shutter release on the lens on all of the ones I have.

The trick is to ALWAYS advance off the number after EVERY shot.

Mine are 6x9 and 6x4.5, my 6x6 cameras are Yashica TLRs which require a different technique.
08-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #4386
Veteran Member

All this folder talk is giving me GAS for a folding rangefinder, like a Bessa II.

I should throw a roll in my Kodak Autographic Brownie No. 2, but I need to fix the red window first. It fell off
08-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #4387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
All this folder talk is giving me GAS for a folding rangefinder, like a Bessa II.

I should throw a roll in my Kodak Autographic Brownie No. 2, but I need to fix the red window first. It fell off
my Zeiss Ikon Contessa remains my favorite camera ever.

08-23-2016, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #4388
Veteran Member

Oooh ... just back in time for folder talk. That's a great method, Mike. I think I'll adopt it entirely! I need to bust out my Franka folders again... it's been a few months since I shot them. Too long.
08-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #4389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the FED-2 had a damaged shutter curtain, very bad light leak. The seller returned (most of) my money and I have a parts camera and a lens and a case. Still trolling for a good one.
08-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #4390
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have finally got my /Humble/ setup (Just MX is missing)

---------- Post added 08-24-16 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wbsmith200 Quote

Early birthday present.
You will love it
08-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #4391
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Well, the FED-2 had a damaged shutter curtain, very bad light leak. The seller returned (most of) my money and I have a parts camera and a lens and a case. Still trolling for a good one.
Welcome to the world of FSU self-repair!! You can buy shutter curtain material and there are instructions on how replace on the Web. Aki-Asahi is a decent source:

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/curtains/shutter-curtain.php

...and instructions on how to make the curtains (two parts):

Make shutter part 1
Make shutter part 2

Steve

(...my self-repair list: 1) adjust FED-2 rangefinder, 2) Relube Helios 44M, 3) Relube M42 Jupiter-9, 4) Relube Contax/Kiev Jupiter-9, 5) Reskin Zorki 4-K, 4) fix wobbly LTM Industar-61...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2016 at 10:24 AM.
08-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #4392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the world of FSU self-repair!! You can buy shutter curtain material and there are instructions on how replace on the Web. Aki-Asahi is a decent source:

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/curtains/shutter-curtain.php

...and instructions on how to make the curtains (two parts):

Make shutter part 1
Make shutter part 2

Steve

(...my self-repair list: 1) adjust FED-2 rangefinder, 2) Relube Helios 44M, 3) Relube M42 Jupiter-9, 4) Relube Contax/Kiev Jupiter-9, 5) Reskin Zorki 4-K, 4) fix wobbly LTM Industar-61...)
I am NOT good at camera repair. I basically might as well throw all the screws away considering how quickly I lose them.

Might be worth it to pay someone, though.
08-24-2016, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #4393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not from the pentax family but I'm quite gruntled about this camera.

08-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #4394
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Not from the pentax family but I'm quite gruntled about this camera.
Wow. That's a thing of beauty
08-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #4395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow. That's a thing of beauty
Agreed. Some cameras from the wood-brass-bellows era were the work of fine craftsmen.