Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #4396
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Not from the pentax family but I'm quite gruntled about this camera.
Is this a kit-built camera?

Steve

08-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #4397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I am NOT good at camera repair. I basically might as well throw all the screws away considering how quickly I lose them.

Might be worth it to pay someone, though.
I've learned to accept some... uhhhh... "eccentricities" when it comes to FSU cameras.

How is the shutter curtain on your Fed-2 damaged? I had a nice sized portion material from the rubberized side missing on the trailing curtain of one of my Zorkis. I filled it in with two careful sessions of liquid E-tape application. Worked perfectly.
08-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #4398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone! It's a Bender 4x5. It could have been a kit, I'm not sure. I do a fair bit of wood working, I love that I can repair most things that go wrong with this camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

---------- Post added 08-24-16 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Agreed. Some cameras from the wood-brass-bellows era were the work of fine craftsmen.
While it is completely impractical, bringing an image into focus with it is so wonderful. If only I was retired.
08-24-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not from the pentax family but I'm quite gruntled about this camera.
Now THAT is a full frame camera.

08-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #4400

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Apparently, yes. BENDER 4X5: Building a View Camera | LBcustom Photography
08-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #4401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
1st, Auto Takumar 85mm f/1.9, redone in Zebra trim. This one is fully re-anodized with lathe sanding of the knurling for the zebra effect:
That looks so good. The quality of camera and lens shines through. I think that one day the appeal of the manual cameras of the 50's,60's and 70's will be more fully recognized.
08-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #4402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I am NOT good at camera repair. I basically might as well throw all the screws away considering how quickly I lose them.
One of Peter's principles: The smallest and most valuable part will roll to the most inaccessible spot on the workshop floor.

08-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #4403
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone! It's a Bender 4x5. It could have been a kit, I'm not sure. I do a fair bit of wood working, I love that I can repair most things that go wrong with this camera.

---------- Post added 08-24-16 at 06:32 PM ----------

While it is completely impractical, bringing an image into focus with it is so wonderful. If only I was retired.
The Jay Bender cameras were originally sold as kits. I had one, myself. I have a Toko 4x5, a wood and brass deal, from the 90s. It's really well made. The Jay Bender design is a really good compromise of simplicity, light weight, and full movements.
08-25-2016, 03:00 AM   #4404
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
A couple of lenses I recently refinished for another PF member:

1st, Auto Takumar 85mm f/1.9, redone in Zebra trim. This one is fully re-anodized with lathe sanding of the knurling for the zebra effect:

And secondly, the one everyone joked about before is now a real thing. The refinished SMC Pentax-F* 400mm f/4.
This one was actually mostly a strip job, since there was already black anodizing under the paint on most of the components, so the client skipped re-anodizing to save money. There are also some painted portions, as well as anodized accent pieces (e.g. the gunmetal filter holder and hold aperture ring). The Pentax logos are custom cut decals. The pyramid grip was scavenged from various donor lenses.

Really impressive job ! Congrats!
08-26-2016, 07:18 AM - 3 Likes   #4405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey

It has been awhile since my last post here on the Forum. But a package that came in thru the door today, all the way from Australia, made me want to share. It is a Asahi Pentax S1 with its original Auto-Tak 55mm f2.2. Both are in black version.

The S1 was the low cost alternative in 1961-1963, and it was sold only outside of Japan (Honeywell Petnax H1 in the US). According to the ultimate guide, some 46 500 cameras were produced. A really low number, 4th lowest, with the S, AP and K beeing the other three in numerical order. To compare, the S3, which was the top-of-the-line in the periode, had a production run of some 360 000 cameras.

I've seen the chrom version around, and they don't fetch to much money on eBay. But then I came across a black version with its matching black ringed lens. I had to have that camera. Not cheap but.... There are no dents, hardly any scratces.. It looks great. Shutter fires, but the timings is off. Think I will try to exercise it some.

Does anyone else here on the forum have a black S1?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #4406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Does anyone else here on the forum have a black S1?
Not I, but I was looking at the Leica Shop website yesterday and they just got one in. Yours looks like it's in great shape, nice find!

Pentax S1 black - 35mm Cameras - Pentax

Phil.
08-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #4407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Not I, but I was looking at the Leica Shop website yesterday and they just got one in. Yours looks like it's in great shape, nice find!

Phil.
That's two nice black S1's ... I have not cruised their site in a long time, but just found this.

Rip off !!! Obvious re-build using a black and chrome body. I have a real black one and know the difference ...

Minolta SRT MC black - 35mm SLR Cameras (MF) - Minolta / Sony
08-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #4408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The Jay Bender cameras were originally sold as kits. I had one, myself. I have a Toko 4x5, a wood and brass deal, from the 90s. It's really well made. The Jay Bender design is a really good compromise of simplicity, light weight, and full movements.
Cool. I really like it, it's nice to look at. I have my reservations about the joinery, but it's nice that if I break a piece, I can pump a new one out with my tablesaw and router, or repair an existing one with some fiberglass or something.
08-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #4409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
£420? Wow. That is expensive. I paid around £130 plus postage and import duties. I thougt that was a lot for a S1. The Leica Shop is including the wrong lens, the S1 was only sold with Auto-Tak 55mm f/2.2 and not a super-TAK. Not important but.
08-26-2016, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4410
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Rip off !!! Obvious re-build using a black and chrome body. I have a real black one and know the difference ...
Well, if that is not a shocker. Leicashop is one of the most expensive and snooty merchants on the Web. Have you contacted them regarding the mis-listed Minolta?

BTW...just noticed that the lens is wrong for the camera as well. Wrong and sort of interesting in that it predates the body by three lens generations and lacks meter coupling.*

Steve

* The body would have been sold with a MC Rokkor/Rokkor X (later version) or Minolta Celtic lens (edit: There were no Celtic fast 50s or normal zoom)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-26-2016 at 01:31 PM.