Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #4591
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took these guys to the Renn Faire. Yashica 635 and Leica M2, and the film they shot up while I was there on Saturday

Sorry for the clutter and the low-quality photo, but I wanted to share and didn't have time to set anything better up.

10-24-2016, 01:25 AM - 5 Likes   #4592
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I borrowed a friend's 75/4.5 very briefly last year. I really like the images I got with it. My favorite focal length for 135 format is 35mm, so 75 makes some sense.
Lately I've just been using my 45 and 200 though
I love 35mm on a 35mm camera as well and thought the 75 would really grab me, but on the 6x7 and the way i shoot it, its not the same. The different aspect ratio might be it. Or the 6x7 not really being so good for street

QuoteQuote:
They're great cameras. Big though
Its not *that* big.

10-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #4593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm thinking about adding the 75/4.5
I know it costs a lot more, but the 67 75/2.8 is a much better all around lens if you really like the 75mm FL on 6x7.

Phil.
10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #4594
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I know it costs a lot more, but the 67 75/2.8 is a much better all around lens if you really like the 75mm FL on 6x7.

Phil.
Some of us can't justify the price hike, bo matter how good it is. I keep thinking that lens would make my 35-equivalent dreams come true for the 6x7, but it costs more than my entire current 6x7 kit.

10-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #4595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Some of us can't justify the price hike, bo matter how good it is. I keep thinking that lens would make my 35-equivalent dreams come true for the 6x7, but it costs more than my entire current 6x7 kit.
Yep the 67 75/2.8AL is not cheap, kind of like the FA Limiteds in the smaller 35mm format.

Though you can get the 67 75/2.8 sometimes cheaper than the FA31/1.8.

Phil.
10-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #4596
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am MUCH more impressed with this monster lens after I fixed the T-Mount Adapter with J-B Weld.

Digital, with hand held manual focus at 800mm, Rokinon 650-1300mm zoom.

10-28-2016, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thought I'd post up v2.0 of my 4x5 box camera. Some nice refinements over v1, still a work in progress though.

10-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #4598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Thought I'd post up v2.0 of my 4x5 box camera. Some nice refinements over v1, still a work in progress though.
Very interesting! Tell us more about it?
10-28-2016, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #4599
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Very interesting! Tell us more about it?
Thanks! I built it to use my wide angle 65mm lens, which won't play with my bender 4x5 without sourcing bag bellows. It is two wooden, boxes, one within the other. There's a t slot track epoxied into a dado in the one that I use a knob to tighten together to affix the two after focusing. You focus by sliding the one box in and out of the other.

My hope is that I can also use it for my 90mm lens, although to make the box narrow enough for a 65mm lens, you aren't left with a lot of room for expansion. In the future I might make a more "bender" like camera with standards for wide angle lenses.

I have a friend with a CNC laser cutter, the lens board is cut from it - the two pieces of aluminum on the front affix the board and let me change them out.

Here's the crude (but effective!) film holder on the back. I need to cut a hole in it to make it easier to hold in my home made ground glass.

Btw, that is a really nice looking LF camera you have there!

10-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #4600
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Behold! The light-tight box!!!

Love the focus mechanism, by the way.

Steve
10-28-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #4601
Veteran Member

In honor of Red Oktober, a couple of snaps of my two favorite FSU cameras in my little (finally not growing any longer) collection.

---------- Post added 10-28-16 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep the 67 75/2.8AL is not cheap, kind of like the FA Limiteds in the smaller 35mm format.

Though you can get the 67 75/2.8 sometimes cheaper than the FA31/1.8.

Phil.
This lens has been on my want list ever since I began using the 75/4.5 regularly about a year ago. Unfortunately that was around the same time I was laid of my salaried job so uneasy contracting just hasn't allowed me to bite this bullet. Based on my love of both the 75/4.5 and the 105/2.4, I'd wager the 75/2.8AL would rarely leave my 67's mount. Someday.
10-28-2016, 06:01 PM - 13 Likes   #4602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
So tempted to pick one of these up at some point...
How to get started on a Pentax 6x7 set up:

1) Buy a pair of dumbbells. Say 5kg each at least.
2) Alterate training arm strength with looking for a Pentax 67 with random lens (or body only). Have patience and you will be able to get a working copy for <150 Euro. Your arms not strong enough anyway.
3) Meanwhile also buy any 120mm film you get hold of...especially all the expired inexpensive film sold by people that appears to be wise enough to have kept it cold and dark. Fill your own freezer.
4) Now you got that Pentax 6x7 you dreamt about.
5) If it didn't come with a lens you need to complement it with one of course. If you have no specific preferences, the 55mm, 105mm and 200mm is a good start, and among the least expensive.
6) As soon you get the first lens, get started shooting! Now you realise you need to use the dumbbells more...
7) If it didn't come with a meetering prism, its time to get one now. Patience again. Can go cheaply.
8) The wood grip! You must get one. It looks cool, and maybe you can cut down on the dumbbells...?
9) And the waist level finder. And more lenses.
10) Now you discovered how expensive it is to develop 120mm in a lab. You better buy your own development tank etc.
11) Saving on development you can now buy more film....but it becomes a feed back circle. Soon you shoot film all days, and develope it all night. It's now you realise how hard it is for your arms to agitate the development tank... Back to the dumbbells!
12) And then more lenses, macro tubes, a sturdier tripod... By the way...a dedicated film freezer maybe. The familly complains the one in the kitchen have no room for food...
13) By the time you get hold of the 500mm and the gigantic 6x7 auto bellows you realise you need another room for your gear...
14) ...and a big fight with your wife ends with a peace settlement. It includes building a new house with a photo studio/darkroom for you and a room for the wifes 2m wide loom and massive amounts of textile material (or I'm sure she has some other hobby...if not, offer a spa room with bubble pool etc.).
15) Building a new house you realise how great it now is that you have such strong arms. Everyone is happy!
10-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #4603
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ LOL
10-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #4604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
How to get started on a Pentax 6x7 set up:
You hardly ever hear of a Pentax 6X7 hobbyist bringing along a second body do you?

Last edited by From1980; 10-30-2016 at 10:54 AM.
10-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #4605
Veteran Member

Thanks! I built it to use my wide angle 65mm lens, which won't play with my bender 4x5 without sourcing bag bellows. It is two wooden, boxes, one within the other. There's a t slot track epoxied into a dado in the one that I use a knob to tighten together to affix the two after focusing. You focus by sliding the one box in and out of the other.

My hope is that I can also use it for my 90mm lens, although to make the box narrow enough for a 65mm lens, you aren't left with a lot of room for expansion. In the future I might make a more "bender" like camera with standards for wide angle lenses.

I have a friend with a CNC laser cutter, the lens board is cut from it - the two pieces of aluminum on the front affix the board and let me change them out.

Here's the crude (but effective!) film holder on the back. I need to cut a hole in it to make it easier to hold in my home made ground glass.

Btw, that is a really nice looking LF camera you have there!
Double-sliding-boxes are simple but very effective! No movements, but with a 65 you'll hardly need movements anyway. Maybe rise/fall. That's it.

I do hope it works with the 90 as well. you won't be able to focus the 90 as close as the 65, but versaitlity is a good thing.

The film holder works, at least. I have a 4x5 ground glass graflock back from an old oscilloscope camera that you could simply bolt onto your camera if you're interested. Not as DIY that way, but sometimes it's welcome to find that one perfect pre-made part

Thank you for your comment on my 8x10. I didn't construct it from scratch like you did yours, but I did spend a couple months restoring it to working condition after it spent at least a quarter-century on display with the bellows open. Remarkably, though the bellows sag like crazy, they are light-tight.

I also have a newer Toko 4x5, with a selection of 4x5 lenses, and a Graflex 3x4 SLR with a 4x5 back grafted to it, and an Omega View monorail camera I picked up recently. I need to take a family portrait