Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #4696
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here's the Yashica Lynx 14E I picked up last week, with it's big, beautiful 45mm f/1.4 lens. The only problem with it is the rangefinder patch only moves from infinity down to about 10 feet, then it stops. If anyone knows how to get it moving again then that would be a great help as I'm worried that in trying to fix it I'll make a mess of the focus calibration.
very nice and wish that I could help. This Yashica has been on my radar list for a while ...

Hope that you correct everything and that we'll see some images soon. Salut, J

01-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #4697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci www,

My three non-MLU 6x7's ... from left to right; my first one that is with a newly acquired 105/2.4 ... in the middle, the one serviced by Eric H. and with a newly acquired TTL prism, and one the right a mirror up locked:jammed one that I bought cheap only for the TTL prism and the waist-level viewfinder.

I think that I may take a chance on (self) servicing the mirror locked up one after reading up a bit on this problem ... if I fail, no big deal I will sell it for parts and I will get some gray leatherette to practice with that, too ... thanks for the inspiration!

NB - not all my 67 lenses shown here (lil' wink ;-) ... )
Beautiful, Jean! I love the 6x7s and the images you make with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I found a source for GripTac outside of Cameraleather and should probably do a post with the details. It is used for sport grips, is not expensive, and is available in different colors/surfaces. I just have to remember the Web site

Steve
That's good to know, but I will still probably buy from cameraleather.com so he can keep making his superb laser-cut camera kits. I like to support the people who make stuff I like

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey

Spotmatic Motor Driv, or Drive? Must be valuable with the typo

Cheers,
Baard-Einar
I have a M nolta SRT 101 somewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Spiratone 20mm f2.8 with massive dedicated OEM lens hood in an adjoining box and Nikkor-H 300mm f4.5. Both acquired in local B&M's.
I wish we had those around here.

Here's the Yashica Lynx 14E I picked up last week, with it's big, beautiful 45mm f/1.4 lens. The only problem with it is the rangefinder patch only moves from infinity down to about 10 feet, then it stops. If anyone knows how to get it moving again then that would be a great help as I'm worried that in trying to fix it I'll make a mess of the focus calibration.

IMGP6453
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
So beautiful. The 1.4 Lynxes appeal to me.

If you want someone to go through it for a reasonable cost for you, so you don't have worry about breaking it yourself, contact Russ at Camerarefurb.com, or Mark Hama at markhama.com. Both are experienced Yashica repair techs with reasonable rates, and your little beauty is worth it.
01-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #4698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Beautiful, Jean! I love the 6x7s and the images you make with them.

That's good to know, but I will still probably buy from cameraleather.com so he can keep making his superb laser-cut camera kits. I like to support the people who make stuff I like

I wish we had those around here.

If you want someone to go through it for a reasonable cost for you, so you don't have worry about breaking it yourself, contact Russ at Camerarefurb.com, or Mark Hama at markhama.com. Both are experienced Yashica repair techs with reasonable rates, and your little beauty is worth it.
Unix,
Local is approximately 200 miles apart for the two; one in Charlotte, NC and one in Greenville, NC. Quite a few folks my age are downsizing their gear so a drive down the mountain in either direction every now and then includes a stop at either store. Both are successful by changing the business models to emphasize framing/prints/gear trade-ins/pro needs/ and some classes as well as very knowledgeable sales staffs. 20mm Spiratone/lens/shade was on the rescue rack, but gloating at the price paid is impolite.
01-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #4699
Pentaxian

I have a Minolta SRT 101 (and a 101b) - great cameras.

Another member suggested Mark Hama in the "latest acquisition" thread but I will look into repairing it myself first as I think it'll just be something stuck that needs to be freed and and maybe lubed. If I see I'm getting in too deep I'll stop and look into professionals who know what they're doing

This is the second old Yashica I've bought in the space of a year with an f/1.4 lens on it and I'm quite taken with them (the other is an M42 mount SLR). I didn't like the GTN I owned for a while because it was automatic and only worked with a battery and the Minister III is good but slow at a measly f/2.8. The Lynx feels great in the hand, operates smoothly and, as you say, is a real beauty to look at. If I get it working and test rolls turn out OK I plan on taking it to a music festival I'm going to in the summer - the fast lens will be handy and as it doesn't detach it won't get lost or stolen in a crowd.

01-20-2017, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #4700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Unix,
Local is approximately 200 miles apart for the two; one in Charlotte, NC and one in Greenville, NC. Quite a few folks my age are downsizing their gear so a drive down the mountain in either direction every now and then includes a stop at either store. Both are successful by changing the business models to emphasize framing/prints/gear trade-ins/pro needs/ and some classes as well as very knowledgeable sales staffs. 20mm Spiratone/lens/shade was on the rescue rack, but gloating at the price paid is impolite.
In order to get to any camera store whatsoever, I basically have to go out of state. But thankfully it won't be 200 miles. Good finds, and as I am headed to Charlotte next weekend I may have to drop in.

---------- Post added 01-20-17 at 09:39 AM ----------

My LX, with his own Griptac covering like the 6x7, and my M2 in the bag with Cameraleather.com kidskin verdigris leather. I have a second LX as well, with the camera body and winder in grey Griptac.

The Manfrotto bag is tiny, but adorable and perfect for holding a small kit like that, or for holding lenses, film and other accessories with the camera in "open carry".

Last edited by unixrevolution; 01-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.
01-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #4701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMGP6453
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
The Lynx is my favourite Japanese Rangefinder. This 1.4, 7 element lens is gorgeous. This model also qualifies as a defensive weapon :-)
About the movement you mention, if it is the frame lines you refer to, not the patch, which doesn't move, then I may be of help. I had a stuck frame-line on my IC Lynx 5000, so removed the top, which is easy. (check under flash holder for screws). Be gentle and watch for old foam and paper dropping out. On the Lynx 5000, a hair spring was supposed to connect the metal frame-line to the focus mechanism; in my case it had popped out of it's slot. In your case it may just need some lube.
01-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #4702
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The Lynx is my favourite Japanese Rangefinder. This 1.4, 7 element lens is gorgeous. This model also qualifies as a defensive weapon :-)
About the movement you mention, if it is the frame lines you refer to, not the patch, which doesn't move, then I may be of help. I had a stuck frame-line on my IC Lynx 5000, so removed the top, which is easy. (check under flash holder for screws). Be gentle and watch for old foam and paper dropping out. On the Lynx 5000, a hair spring was supposed to connect the metal frame-line to the focus mechanism; in my case it had popped out of it's slot. In your case it may just need some lube.
Thanks for the advice, but it's not the frame lines -it's the overlapped image within the patch that doesn't move properly. If you have any idea how to get it moving that would be great. I'm away from home for a week but when I get back I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get the Lynx working (and putting a roll of film through it, obviously ).

01-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #4703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice, but it's not the frame lines -it's the overlapped image within the patch that doesn't move properly. If you have any idea how to get it moving that would be great. I'm away from home for a week but when I get back I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get the Lynx working (and putting a roll of film through it, obviously ).
Once you get the top off, you should be able to see what moves when the focus is adjusted. There may be a linkage loose you can spot.
01-22-2017, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #4704
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New acquisition. Unfortunately I can't give a Jean-style story about how it was priced for 10€ in a thrift shop, but I'm still happy with it.

01-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #4705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
New acquisition. Unfortunately I can't give a Jean-style story about how it was priced for 10€ in a thrift shop, but I'm still happy with it.

It's very pretty I am sure the pics it takes are just as beautiful.
01-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #4706
Pentaxian

It's very pretty I am sure the pics it takes are just as beautiful.

01-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #4707
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...and when you need it, Aki-Asahi has shutter ribbons. Sadly, all Contax-style shutters require replacement of these eventually. They simply wear out.

Steve
01-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #4708
Veteran Member

What's the angry face for?

I apologize. The pics you take with it will be just as beautiful!

...and when you need it, Aki-Asahi has shutter ribbons. Sadly, all Contax-style shutters require replacement of these eventually. They simply wear out.

Steve
Everything wears out eventually.
01-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #4709
Pentaxian

Yep.

This one's been overhauled at some point, as all the speeds — even the slow ones — appear to be working properly, so hopefully it won't be for a while.

---------- Post added 2017-01-23 at 15:23 ----------

What's the angry face for?
Not to worry. It was a joke about the "that's a nice looking camera" comment. Nothing serious meant by it.
01-23-2017, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #4710
Veteran Member

Yep.

This one's been overhauled at some point, as all the speeds — even the slow ones — appear to be working properly, so hopefully it won't be for a while.

---------- Post added 2017-01-23 at 15:23 ----------

Not to worry. It was a joke about the "that's a nice looking camera" comment. Nothing serious meant by it.
But it is a nice looking camera, and it's in the "post a picture of your pretty camera" thread...