Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2017, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #5176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not sure, but I believe the manuals makes a point of not using the thumb wheel for lenses that use the outer bayonet.
I actually have the original manual for my Contax II, and this caused me to dig it out to see what it says:

"It is extremely important to note that when using long-focus lenses the focusing must be done by adjusting the ring on the lens and not by turning the usual focusing wheel on the camera. The gear ratio of the mechanism is so high with these lenses that turning the usual wheel may damage the mechanism."

Didn't spot anything on wide-angle lenses, but personally I'm still leery of doing so.

Last edited by g026r; 12-04-2017 at 10:43 PM.
12-06-2017, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #5177
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ES Twins

...and yes, the 50/1.4 on the ES II has some blacked out letters on the label
Attached Images

12-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #5178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
and yes, the 50/1.4 on the ES II has some blacked out letters on the label
Beautiful pair!

Phil.
12-16-2017, 03:46 PM - 5 Likes   #5179
Veteran Member

Decided to take another step "backwards" with my film gear with a Spotmatic F. Got it from KEH, took it to Paul at Advance Camera to go through it. Turned out only needing light seals & mirror bumper everything else was in great shape, in fact he said it was one of nicest Spotmatics he'd seen in a long time. While it was in the shop, picked up three lenses - S-M-C Takumar 28mm f3.5, Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (which turned out to be a 8 element ) and a S-M-C Takumar 135mm f2.5. In the process of running the first roll through, so far it's been a fun experience.

12-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #5180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Decided to take another step "backwards" with my film gear with a Spotmatic F. Got it from KEH, took it to Paul at Advance Camera to go through it. Turned out only needing light seals & mirror bumper everything else was in great shape, in fact he said it was one of nicest Spotmatics he'd seen in a long time. While it was in the shop, picked up three lenses - S-M-C Takumar 28mm f3.5, Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (which turned out to be a 8 element ) and a S-M-C Takumar 135mm f2.5. In the process of running the first roll through, so far it's been a fun experience.

Nice looking Spottie and a brilliant trio of lenses. Have fun. K.
12-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #5181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Nice looking Spottie and a brilliant trio of lenses. Have fun. K.
Thanks, have the first roll developed & drying right now
12-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #5182
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote

Those Pentax caps are my favorites, they just look cool and upper-class!

12-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #5183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Those Pentax caps are my favorites, they just look cool and upper-class!
They do look nice, but snap-on caps tend to stay on better. Those Takumar caps are just metal and felt, and once the felt is flattened, the caps don't stay on well.
12-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #5184
Veteran Member

The felt is easily replaced. You can buy sheets of adhesive backed felt at craft stores. I've replaced all of mine and my caps stay on very nicely.
12-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #5185
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
They do look nice, but snap-on caps tend to stay on better. Those Takumar caps are just metal and felt, and once the felt is flattened, the caps don't stay on well.
In addition, sometimes the caps are deeper than the space on the lens and get pushed off at infinity focus. Both of my ST 55/1.8s will push their caps off if the focus ring is turned to the infinity stop.

Steve
12-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #5186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In addition, sometimes the caps are deeper than the space on the lens and get pushed off at infinity focus. Both of my ST 55/1.8s will push their caps off if the focus ring is turned to the infinity stop.

Steve
Beauty and practicality seldom go hand in hand.
12-23-2017, 09:13 PM - 4 Likes   #5187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Beauty and practicality seldom go hand in hand
Not true in this case,
Been meaning to post in this thread for awhile,
Linhof Technica IV,
I found it used in a camera store in Pasadena, CA; about 1990, a full kit with three lenses, the 150 here, a 90 and a 65. The 150 converts to a 250(+/-).
Shot some with it, mostly roll film, with the Graflex (6x9) back, but also some 4x5.
I keep telling myself I'm going to be able to find an affordable digital 4x5 back some day....
Anyway,
Enjoy:
12-25-2017, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #5188
Veteran Member

I must have been a REALLY good boy this year. Santa was very kind. This is a camera that I have longed for since I saw it advertised in Shutterbug magazine back in the 80s when I was a teenager. I realize that this isn't a Pentax but they never had such an offering as far as I know. This thing is nearly perfect. In fact, if I didn't know that they haven't made these in a number of years, I would have thought that it was new. It was like opening a time capsule. It even had the original price tag (70,500 yen) included. It's just too bad that the instructions are only in Japanese.

So, with no further ado...

12-29-2017, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #5189
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
"Santa" got me a nice LX so I decided it was a good time to Set up two shelves of my "keepers" These are the cameras that either have a special meaning and or I use on a regular basis. The KR-30sp was the first SLR that I bought with my own paycheck, and the Canon D60 was my first DSLR. My main users are the MX, KX and Chinon CP-5, But I really have grown to like the ES II and hope to get to know the LX well.

The shelf below these contains all the rest of my Pentax's and Canons. And my TV shelf unit is full of Ricoh's, Sears, and Chinons. My bookcase is full of everything else including a full shelf of Kodaks with there boxes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 

Last edited by kneemeister; 12-29-2017 at 08:12 PM.
12-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #5190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
"Santa" got me a nice LX so I decided it was a good time to Set up two shelves of my "keepers" These are the cameras that either have a special meaning and or I use on a regular basis. The KR-30sp was the first SLR that I bought with my own paycheck, and the Canon D60 was my first DSLR. My main users are the MX, KX and Chinon CP-5, But I really have grown to like the ES II and hope to get to know the LX well.

The shelf below these contains all the rest of my Pentax's and Canons. And my TV shelf unit is full of Ricoh's, Sears, and Chinons. My bookcase is full of everything else including a full shelf of Kodaks with there boxes.
That shelf looks too neat to have cameras that are actually used